Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2016, 07:58 AM
RE: Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?
I live in Wisconsin, where the Presidential race is close enough to make it worthwhile voting (I will be voting "anyone but Trump" -- i.e., Clinton). Also, there is a very close Senate race between the incumbent Republican (Johnson) and the Democrat who he dethroned in the last election (Feingold). It would be very satisfying to give that seat back to Feingold, especially if it helps produce a Democratic majority in the Senate.

Why those choices? Because Trump is insane, and it's vital to keep him out of office -- and because the new President (and the Senate) will be appointing at least one, and maybe three, Supreme Court justices. I don't think this country can afford to have all three of those be far-right Conservatives. It would be really sweet to have a Democratic President and Senate, which will make the Republicans deeply regret their failure to consider Obama's relatively moderate choice for SCOTUS.

I agree that local elections are as important as national ones, if not more so, but Wisconsin is gerrymandered to the point where Democrats don't have a chance. I will look at each individual race, and probably end up voting Democrat (if you haven't guessed already, I'm a Democrat), but it will be futile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-10-2016, 08:21 AM
RE: Americans, what's your primary motive for going to the polls this 2016 election?
(31-10-2016 07:15 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I always vote in the presidential elections. The others I do make an effort, but occasionally I'll miss one.

I would have enthusiastically supported Bernie Sanders. I am not a fan of Hillary Clinton, but I don't think she is any worse than many other politicians. As another poster said, Hillary represents the status quo: More of the same politics.

Trump is simply a megalomaniacal piece of shit.

The presidential race is the big issue. I don't think my state has any referendums up.

I don't know how much my vote matters. But for me voting is a tangible expression of my civil rights and it's something that I enjoy doing. I do try to read up on the candidates and issues and I don't vote on ballots that I am uninformed on.

In regards to those who abstain from voting, my opinions vary according to motivation. I can't respect laziness or apathy, but I do respect not voting, if you have a reason (say, for lack of suitable candidates).

That's my take, for whatever it's worth. Smile

I subscribe to all 3 of those reasons.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
31-10-2016, 08:25 AM
It's good to know some people won't be voting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Keep Trump out of office. The rest is pretty much noise in the system.

I do my duty, as a citizen, to vote. Hard to believe how many people care so little about this.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
31-10-2016, 09:52 AM
(30-10-2016 04:22 PM)cactus Wrote:  I live in Tennessee:

2008:
McCain: 56.9% of the popular vote - 11 electoral votes
Obama: 41.9% of the popular vote - 0 electoral votes

2012:
Romney: 59.5% of the popular vote - 11 electoral votes
Obama 39.1% of the popular vote - 0 electoral votes

US all states voting:

2008:
Obama: 52.9% of the popular vote - 365 electoral votes
McCain: 45.7% of the popular vote - 173 electoral votes

2012:
Obama: 51.5% of the popular vote - 332 electoral votes
Romney: 47.2% of the popular vote - 206 electoral votes

Two thing come to mind; Tennessee is some sort of politically unsophisticated, backwoods state (sorry) and the electoral vote ultimately tells the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta...tion,_2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta...tion,_2012

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-10-2016, 10:09 AM
(31-10-2016 07:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Go ahead and vote. See where it gets you.

I'm going to spend the morning wanking off.

It's more productive than what you're going to do.

Sure - both activities will make you feel good ---

But at the end of the day, I'll have something to show for my efforts...........

Tongue
Michigan doesn't give out "i voted" stickers?
I've no idea.

But -- I'm betting those worthless things were thought up by the same brain dead gumfruits that brought us the "Participant Trophy".....

How fucking pathetic.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-10-2016, 10:17 AM
(31-10-2016 08:25 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's good to know some people won't be voting.

I have to disagree with this—from an Aussie point of view. Can you clarify why you favour a non-voting stance? Wouldn't that be advantageous for Trump? Huh

31-10-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm not going to participate in a useless gesture that saddles me with the false guilt that I actually had a voice in appointing one of those two scumbags as POTUS. I could vote third party but that's just another scumbag of a different flavor. Plus im a realist. That's all i have to say on this dog and pony show.
31-10-2016, 10:19 AM
(31-10-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Go ahead and vote. See where it gets you.

I'm going to spend the morning wanking off.

It's more productive than what you're going to do.

Sure - both activities will make you feel good ---

But at the end of the day, I'll have something to show for my efforts...........

Yeah but... voting doesn't stain the carpet. Big Grin

31-10-2016, 10:23 AM
(31-10-2016 10:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 08:25 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's good to know some people won't be voting.

I have to disagree with this—from an Aussie point of view. Can you clarify why you favour a non-voting stance? Wouldn't that be advantageous for Trump? Huh

The cousins say they're not going to vote because Trump has told them the election will be rigged. Facepalm

And there are a few people here that I'm glad to see won't be voting as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user