"American Jesus"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 09:53 AM
RE: "American Jesus"
(14-05-2015 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is a curious use of the word 'universally'. Consider

All I mean, is that their appeal tends to extend beyond any real denominational line, sort of like C.S Lewis.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Idk when exactly it started but from what I gather, this has to do with selfishness and the fact that Under God is in the Pledge of Allegiance (Which was not in the original pledge and was added nine years after it was created) and In God We Trust is on money which also came later. They use these "proof" that America is a Christian Nation when in fact it's a Secular Nation which is proof by the First Amendment,
Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

and by Article Six of the Constitution which forbids religious tests as a requirement to hold a government position.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-05-2015, 04:14 PM
(14-05-2015 04:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk when exactly it started but from what I gather, this has to do with selfishness and the fact that Under God is in the Pledge of Allegiance (Which was not in the original pledge and was added nine years after it was created)

More like 62 years later... the original pledge was written in 1892 and "under god" was added in 1954 as part of the anti-communism paranoia of the time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-05-2015, 04:16 PM
(14-05-2015 04:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 04:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk when exactly it started but from what I gather, this has to do with selfishness and the fact that Under God is in the Pledge of Allegiance (Which was not in the original pledge and was added nine years after it was created)

More like 62 years later... the original pledge was written in 1892 and "under god" was added in 1954 as part of the anti-communism paranoia of the time.

Woops you are correct, misread the information Facepalm

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-05-2015, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2015 06:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
Knew that thread title felt like a dangling dingleberry.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-05-2015, 02:55 AM
Well theists tend to be rather ignorant to information. It's no wonder they believe that America was founding as a Christian nation. They don't research information or check facts. Hell, most of them probably haven't even read the Bible, the book their whole religion is founded upon.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 1 user Likes TheLogicalAthiest's post
17-05-2015, 06:07 PM
They lie about having the answers to the afterlife, why not lie about the foundations of one little ol country.