American Atheists place sign in Times Square

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
RE: American Atheists place sign in Times Square
(12-12-2012 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... in all fairness... based on the context, I think he probably meant organized Christian groups funding intentionally insulting and malicious commercials, billboard, etc. towards atheists for the public.
As I've said earlier, this is demonstrably false.

[Image: antiatheistbillboard.jpg]

[Image: atheist_billboard.jpg]

[Image: christian-billboard-five.jpg]

[Image: billboard-pics-141.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
(12-12-2012 03:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... in all fairness... based on the context, I think he probably meant organized Christian groups funding intentionally insulting and malicious commercials, billboard, etc. towards atheists for the public.

I don't think he meant Christians in a collective sense.
If so, he didn't say so. And what about laws allowing for the arrest of atheists? They go far beyond signs...

Edit:
I should add that I don't mean Christians collectively either, but that sign wasn't posted by atheists collectively either.
That's what I'm saying... it seems to be a bratty fight between a two groups.

Just like a Catholic group doesn't encompass the whole of Christianity, neither does the American Atheist group encompass the whole of atheism.

I give people the benefit of the doubt, but, upon closer observation of detail, I do think that Catholic guy is intentionally and arrogantly encompassing all Christians.

So, now, the fight seems to get even narrower and is actually between a couple of people who get butt hurt over what each other says.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
(12-12-2012 03:32 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
As I've said earlier, this is demonstrably false.

Well then... it seems I give people too much "benefit of the doubt". I recant my statement.

If it wasn't arson, I would personally burn down those signs. Sends a horrible message about Christians. Things like this I've been fighting for awhile... it's exhausting.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
(12-12-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:32 PM)Vosur Wrote:  As I've said earlier, this is demonstrably false.

Well then... it seems I give people too much "benefit of the doubt". I recant my statement.

If it wasn't arson, I would personally burn down those signs. Sends a horrible message about Christians. Things like this I've been fighting for awhile... it's exhausting.

Give up that fight. Come, join us, don't be afraid. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
[Image: 19877650.jpg]

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Personally, instead of putting up one prominent sign a year, I'd like to see smaller, non-confrontational signs all over the states all year long.

It should be a constant little push to think. People should see it often, so it becomes a familiar part of everyday life. It shouldn't be anything to be upset about, but something that is thought provoking and encourages learning.

A constant drip hollows the stone....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Christopher Hitchens once observed believers, on a basic level, want to be slaves. Now I'm bringing this up because Christians in this country are acting like they've been victimized, which correlates with the slave observation in the previous sentence. How long have we've been hearing about how their religious beliefs are being threatened? While they're beliefs are being scrutinized and challenged, they aren't being threatened. That's why it's very difficult to have a serious discussion with them. They're so sensitive to their needs and so insensitive to the needs of others, they're bound to cry wolf the moment they're called on their hypocrisy.

So what if atheists want to put up a billboard on Times Square. If Christians, namely Catholics, don't like it, perhaps they should practice what they preach and stop imposing their beliefs on the rest of us.

If you think Superman is real, comics are historical events,
and a bite from a radioactive spider will give you superpowers,
congratulations! You're on the same playing field as a theist.
[+] 3 users Like TomS's post
12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
(12-12-2012 04:30 PM)TomS Wrote:  So what if atheists want to put up a billboard on Times Square. If Christians, namely Catholics, don't like it, perhaps they should practice what they preach and stop imposing their beliefs on the rest of us.
Practicing what they preach is, definitively, un-Christian.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
(12-12-2012 04:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Personally, instead of putting up one prominent sign a year, I'd like to see smaller, non-confrontational signs all over the states all year long.

It should be a constant little push to think. People should see it often, so it becomes a familiar part of everyday life. It shouldn't be anything to be upset about, but something that is thought provoking and encourages learning.

Yep. I felt pretty good when I saw the "Good Without God" billboard while I was driving down the highway last Spring. I've even chipped in on a couple of them.
Here are some great ones... I especially like the ones with clouds that just have simple questions and statements.
Here's a great one for right now...
[Image: tistheseason.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
(12-12-2012 04:47 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 04:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Personally, instead of putting up one prominent sign a year, I'd like to see smaller, non-confrontational signs all over the states all year long.

Yep. I felt pretty good when I saw the "Good Without God" billboard while I was driving down the highway last Spring. I've even chipped in on a couple of them.
Here are some great ones... I especially like the ones with clouds that just have simple questions and statements.
Here's a great one for right now...
[Image: tistheseason.jpg]

Had a look at those - and one thought dominated my mind: How I wish my closeted atheist parents could have seen those! Maybe they would have made it out of the closet. At the very least, it would have made them very happy to see these billboards. Validated. Not alone.

I bet there are a lot of people out there still who are just like my parents were - never able to talk about their non belief.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post