"American Jesus"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 04:07 PM
"American Jesus"
I just watched a movie on Netflix called American Jesus which pretty much describes how evangelical christianity uses consumerism to attract people to the churches. Watching this with atheist eyes showed me how bat-shit crazy some of the churches in this country can be. One big thing that got under my skin was one pastor states that whether or not America wants to believe this, this country was founded as a Christian nation, and the First Amendment was not designed for freedom for all religions, but for freedom to practice the Judeo-Christian religion. Why is this always the go-to position of the religious right, and where is it written that this is true. It was my understanding that the founders were mostly deists and that Pres. Adams declared that the United States is not founded as a Christian nation. Also, does anyone know when this idea began?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes smitthom624's post
13-05-2015, 04:14 PM
RE: "American Jesus"
Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. I hope it's on European Netflix.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-05-2015, 04:19 PM
This seems to be a trend. Maybe if they say it enough, it will come true?
13-05-2015, 04:27 PM
(13-05-2015 04:07 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  I just watched a movie on Netflix called American Jesus which pretty much describes how evangelical christianity uses consumerism to attract people to the churches. Watching this with atheist eyes showed me how bat-shit crazy some of the churches in this country can be. One big thing that got under my skin was one pastor states that whether or not America wants to believe this, this country was founded as a Christian nation, and the First Amendment was not designed for freedom for all religions, but for freedom to practice the Judeo-Christian religion. Why is this always the go-to position of the religious right, and where is it written that this is true. It was my understanding that the founders were mostly deists and that Pres. Adams declared that the United States is not founded as a Christian nation. Also, does anyone know when this idea began?

https://www.au.org/resources/publication...ian-nation
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
14-05-2015, 06:43 AM
The first Europeans came to North America so they could continue to burn witches......

"freedom of religion" my ass....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-05-2015, 07:53 AM
(13-05-2015 04:07 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  I just watched a movie on Netflix called American Jesus which pretty much describes how evangelical christianity uses consumerism to attract people to the churches. Watching this with atheist eyes showed me how bat-shit crazy some of the churches in this country can be. One big thing that got under my skin was one pastor states that whether or not America wants to believe this, this country was founded as a Christian nation, and the First Amendment was not designed for freedom for all religions, but for freedom to practice the Judeo-Christian religion. Why is this always the go-to position of the religious right, and where is it written that this is true. It was my understanding that the founders were mostly deists and that Pres. Adams declared that the United States is not founded as a Christian nation. Also, does anyone know when this idea began?

When I here the term American Jesus, that is has something primarily to do with what white people do, lol. I started watching the documentary, and lo and behold it was almost exclusively about white americans, and their tendency to exploit some market niche.

For the most part they all seem like typical white evangelical churches, dressed in some gimmick just to get people in the door.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
14-05-2015, 08:13 AM
(14-05-2015 07:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

When I here the term American Jesus, that is has something primarily to do with what white people do, lol. I started watching the documentary, and lo and behold it was almost exclusively about white americans, and their tendency to exploit some market niche.

For the most part they all seem like typical white evangelical churches, dressed in some gimmick just to get people in the door.

Give the RCC and Orthodox credit. The few institutions I see staying the most consistent when compared to the other denominations. Even Anglicans, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Baptists, etc have been either changing their beliefs, changing their practices or both to try to stay relevant. RCC in particular didn't do that; however, they are the ones who "got in on the ground floor" when it came to mixing science and religion. Probably the only thing keeping them relevant. Having said that, all churches are losing membership across the board.

Just goes to show how much of it is man made in the end.
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
14-05-2015, 08:36 AM
(14-05-2015 08:13 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Give the RCC and Orthodox credit. The few institutions I see staying the most consistent when compared to the other denominations. Even Anglicans, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Baptists, etc have been either changing their beliefs, changing their practices or both to try to stay relevant. RCC in particular didn't do that; however, they are the ones who "got in on the ground floor" when it came to mixing science and religion. Probably the only thing keeping them relevant.

Nah, most conservative churches remain fairly consistent in some regards, still holding to old school orthodox views, akin to ones accepted by the RCC and etc... Bill O'reilly, Sean Hannity, Jeb Bush are catholics, but their views for the most part are likely indistinguishable from conservative evangelicals. Or take popular, and almost universally esteemed evangelical pastors like John Piper, or Tim Keller. They're as old school, anti-confirmative as they come, but yet have huge followings, among both the young and the old, and across denomination boundaries.

Even the niche churches are not particularly preaching, or teaching something all that different than what might have been preached in the past. They just resort to a series of gimmicks to bring people into the pews, though their overall message is likely similar to everything else one hears in typical conservative evangelical church.

Quote:Having said that, all churches are losing membership across the board.

Some more so than others, liberal, mainline denominations, as well as the RCC more so than evangelical denominations. And these loses are primarily reserved to the Western World. And often impacting certain demographics more so than others, like whites more than blacks, men more than women.

In other parts of the world, the picture tends to be different, there are currently more Christians in China than card carrying communist.
14-05-2015, 09:25 AM
(14-05-2015 08:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or take popular, and almost universally esteemed evangelical pastors like John Piper, or Tim Keller.

That is a curious use of the word 'universally'. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-05-2015, 09:45 AM
(14-05-2015 08:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or take popular, and almost universally esteemed evangelical pastors like John Piper, or Tim Keller. They're as old school, anti-confirmative as they come, but yet have huge followings, among both the young and the old, and across denomination boundaries.

Even the niche churches are not particularly preaching, or teaching something all that different than what might have been preached in the past. They just resort to a series of gimmicks to bring people into the pews, though their overall message is likely similar to everything else one hears in typical conservative evangelical church.

My wife is reading Keller's book Reason for God now. I kind of want to read it but at the same time, I kind of want to let her read it herself since I will probably ruin it for her. Apologetics are such a joke. Any all powerful thing shouldn't need an apologist.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post