Americans and Chocolate Milk... a Cause for Concern?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Tongue Americans and Chocolate Milk... a Cause for Concern?
From The Washington Post 16 June...

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey. If you do the math, that works out to 16.4 million misinformed, milk-drinking people. The equivalent of the population of Pennsylvania doesn't know that chocolate milk is milk, cocoa and sugar.

When one team of researchers interviewed fourth, 5th- and 6th-graders at an urban California high school, they found that more than half of them didn't know pickles were cucumbers, or that onions and lettuce were plants. Four in 10 didn't know that hamburgers came from cows. And three in 10 didn't know that cheese is made from milk.

Many Americans only experience food as an industrial product that doesn't look much like the original animal or plant: The USDA says orange juice is the most popular "fruit" in America, and processed potatoes—in the form of french fries and chips—rank among the top vegetables!

—I can't really gloat though as an Aussie. One grade-schooler here was talking about the current turmoil in our dairy-farming industry, and apparently asked of his teacher why we should be worrying about cows, as his mum bought their milk at the supermarket. Groan.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: Americans and Chocolate Milk... a Cause for Concern?
Talking to a High school group I mentioned that potatoes are a root crop. "Root" like trees have? How could a potato be a root? A couple of kids knew i was talking sense, but most were waiting for the punch line. No these weren't inner city kids, but suburban kids most of whom had their own cars to drive to school.
15-06-2017, 06:53 PM
I imagine this is probably true with people who deal with poverty or have a low income. Processed food is way cheaper and faster. I donated to an urban gardening project for this reason. It's difficult to do in this region, but areas like CA can grow food almost all year, and urban/school gardening programs can teach these kids amazing things about food and nutrition.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
15-06-2017, 06:55 PM
The program is called City Blossoms if anyone is interested Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
15-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Onions and lettuce are food? Blink

I call bull.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
15-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Watch out for the cows and their bovine ilk, and don't you drink the brown milk [Image: smiley-face-whistle-1.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-06-2017, 07:03 PM
That about brown cows giving chocolate milk is just propaganda from the cow union so they can get by charging more for it since the majority of the cows are not brown!
15-06-2017, 07:11 PM
I grew up in dairy country. Most of the farmers around had Holstein cows but my grandfather had Brown Swiss. A few other farmers did also...even in the heart of farm country there were kids who believed that chocolate milk came from cows like the ones on grandpa's farm.

The best was a girl who was a couple years younger than me and was around a Freshman in high school...riding the bus to school one day she pointed out the window and yelled, "circus cows!" Yeah, she never lived that down...it wasn't a circus going on in that pasture...that wasn't a gymnastic trick...that was hot bovine love. Yes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-06-2017, 07:14 PM
(15-06-2017 06:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Onions and lettuce are food? Blink

I call bull.

Lettuce is salad.

Salad is not food.

Salad is a promissory note that food will soon arrive.

Thanks to John Pinette (video is less than 2 minutes).

[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
15-06-2017, 07:18 PM
(15-06-2017 06:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Onions and lettuce are food? Blink

I call bull.

NO Bulls don't give milk at all, just the cows do.