American politics "6 year old" style

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2011, 02:38 PM
RE: American politics "6 year old" style
Because no on listened to George Washington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wash...al_Parties

"Washington continues to advance his idea of the dangers of sectionalism and expands his warning to include the dangers of political parties to the government and country as a whole. [...]

While Washington accepts the fact that it is natural for people to organize and operate within groups like political parties, he also argues that every government has recognized political parties as an enemy and has sought to repress them because of their tendency to seek more power than other groups and take revenge on political opponents.

Moreover, Washington makes the case that "the alternate domination" of one party over another and coinciding efforts to exact revenge upon their opponents have led to horrible atrocities, and "is itself a frightful despotism. [...]

Washington goes on to acknowledge the fact that parties are sometimes beneficial in promoting liberty in monarchies, but argues that political parties must be restrained in a popularly elected government because of their tendency to distract the government from their duties, create unfounded jealousies among groups and regions, raise false alarms amongst the people, promote riots and insurrection, and provide foreign nations and interests access to the government where they can impose their will upon the country.

Sounds almost prescient, doesn't it?

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2011, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 08:59 AM by Lilith Pride.)
When I saw this title it made me think of Lil O'reilly rather amusing idea of a 6 year old on politics =p

Many of the founders discussed how bad our current system is. This is because they saw a system similar to what we do now back in England. But, money has talked almost the entirety of the country. It took about 80 years for business to cut in and become more important (before that it was heavily restricted). And since then it has been controlling the lives of the country as it sees fit.

I've always voted for who best represents me, because if a single state has a 3rd party candidate beat one of the major two parties that party gains ground due to the way the system works. In a state where it goes R/L/D the D becomes a 3rd party next ballot, because the L beat it. Even coming in second is a huge gain for any party that might better hold your views. And the way to make this happen is to stubbornly demand your views be heard and tell others that it won't change until they make it change. If you worry about which R/D wins you don't even really vote you just fall into the mass of people controlled by the media frenzy. Yes certain things happen when an R/D wins and for me it's safer to have a D, but neither of them constitute real change.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-09-2011, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 03:18 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
(01-04-2011 02:38 AM)The_observer Wrote:  When it comes to American politics I am like a 6 year old. So here I go...

Mommyyyyyyyyy? Dadyyyyyyyy?

Why do Americans only get to vote for 2 presidents?
Why are there only two parties?

(now please don't go *Don't ask stupid questions!Dodgy* on me or I will burst out into heart-breaking crying. Please don't make it complicated, I am only 6 you know... prepare yourself for follow up questions though Wink)

Because it takes an ENORMOUS amount of funding to get elected. And the only way to get said funding is via corporations. Corporations are not limited, like the general public, in the amount they can give in campaign contributions.

Thus, the corporations generally only fund the 2 main parties. This in turn ensures, they have enormous pull in Washington, and prevents other parties from being competitive. Currently the wealthy have the system over a barrel, and inaction is the best action.
22-09-2011, 10:51 AM
(22-09-2011 03:14 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(01-04-2011 02:38 AM)The_observer Wrote:  When it comes to American politics I am like a 6 year old. So here I go...

Mommyyyyyyyyy? Dadyyyyyyyy?

Why do Americans only get to vote for 2 presidents?
Why are there only two parties?

(now please don't go *Don't ask stupid questions!Dodgy* on me or I will burst out into heart-breaking crying. Please don't make it complicated, I am only 6 you know... prepare yourself for follow up questions though Wink)

Because it takes an ENORMOUS amount of funding to get elected. And the only way to get said funding is via corporations. Corporations are not limited, like the general public, in the amount they can give in campaign contributions.

Thus, the corporations generally only fund the 2 main parties. This in turn ensures, they have enormous pull in Washington, and prevents other parties from being competitive. Currently the wealthy have the system over a barrel, and inaction is the best action.

Which is why, when we really look at it honestly, we realize that America isn't a representative democracy, it is, really, a plutocracy.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.