American education

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 11:15 PM
RE: American education
Isn't that one o' them oxymorons? XP

People here got fat and lazy and wallow in a sense of entitlement. The rest of us basically just wanna be left alone. Meh.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 11:46 PM
"do you care what the rest of the world thinks? are your people so self adsorbed in your culture?"

Can you do me a favor and not include me your generalizations? My parents were born here, they fucked here and they were here when I was born... I had no say in the matter. This is something that troubles me about generalizations. People just assume that because I was born in America, I'm some sort of mouth breathing hayseed who does nothing but swill beer, watch reality television, jerk off and wonder who won the football game. Well, for your information, I do not watch television and I couldn't care less about a fucking football.

As education goes, you're correct. It sucks in the US. The US spends more money per kid than, if I'm not mistaken, any other nation state on earth and we consistently cannot produce a graduate who can both write his name and balance a checkbook. But... we sure as hell got some real fancified football courts at our schools.

As museums go... if they are privately owned, they can claim any fool thing they want to. It's one of the very last remaining artifacts of a free marketplace, this notion that a person can put something up for sale and see if people buy it. Likewise, ignorant people can terrify their children with tales of gods and devils if they want to. I don't like it the least bit and that's why I vehemently voice my opposition to it every time someone makes the mistake of lending me their ear.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
25-02-2013, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2013 12:04 AM by Dark Light.)
God is so good
God is so good
God is so good, he's so good to me. Laugh out load

I learned that one is Sunday School, also performed it in Kindergarten, how's that for our education system? Think that's a thing of the past? Nope. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see that in a kindergarten class today in any small school in the south, and I suspect the midwest, any of the square states, and Texas as well.

Meanwhile my homestate, Tennessee, which I love despite its many flaws, bolsters this kind of thing and continues to be on the whole a shitty place for education. Lucky for me I am in an unusual pocket of education for the south. Oak Ridge (where I attend college) has some of the highest percentages of Bachelors Degree and above recipients in the country (around 40%.)

On an unrelated note, HoC, I am really glad you've returned, you mystic wonder, you weirdo, you Messiah of TTA. Big Grin
Missed ya'.

edit: To the OP, I'd like to point out, despite my earlier statement, that America does has a wonderful scientific community and we are responsible for quite a few breakthroughs is science despite our overall reluctance to accept science when it conflicts with out religious conservative Christians.

Find all posts by this user
26-02-2013, 03:05 AM
(25-02-2013 08:31 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  I just want to point this out that, America is number one in economic wealth but number 27 in the world in education. Yet, your number 1 in Western society as being the most religious, and the most anti science society in western society. I wonder if you can recover to what you were in the 1960s to 1990s?
How meaningful is the difference between 1 and 27 on this ranking? I mean if the students of number 1 country had an average score of 97.5 on a standardized test and the stundents of number 27 country had an average score of 97.1 on the same standardized test, the difference between 1 and 27 isn't very meaningful....but if the test scores vary by 20% then that is meaningful. Also how are these statistics gathered? Is it one of those things where countries self report? Some countries have been known report false numbers just to make thier regimes look good on stuff like this. The point is, don't hang your hat on statistics like this until you've examined the details behind them.
26-02-2013, 03:18 AM
(25-02-2013 11:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "do you care what the rest of the world thinks? are your people so self adsorbed in your culture?"

Can you do me a favor and not include me your generalizations? My parents were born here, they fucked here and they were here when I was born... I had no say in the matter. This is something that troubles me about generalizations. People just assume that because I was born in America, I'm some sort of mouth breathing hayseed who does nothing but swill beer, watch reality television, jerk off and wonder who won the football game. Well, for your information, I do not watch television and I couldn't care less about a fucking football.

As education goes, you're correct. It sucks in the US. The US spends more money per kid than, if I'm not mistaken, any other nation state on earth and we consistently cannot produce a graduate who can both write his name and balance a checkbook. But... we sure as hell got some real fancified football courts at our schools.

As museums go... if they are privately owned, they can claim any fool thing they want to. It's one of the very last remaining artifacts of a free marketplace, this notion that a person can put something up for sale and see if people buy it. Likewise, ignorant people can terrify their children with tales of gods and devils if they want to. I don't like it the least bit and that's why I vehemently voice my opposition to it every time someone makes the mistake of lending me their ear.
[quote][/quote]

Learn to use them.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
26-02-2013, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2013 04:26 AM by Buddy Christ.)
(25-02-2013 10:59 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  How does an American determining what to believe or not to? Under anything goes?

