American Atheists place sign in Times Square

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
RE: American Atheists place sign in Times Square
(12-12-2012 05:55 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I like the balance in this article.
Impossible. It's from Foxnews.

amirite?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-12-2012, 06:50 PM
(12-12-2012 06:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 05:55 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I like the balance in this article.
Impossible. It's from Foxnews.

amirite?

They're the only ones who'd consider it news. Drinking Beverage

Breathing - it's more art than science.
12-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:We as Christians never harass, intimidate or insult atheists.

What...

[Image: jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg]

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
13-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey, Chas.

Couple things.

1 - We're not defined by our afros.

2 - Blinkered? Either you're being naÏve or you're assuming that I am. Do you really think that a man as gifted in rhetorical speaking as Hitchens was didn't understand the impact of the connotative meaning of the word slave?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
13-12-2012, 06:33 AM
(13-12-2012 06:24 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

Couple things.

2 - Blinkered? Either you're being naÏve or you're assuming that I am. Do you really think that a man as gifted in rhetorical speaking as Hitchens was didn't understand the impact of the connotative meaning of the word slave?

Matt
Matt,

I wasn't defining a group, I was talking specifically about you and your views.
It seems you get your hackles up every time the word slave is used and deny its applicability.
This is, however, only my impression of your responses.

As for the rhetorical power of slavery references, it varies from society to society and among individuals.
-Chas

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2012, 06:56 AM
(13-12-2012 06:24 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

Couple things.

Matt

The definition of slave:

Quote:
slave
/slāv/

Noun

A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Verb

Work excessively hard: "slaving away for all those years".

Synonyms

noun.
thrall - helot - bondslave - serf - bondservant - bondman

verb.
drudge

Any perceptions, feelings, connotations and associations other than that are cultural.

Like so many other words, this word evokes different images and emotions in different people.

Best we can do with words like that (not talking about derogatory terms but words that have existed throughout history) is to respect that different people will perceive them differently.

In a historical context, many different cultures have been enslaved.

And the idiom "to slave away" is also a very old one.

Your response to hearing that word may be much closer to home, but none of us approve of slavery in any way.

Thankfully slavery is becoming more rare in this day and age, but it still occurs.

I don't think any of this was an intended response to what Hitchens said. He didn't mean it that way. All of us best allow for cultural differences, the balance of them allows a more grounded view of things for everyone. All human experience is valid.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-12-2012, 07:12 AM
This sign is hilerious. It really is. While I can see how it can be offensive, and Vosur is right on the point a out Dave Silverman. It is my personal opinion that signs are nonproductive and tedious. I personally never would erect a sign. Does that mean that I don't approve of what American Atheists are doing? Nope, Not in the slightest. Just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean that I think somebody ELSE shouldn't do it.

Now, onto the point about slavery. Hitchens is correct. Christians, in the most ardent view, are slaves to a being that created them, judges them, observes them day and night. Their whole being is owned by that deity. If you believe n the Calvinist View, it is even worse. Now, I don't claim to know much about Calvinism, but the fact alone that God HAS ALREADY planned out your life, and all you can do is mindlessly follow is very slave-like. If you don't follow his commandments, or if you rebel, God will punish you with an extreme punishment that should NEVER be on the table.

God, if he exists, would be essentially a slave master. He might not own us legally, but if we follow him, he will control so many aspects of our lives that legal ownership is irrelevant.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
13-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:They're so sensitive to their needs and so insensitive to the needs of
others, they're bound to cry wolf the moment they're called on their
hypocrisy.

I couldn't agree more with this sentence.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
13-12-2012, 10:43 AM
(12-12-2012 06:39 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 06:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  After a little bit of research, it turns out that this is indeed a popular view among Catholics. I stand corrected.
Yep, that's why missionary work is such a double-edged sword. Leave them alone, and they will go to heaven, no chance of going to hell. But preach the word of God, even once, and now they only go to heaven if they believe; the rest go to hell. Before, none go to hell, now some go to hell. I say, leave them alone, keep your missionaries home, and let everyone go to heaven.
Sorry, but that's not correct either. It all depends on what's in their heart. If they hear about Catholicism and follow something else because that something else is what they truly believe, it's still considered just "ignorance" and they still have a chance of making it to heaven. I think you are right though in the cases of people who have heard, but follow nothing at all (i.e., atheists).

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
13-12-2012, 10:51 AM
(13-12-2012 10:43 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 06:39 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Yep, that's why missionary work is such a double-edged sword. Leave them alone, and they will go to heaven, no chance of going to hell. But preach the word of God, even once, and now they only go to heaven if they believe; the rest go to hell. Before, none go to hell, now some go to hell. I say, leave them alone, keep your missionaries home, and let everyone go to heaven.
Sorry, but that's not correct either. It all depends on what's in their heart. If they hear about Catholicism and follow something else because that something else is what they truly believe, it's still considered just "ignorance" and they still have a chance of making it to heaven. I think you are right though in the cases of people who have heard, but follow nothing at all (i.e., atheists).
Fail.

I hear about Catholicism and instead follow rational empirical materialist skepticism because it's what I truly believe.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user