Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2016 04:40 PM by cactus.)
Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?
I live in Tennessee:

2008:
McCain: 56.9% of the popular vote - 11 electoral votes
Obama: 41.9% of the popular vote - 0 electoral votes

2012:
Romney: 59.5% of the popular vote - 11 electoral votes
Obama 39.1% of the popular vote - 0 electoral votes

This is what we like to call a "representative" democracy.

Also, the chances of my local incumbent representatives being dethroned is basically nill.

So with that in mind, let me be frank, my primary motive for voting in this election, rather than sitting on my ass at home, is to be able to tell my annoying friends and family that I voted, so that I won't have to lie to them when they ask me about it.
Just tellin' it like it is Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
30-10-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?
The symbolic gesture of a 3rd party vote, and positioning myself to capitalize on the divisiveness that will likely result from a victory by either of the ruling party clowns.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
30-10-2016, 04:27 PM
RE: Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?
In order of importance:

Protect the 2nd amendment
Repeal the ACA
Stop illegal immigration
Lower taxes

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
30-10-2016, 04:30 PM
To vote against $60,765,000 to finance the design, construction, reconstruction, extension, acquisition, improvement, enlargement, alteration, renovation, relocation, rehabilitation or repair of Library Facilities, as defined therein. Fuckin' libraries.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-10-2016, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2016 04:57 PM by cactus.)
(30-10-2016 04:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  To vote against $60,765,000 to finance the design, construction, reconstruction, extension, acquisition, improvement, enlargement, alteration, renovation, relocation, rehabilitation or repair of Library Facilities, as defined therein. Fuckin' libraries.

Which libraries? Aren't those usually funded locally?

Edit: Just read about it. That sounds like mucho dinero.
They're asking $66,591,000 for public safety buildings, too. Fuck safety as well. Fire department? Pfft, please. I run a garden hose outside by my kitchen window in case of an emergency.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
30-10-2016, 04:36 PM
My primary motivators for voting this year are the Supreme Court nomination, and really just to vote for someone who doesn't seem to be longing for this past version of America that really wasn't all that great a place to be for minorities or for women.

I really wish I could be voting for Bernie. Really do. I could have voted enthusiastically in that case. This year I am voting for 4 more years of the same-old bullshit in politics that we've dealt with for quite a while because I'd rather have more of the same than whatever crazy juice Drumpf is selling.

[+] 10 users Like Escape Artist's post
30-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Aren't referendum on various issues held at the same time and place than votes for presidency in many states? If its the case, going to vote if only to give your answer on those referendum (which can be on major issues sometime) seems like a good idea.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
30-10-2016, 06:40 PM
To do anything I can to keep Trump out of office.

We also have a couple ballot questions that are really important to me. One relates to the treatment of farm animals in confinement. The other has to do with the legalization of marijuana (medicinal is already legal).
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
30-10-2016, 07:15 PM
The Supreme Court, not turning into a banana republic (live in a swing state, so when I early voted, didn't go third party), and because I also had the Speaker of the House up for re-election in my ballot.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
30-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Frankly, just to vote. Just to make my voice heard. Just because I like to. I enjoy voting. I enjoy being a part of the conversation.

That said, it's all a blur to try to remember everything I voted on. I did vote Clinton (though I wouldn't be surprised if Trump wins somehow. Frankly, the time immediately following the election is going to be unpleasant for one reason or another regardless of who wins or what passes. Ugly protests on the way).

I also, kind of oddly, voted to repeal my state's death penalty. I am actually in favor of expansion of the DP in general, as well as looking at streamlining the process. But CA has such a huge death row, and barely ever executes anybody. The anti-DP argument of expense is actually true here.

I also voted against a Chargers stadium and in favor of more space for SDSU (which includes a smaller "Aztec Stadium").