Americans and Chocolate Milk... a Cause for Concern?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 07:29 PM
RE: Americans and Chocolate Milk... a Cause for Concern?
Before you get snooty about how dumb some people about where their food comes from, tell me -

Do you know how to kill, gut and butcher your own meat???

And I don't mean in theory.

In practice.

Can you do it????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2017, 07:40 PM
(15-06-2017 07:18 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  NO Bulls don't give milk at all, just the cows do.

But bulls give oysters, and that is some delicious food. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-06-2017, 07:59 PM
(15-06-2017 07:29 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Before you get snooty about how dumb some people about where their food comes from, tell me -

In practice.

Can you do it????

If I had to - yes. I can shoot, and I have seen the rest of the process. Unfortunately I am getting too old to wrestle a dead deer.

My beef with all this is that people don't know what FLAVOR is anymore. Yes, game does have wonderful flavor. So do sun ripened heirloom veggies, bred for centuries for flavor. Now they are bred for thick skins to ship, and non-ripening once picked so they can be artificially colored just before hitting the store.

The best quality veggies and fruit are sun ripened, fresh picked and never refrigerated. The flavors are intoxicating and SWEET. The scents are inviting.

I am not at all surprised people don't want to spend money for fresh food in the supermarkets or that they don't like veggies. Nothing much to like anymore. And I truly doubt that they have the same nutritional value fresh produce offers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-06-2017, 08:07 PM
(15-06-2017 07:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  The best quality veggies and fruit are sun ripened, fresh picked and never refrigerated. The flavors are intoxicating and SWEET. The scents are inviting.

It was only relatively recently that I heard not to refrigerate tomatoes.

Since then, I just leave them out at room temp in the kitchen and the taste far surpasses refrigerated ones.

I imagine it's the same for other veggies (though tomato is actually a fruit - sorry to be so pedantic about it), though sometimes I have no choice but to refrigerate because I don't go through them fast enough.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
15-06-2017, 08:22 PM
(15-06-2017 08:07 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 07:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  The best quality veggies and fruit are sun ripened, fresh picked and never refrigerated. The flavors are intoxicating and SWEET. The scents are inviting.

It was only relatively recently that I heard not to refrigerate tomatoes.

Since then, I just leave them out at room temp in the kitchen and the taste far surpasses refrigerated ones.

I imagine it's the same for other veggies (though tomato is actually a fruit - sorry to be so pedantic about it), though sometimes I have no choice but to refrigerate because I don't go through them fast enough.

Not leafy greens, they are best refrigerated with the root still on, wrapped in a moist paper towel and covered with plastic. They need to be cold, and they can last weeks that way. Without roots the life span is also enhanced by this. Root veggies are also kept best cool. Trouble is with sugar rich roots like carrots - they lose the sugar content in the fridge and rot and dry quickly if kept out.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-06-2017, 08:42 PM
(15-06-2017 06:53 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I imagine this is probably true with people who deal with poverty or have a low income. Processed food is way cheaper and faster. I donated to an urban gardening project for this reason. It's difficult to do in this region, but areas like CA can grow food almost all year, and urban/school gardening programs can teach these kids amazing things about food and nutrition.

Indeed, California produces year 'round. I've been buying fresh strawberries for months, here. Tongue When I lived in Idaho (mid-'70s) I remember a farmer who visited California and commented on how they were growing lettuce in January. The ground is frozen about 3 feet down in that time frame, in Idaho. I know this, because we rented an auger to dig for fence posts, and it bounced around a lot, until it got a bite by two of us leaning on it.

My 30-year-old son was in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago (here in California) and overheard two people (he says that they appeared to be about his age) talking about "what the hell was that on the label?" of a can of corn. They did not know it grew on ears, which was what the picture showed. Huh

BoT, I totally believe this, because I've known people who believed it.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-06-2017, 09:33 PM
I'll bet three times that percentage are smartasses and just click whatever answer is the funniest.

Also keep in mind that, as much fun as you all like to make of the rednecks, they're the ones doing the milking. If there are people who believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows, it's probably urbanites and not the 'muricans you have in mind.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
15-06-2017, 09:37 PM
(15-06-2017 09:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'll bet three times that percentage are smartasses and just click whatever answer is the funniest.

Also keep in mind that, as much fun as you all like to make of the rednecks, they're the ones doing the milking. If there are people who believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows, it's probably urbanites and not the 'muricans you have in mind.

Angry I've never clicked on the funniest answer, ever. Laugh out load
15-06-2017, 09:43 PM
(15-06-2017 09:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 09:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'll bet three times that percentage are smartasses and just click whatever answer is the funniest.

Angry I've never clicked on the funniest answer, ever. Laugh out load

If I click on brown cow, it's only because brown Nesquik rabbits weren't an option.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-06-2017, 12:36 AM
(15-06-2017 07:29 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Before you get snooty about how dumb some people about where their food comes from, tell me -

In practice.

Can you do it????

I haven't had to but probably could...it'd be very poorly done but I know animal anatomy decently enough if just from my 6th grade biology classes.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/