American democracy died today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 10:09 PM
American democracy died today
In a predictable ruling based on the current make up of the SCOTUS, unlimited donations to parties is now allowable.

Unlimited donations from anyone.
Instead of 1 vote per person, it can be argued that it is now 1 vote per dollar.

CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RogueWarrior's post
02-04-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: American democracy died today
Does it have to be anonymous donations?
Because the issue is not the amount, the issue is if politicians know who donated what or not,

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
(02-04-2014 10:09 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  In a predictable ruling based on the current make up of the SCOTUS, unlimited donations to parties is now allowable.

Instead of 1 vote per person, it can be argued that it is now 1 vote per dollar.

Then do something about it.

http://www.wolf-pac.com/

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-04-2014, 10:13 PM
(02-04-2014 10:09 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Instead of 1 vote per person, it can be argued that it is now 1 vote per dollar.

It probably already was

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
03-04-2014, 02:32 AM
It died today? Then why does it smell like something has been dead in there for years now? Drinking Beverage

A few months ago, the opposite happened in Spain. They put some restrictions on who can donate and how much. Not quite the democratic country though.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
03-04-2014, 06:39 AM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-04-2014, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 07:51 AM by Banjo.)
I thought it died when Bush stole the election??

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
This plus treating corporations as individuals is going to change things.
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM
(02-04-2014 10:09 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  In a predictable ruling based on the current make up of the SCOTUS, unlimited donations to parties is now allowable.

I'm going to have to be pedantic and point out it's not completely unlimited contributions.

There was previously a maximum on total election-cycle related contributions. That's gone. There is still a limit on direct per-candidate contributions.

The pre-existing political action committee idiocy still stands. This ruling changed very little of substance.

But it's nice that they're not even pretending, now, I guess.

... this is my signature!
03-04-2014, 07:57 AM
(03-04-2014 07:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

I'm going to have to be pedantic and point out it's not completely unlimited contributions.

There was previously a maximum on total election-cycle related contributions. That's gone. There is still a limit on direct per-candidate contributions.

The pre-existing political action committee idiocy still stands. This ruling changed very little of substance.

But it's nice that they're not even pretending, now, I guess.

Don't worry in a few days Hobby Lobby will win their case and then Corporations will be granted full citizens rights. After that it won't be long until only corporations have those rights. Facepalm Worst Supreme Court Ever.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense