Poll: Why do Americans re-make British sit-coms?
Americans don't get clever humour
Americans tend to avoid non-American shows
Both
Neither
Other
I have no idea, I just wanna vote so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]

American Perception Of Non-American Comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 07:43 PM
American Perception Of Non-American Comedy
Something that has been discussed between forum members on Skype recently is the perception in parts of the world that Americans don't "get" British humour. I think this stems from the fact that, while good American sit-coms are exported to the UK, good UK sit-coms are generally re-made for American audiences. This got me wondering why this is. I've come to two possible conclusions;

1) Americans just don't get clever humour.

2) Americans have a tendency to avoid shows with non-American characters set in other countries.

Anyone agree with either of these, or does anyone have any other conclusions?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 07:54 PM
RE: American Perception Of Non-American Comedy
My perception is that USians are too self centred about any cultural manifestation, thus perceiving foreign things as exotic and alien, that makes it harder for them to get involved enough to enjoy them.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Here in New England, we get many British comedies on public television.

They are very popular, so somebody gets it. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 09:38 PM
No. It's just that we Americans know that non-American comedians hate our freedom. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-08-2013, 10:08 PM
(10-08-2013 07:43 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Something that has been discussed between forum members on Skype recently is the perception in parts of the world that Americans don't "get" British humour. I think this stems from the fact that, while good American sit-coms are exported to the UK, good UK sit-coms are generally re-made for American audiences. This got me wondering why this is. I've come to two possible conclusions;

1) Americans just don't get clever humour.

2) Americans have a tendency to avoid shows with non-American characters set in other countries.

Anyone agree with either of these, or does anyone have any other conclusions?

Honestly I'd love to get the original sitcom than an americanized version.

Unfortunately it's not in my hands to change American t.v., but the internet has allowed me to watch the British versions which are much more entertaining.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
10-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I rather like UK humor as a US person, it's very witty and charming. Here you mostly get farts and slapstick which totally unappealing. As an anime fan Japanese humor tends to be a hit or a miss. But I'm so hard to impress that you may be asking the girl.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM
(10-08-2013 09:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  No. It's just that we Americans know that non-American comedians hate our freedom. Tongue

Freedom to say 'fuck' on national TV? Remind me which country is more liberal?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
(10-08-2013 10:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 09:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  No. It's just that we Americans know that non-American comedians hate our freedom. Tongue

Drinking Beverage

Well at least we don't lock up 17 year old girls for being dumb on facebook.Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-08-2013, 11:01 PM
(10-08-2013 10:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 10:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Freedom to say 'fuck' on national TV? Remind me which country is more liberal?

Drinking Beverage

Well at least we don't lock up 17 year old girls for being dumb on facebook.Drinking Beverage

I hadn't heard about that but...

I approve.

10-08-2013, 11:05 PM
(10-08-2013 10:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Drinking Beverage
Touche. (I'm assuming you did get the implied sarcasm in my post, I forgot to apply the sarcasm font)

I don't watch a lot of TV in general, but I love me some stand up. I tend to prefer non American comedy, and my favorite American comics are usually the ones that dig on the ridiculous tendencies of American culture. The ability to laugh at my country keeps me a bit more sane while having to endure it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco