American education

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: American education
One statistic isnt evidence but when many more convey similar data it comes relevant and actual evidence.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 04:59 PM
(27-02-2013 02:41 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  "No Child Left Behind"

For all of the people that like to go around yelling freedom, freedom, freedom and how the federal government is bad in this and should stay out of that, how we are being deprived of liberties and being oppressed-- neighborhoods should have been burnt to the ground over No Child Left Behind.

I wonder if they still exile people, because I might want on the list.

We had Ronald Reagan, then Bush Jr. To most OGs, that is enough to change their views so they see the house burning down as amusing entertainment, as opposed to a disastrous situation. I really don't want to believe that the house is going to burn to the ground, but if we have one more president who can get elected and fuck up EVERYTHING...

What gets me, especially when it comes to education but it's applicable to many areas, is there are tons of people who all know what to do, we just have obstacle after obstacle in the way, when it comes to implementing the proper solutions. It's a problem with conservatism, it's a problem with the right-wing, it's a problem with religion. It's a problem, and if we don't solve it, we are fucked.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
27-02-2013, 05:11 PM
(27-02-2013 04:59 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:41 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  "No Child Left Behind"

For all of the people that like to go around yelling freedom, freedom, freedom and how the federal government is bad in this and should stay out of that, how we are being deprived of liberties and being oppressed-- neighborhoods should have been burnt to the ground over No Child Left Behind.

We had Ronald Reagan, then Bush Jr. To most OGs, that is enough to change their views so they see the house burning down as amusing entertainment, as opposed to a disastrous situation. I really don't want to believe that the house is going to burn to the ground, but if we have one more president who can get elected and fuck up EVERYTHING...

What gets me, especially when it comes to education but it's applicable to many areas, is there are tons of people who all know what to do, we just have obstacle after obstacle in the way, when it comes to implementing the proper solutions. It's a problem with conservatism, it's a problem with the right-wing, it's a problem with religion. It's a problem, and if we don't solve it, we are fucked.
I always wonder what if....what if America had another republican in power after Bush Jr. I dont think America understands, how worried the rest of the western society was over this possibility.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
28-02-2013, 01:09 AM
(27-02-2013 11:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:18 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  The highly educated (few of which are American-born; i.e. not from immigrant descent) do not have enough impact on the country.
I do have to wonder what you mean by this since, except for Native Americans Indians, everyone is of immigrant decent. So who exactly is American-born? I don't think you are saying that most of the highly educated and scientifically influential people were themselves born outside the US.
To clarify, by American-born I mean part of the original settlers or those who have had many generations inhabiting the country. Those that have made a scientific contribution under America's name have only been in America for one or two generations, or only recently moved there to use the country's facilities.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Sceptical Prophet's post
28-02-2013, 02:46 AM
American education
(28-02-2013 01:09 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I do have to wonder what you mean by this since, except for Native Americans Indians, everyone is of immigrant decent. So who exactly is American-born? I don't think you are saying that most of the highly educated and scientifically influential people were themselves born outside the US.
To clarify, by American-born I mean part of the original settlers or those who have had many generations inhabiting the country. Those that have made a scientific contribution under America's name have only been in America for one or two generations, or only recently moved there to use the country's facilities.

Technically speaking, even the Native American tribes are immigrants, just from further back. Ultimately we are all of African descent. </pedant>

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
28-02-2013, 09:40 AM
(27-02-2013 04:54 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:44 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The problem with the disclaimer is the people running the museum likely believe the crap they're teaching. What would the disclaimer say? "While some disagree, we believe the information is the truth"? I don't see that working with religious-minded people who "know" they are right and couldn't care less that some others disagree. And this would probably be seen as a violation of both our freedom of speech and freedom of religion. How is this museum any different from allowing religions to say whatever they want inside their places of worship without a disclaimer?

The statistics are easily obtained by a Google search, but that's not proof. My point really is it's important to know where those statistics came from. If a study was poorly done, the results are worth crap. So how was educational level measured? How did they account for the differences in quality of education for different regions within the US (and any other country with similar disparities that were included in the studies)? Who conducted the studies? Were the samples valid? I'm not really asking for you to provide the answers as much as giving you something to think about. There are enough problems that invalidate the results of most standardized tests within a country, let alone trying to compare various countries. We have nothing better right now so we continue to use them, but it doesn't make them accurate.