Which I know it doesnt, yet most of your population thinks it does...

What the fuck is religious freedom, what you can believe whatever you wanted to? that a squirrel blew a load and created everything? Obviously, America isnt open to every belief.....or you would have massive amounts of beliefs in the States.

Why are you so angry at America? Why does America have to be the torch-bearer in all things imaginable? Why are we not allowed to be 11th or 27th or 138th? We could very well be number one if we started teaching class like a military - uniforms, strict discipline, higher standards. But we would be giving up certain rights of expression and individualism just to climb a few spots on a ranking chart. What chart are you using, by the way? Because I see vastly different rankings with each chart. Everywhere from 6th to 26th. In all the rankings I've seen, America ranks higher than the UK. So again, why are you specifically targeting America? Finland and Denmark have better schools. So be it.

And yes, religious freedom is absolute religious freedom. There are over 300 denominations and sects of every religion you can think of. There are religions based around science fiction novels. There are religions focused on Elvis and Clay Aiken. Jedi Knight is a religion that started in Canada and found its way here. Weird religions. Yes you can start a religion that claims the universe is caused by a squirrel blowing a load (I believe that's the central thesis of the Veridican religion), but good luck trying to get any followers.

People are not smart. They are mammals that learned to communicate and developed an unearned sense of self-worth. So why are you so mad that America lets the morons flourish?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
26-02-2013, 04:58 AM
(25-02-2013 08:44 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  The issue is that PARTS of the US are being held back. The Northern and West/East coast part of the US are fairly innovative, liberal, well educated, wealthy, etc. and lead the world in every possible field that you could name.

Note on wealth: The amount of wealth is not important, so much as how it's distributed. You have Middle Eastern states where the vast majority of people live in abject poverty, and are essentially slaves. While you have incredible wealth concentrated in the hands of a few who live in mile high sky scrapers and can get holographic lap dances.
RE..."The Northern and West/East coast part of the US ... lead the world in every
possible field that you could name."

Um...I can only assume you're serious. Where the fuck did you get that idea from?
26-02-2013, 06:49 AM
(25-02-2013 10:59 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  How does an American determining what to believe or not to? Under anything goes?

Which I know it doesnt, yet most of your population thinks it does...

What the fuck is religious freedom, what you can believe whatever you wanted to? that a squirrel blew a load and created everything? Obviously, America isnt open to every belief.....or you would have massive amounts of beliefs in the States.

Yes and yes (to your "believe whatever you wanted to" and "squirrel orgasm creating the universe"). Of course you can believe whatever you want to... what made you think that such beliefs are illegal (or, sadly, even uncommon) in the US? And we do have massive amounts of beliefs in the states. For example, there are over 1000 different types of Christianity, and I imagine that most of them are represented here in one form or another... all legal.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
26-02-2013, 07:10 AM
(25-02-2013 11:06 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  Anyways back to my point, since you two havent answered....EDUCATION WISE?

You are very angry at us americans it seems. I was raised in the heart of the bible belt, Texas, and i do see that creationism shouldn't even be considered as something to be taught in schools. After reading this and thinking about it, I dont remember learning about god in my public schools. So you and your huge concern for a countries education which you dont have any investment in need to chill. The whole freedom thing also grabbed my attention. You have the same freedom to believe whatever the hell you want as well. Just because in Canada you guys get taught evolution is a fact from day one doesnt stop you from going home and having your indoctrinating parents tell you, "god created the earth in seven days. The devil is the reason public schools are taught that way." Any person with any sense or morality would give a person the right to believe in whatever they want. If they want to waste that much of their life believeing in nonsense so be it....
26-02-2013, 08:45 AM
ha ha. Sounds like some angry canadian is at the gates.

You've made some serious generalizations and some unsubstantiated claims. Sure, religion has gained influence in our politics and the people have voted to support those ideals. Shit happens in a country where there are elected representatives. Some were chased out of office for swinging the pendulum too far (see Santorum, Rick).

I am no expert in the american education system. I went to a private boarding school which was quite secular. My kids (4th and 5th grade) attend public school and even though I have a very sharp eye out for any religious influence, I have seen none to date. There are the horror stories to be certain but how widespread is it? I have no idea. I also think some of the failings of the american youth that are blamed on education are not entirely the educational systems fault. Parents in this country are failing their kids and our government has given more money and more money to our schools to compensate but they are treating the symptom not the disease.

Even with its faults, America is still a great place to be despite our supposed "arrogance". IMO we have become too much of a nanny state and personal responsibility which was a hallmark of the US for 200 years has taken a back seat.