American Exceptionalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 08:19 PM
American Exceptionalism
Never seen this before. Thanks TheBeardedDude.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-11-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: American Exceptionalism
I've never seen the show but I've wanted to watch it for the past few years now. I loved Sportsnight and liked the little bits of The West Wing I saw... but I'm not gonna watch that decade long debacle.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Hmm. Video is disabled now, but from the still shot it looked like The Newsroom.

We've been watching it. It's pretty good, a bit over dramatic at times which is a turn off for me. But it's pretty fast paced and fairly well written, has some pretty funny moments. Not my favorite show, but then there's very few series that I'll actually commit to watching so that's saying something.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-11-2014, 06:01 PM
(14-11-2014 09:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hmm. Video is disabled now, but from the still shot it looked like The Newsroom.

We've been watching it. It's pretty good, a bit over dramatic at times which is a turn off for me. But it's pretty fast paced and fairly well written, has some pretty funny moments. Not my favorite show, but then there's very few series that I'll actually commit to watching so that's saying something.

You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw

It's worth watching.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2014, 06:25 PM
My first reaction when I watched it was "It's a trick question! America isn't a country, it's part of the name of two continents!"

That's either because I'm anal, or because an anal border guy repeatedly asked my citizenship until I said United States instead of American on my way back from a visit to our friendly northern neighbors.

On a related note...

Canada is always to so happy to let me in, and the "Americans" are always such dicks when I try to come back. I don't know if that says something about me or the border guard... Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-11-2014, 06:36 PM
(15-11-2014 06:25 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  My first reaction when I watched it was "It's a trick question! America isn't a country, it's part of the name of two continents!"

That's either because I'm anal, or because an anal border guy repeatedly asked my citizenship until I said United States instead of American on my way back from a visit to our friendly northern neighbors.

On a related note...

Canada is always to so happy to let me in, and the "Americans" are always such dicks when I try to come back. I don't know if that says something about me or the border guard... Dodgy

Watch out for those Canucks. If you have problems reentering the US after visiting Canada it means the Canucks have decided they want to keep and have their way with you and they're not above bribing US Border agents to make sure that happens. Bechased

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2014, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 06:57 PM by RogueWarrior.)
"Every single one of the 9/11 attackers came through the northern border" ..... what effing BS!
ONE guy came through the northern border, the rest came through AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS.

Also iirc you have to stop for the flashing lights (might be police), but you do not have to answer border patrol questions once inside the border. Once you determine the flashing lights belong to the border patrol, you don't have to answer anything. You can't leave until he says you can because that would be 'fleeing a federal officer' but you don't have to answer questions.
Just keep asking:
  • Am I being detained?
  • Am I free to go?

15-11-2014, 07:00 PM
http://www.acluaz.org/sites/default/file...NGLISH.pdf
15-11-2014, 07:03 PM
(15-11-2014 06:46 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  "Every single one of the 9/11 attackers came through the northern border" ..... what effing BS!
ONE guy came through the northern border, the rest came through AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS.

Also iirc you have to stop for the flashing lights (might be police), but you do not have to answer border patrol questions once inside the border. Once you determine the flashing lights belong to the border patrol, you don't have to answer anything. You can't leave until he says you can because that would be 'fleeing a federal officer' but you don't have to answer questions.
Just keep asking:
  • Am I being detained?
  • Am I free to go?

Wrong thread?
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
15-11-2014, 09:36 PM
(09-11-2014 09:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I take issue with the "It sure used to be" part. At no point in history has the US ever been "the greatest country in the world," whether by his own statistical measures or other measures.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post