Yes I know what anti-science means. I was asking you about the whole phrase that I previously quoted ("...the most anti science society in western society..."). How is the US the most anti science society in western society? What do you mean by that?
"This institution has no science backing evidence to support the claims it is endorsing, to find out what actual evidence and science has to say about the topics enclosed...contact such and such institute".
Sorry, but honestly, I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Quote:One statistic isnt evidence but when many more convey similar data it comes relevant and actual evidence.
Not necessarily, but it does become more persuasive. If all the studies have the same flaw, they are no more correct just because they all came to the same erroneous conclusion.

For example, with standardized tests, if one student takes a test in a very chilly and therefore distracting classroom while another is perfectly comfortable taking the same test, comparing their scores alone is not an accurate representation of comparative learning. The test can be repeated over and over and if the classrooms don't change, the results likely won't either. Or, if one student gets really nervous taking any test while another remains calm and relaxed, again learning is not being accurately measured in both cases. These tests measure performance, not learning. Many factors can affect performance - the environment, comfort with test-taking, preparation time, access to resource for preparation, learning style, etc. But standardized tests don't account for those things and only compare the scores. Yet, they are used as a measure of learning, intelligence, and quality of instruction received.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-02-2013, 09:42 AM
(28-02-2013 01:09 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I do have to wonder what you mean by this since, except for Native Americans Indians, everyone is of immigrant decent. So who exactly is American-born? I don't think you are saying that most of the highly educated and scientifically influential people were themselves born outside the US.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure if that's completely accurate, but I can't specifically refute it so I'll accept it unless I find examples to the contrary.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-02-2013, 11:25 AM
(25-02-2013 09:28 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 09:22 PM)smidgen Wrote:  But a museum does not effect others. If you don't like it just don't go there. It's as simple as that.
This person was stupid enough to open a stupid museum and he was free to do so. I don't understand
what the big deal is. Just don't go there.
A museum doesnt affect others? they are learning institutes...you could basically call them tools.
It is a "Christian" museum. It is a religious institution. It is frequented mostly by Christians. It is not taken seriously by any other group. We have freedom of religion here. We are supposed to be FREE from the thought police. It is part of our American psyche...we are free to be as educated, or as ignorant as we wish to be and those who do not like it can go fuck themselves. Drinking Beverage

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
Marilyn Monroe Drinking Beverage
28-02-2013, 01:11 PM
(27-02-2013 05:11 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:59 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  For all of the people that like to go around yelling freedom, freedom, freedom and how the federal government is bad in this and should stay out of that, how we are being deprived of liberties and being oppressed-- neighborhoods should have been burnt to the ground over No Child Left Behind.

I always wonder what if....what if America had another republican in power after Bush Jr. I dont think America understands, how worried the rest of the western society was over this possibility.
Considering there are a wide range of views within the republican party this is just an over generalization wrapped in a stereotype.
28-02-2013, 02:29 PM
(28-02-2013 11:25 AM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 09:28 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  A museum doesnt affect others? they are learning institutes...you could basically call them tools.
It is a "Christian" museum. It is a religious institution. It is frequented mostly by Christians. It is not taken seriously by any other group. We have freedom of religion here. We are supposed to be FREE from the thought police. It is part of our American psyche...we are free to be as educated, or as ignorant as we wish to be and those who do not like it can go fuck themselves. Drinking Beverage
You have freedom to think what you want in any democracy. Yet, you dont have the freedom to act on any thought you wish. You would still have areas in America that still would have slaves, if you had that type of freedom. That being said, its okay to make a Christian museum that refutes all of science? which parents are teaching as fact. Its almost as bad as slavery in my opinion. How can this be justified? Just because you have freedoms, does not change the facts. Those "christians" being brought to the museum are mainly children, no one has the right to teach children what they want, even in America.

I doubt many Americans agree with your statement. (I hope)