American Atheists place sign in Times Square

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
RE: American Atheists place sign in Times Square
Hey, Tom.

Hitchens only said that believers want to be slaves because he has no comprehension of what slavery is. It's pretty typical of old fat white men. How any of this has anything to do whatsoever with slavery is beyond me.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 05:19 PM
(12-12-2012 05:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Tom.

Hitchens only said that believers want to be slaves because he has no comprehension of what slavery is. It's pretty typical of old fat white men. How any of this has anything to do whatsoever with slavery is beyond me.

Matt

I think it refers to the first testament....where god approved of keeping slaves and wanted slaves to be obedient. Don't ask me for a quote - someone else here will have to supply that. I haven't touched a bible in decades.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
(12-12-2012 05:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I bet there are a lot of people out there still who are just like my parents were - never able to talk about their non belief.

I agree - some people must feel so trapped. A simple token of recognition could be such a relief to some and make all the difference in the world. It must be a mental torture to feel trapped into pretending to believe something, when you know you just do not. If more people were to view the situation in this way, they might be more sympathetic to the the overall free thinking or atheist concept.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Matt
Matt, I think you may be a bit blinkered in your view of slavery, with a specific image of it as the Afro-American experience.
I'm guessing this makes it hard for you to see the word used in any other context.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
(12-12-2012 05:41 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 05:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I bet there are a lot of people out there still who are just like my parents were - never able to talk about their non belief.

I agree - some people must feel so trapped. A simple token of recognition could be such a relief to some and make all the difference in the world. It must be a mental torture to feel trapped into pretending to believe something, when you know you just do not. If more people were to view the situation in this way, they might be more sympathetic to the the overall free thinking or atheist concept.

Well, my parents did not go to church, the pretending didn't go that far. But they were classed as catholic, paid church taxes, and didn't blink when I went to catholic school. They must have been so relieved when I stopped believing, but still they did not say anything one way or another until each was on his/her death bed. I always thought they were just apathetic catholics. There are a lot of those - they believe but don't take part in all those rituals. That's the image they kept.

They would have felt GREAT had they been able to see the turn things have taken.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I like the balance in this article. I'd have a hard time guessing the religious views of the author.

Where the hell are atheists coming up with all this money for advertising? That incident in Santa Monica (the so-called "War on Christmas 2012") happened because atheists bought 18 of 21 advertising locations. I'm astounded that they have so much money, and especially by the fact that they are out-buying churches which have so much more money -- or so one would think.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
(12-12-2012 05:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Matt

I think it refers to the first testament....where god approved of keeping slaves and wanted slaves to be obedient. Don't ask me for a quote - someone else here will have to supply that. I haven't touched a bible in decades.

Leviticus 25:44 Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

"First" testament??? I guess you're not that familiar with the bible. But some of us know it very well, luckily.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
(12-12-2012 03:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This is a minor point, but that's not completely correct. Catholicism does allow for people to go to heaven who worship other deities with dedication and in full "ignorance" of the "correct" god.
After a little bit of research, it turns out that this is indeed a popular view among Catholics. I stand corrected.
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
(12-12-2012 05:59 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 05:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think it refers to the first testament....where god approved of keeping slaves and wanted slaves to be obedient. Don't ask me for a quote - someone else here will have to supply that. I haven't touched a bible in decades.

Leviticus 25:44 Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

"First" testament??? I guess you're not that familiar with the bible. But some of us know it very well, luckily.

Thanks for that! Yep, I am a total dud when it comes to scriptures. When I was 10 I read the bible front to back and put it away never to be touched again. Until I stumbled in here I never gave religion another thought, and I am 60 now. And - I'm not going to start reading about it all, either. So thanks to you for clearing that up. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
(12-12-2012 06:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This is a minor point, but that's not completely correct. Catholicism does allow for people to go to heaven who worship other deities with dedication and in full "ignorance" of the "correct" god.
After a little bit of research, it turns out that this is indeed a popular view among Catholics. I stand corrected.
Yep, that's why missionary work is such a double-edged sword. Leave them alone, and they will go to heaven, no chance of going to hell. But preach the word of God, even once, and now they only go to heaven if they believe; the rest go to hell. Before, none go to hell, now some go to hell. I say, leave them alone, keep your missionaries home, and let everyone go to heaven.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post