Amish and Mennonite Head Coverings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Amish and Mennonite Head Coverings
I live in Pennsylvania, and see a lot of Mennonites and Amish. They both wear variations on head coverings for women. The Mennonite women wear plain head coverings while the Amish women wear heart shaped.

Anyways,

What is the Biblical or religious significance to this? Though Amish do not treat their women as second class citizens in a way that Muslims do, is this practice still an act of repression in a way?

what are your thoughts?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 11:19 AM
RE: Amish and Mennonite Head Coverings
Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.
1 Corinthians 11:4-7 ESV

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
17-06-2011, 11:30 AM
(17-06-2011 11:19 AM)theophilus Wrote:  For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.
1 Corinthians 11:4-7 ESV

I should know, when in doubt blame 1 Corinthians.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
22-04-2012, 12:56 PM
One of the interesting things about the Amish/Mennonites is that they don't have any kind of central "congress" to codify their dogma. As new questions come up, the deacons of the church in each community must determine for themselves what's Ok, and what's not. All Amish/Mennonite churches follow the rules about their hair-cutting and head-coverings, but the style, shape and color of the cap will change from community to community.

In some Amish communities it's perfectly acceptable to have rubber covered wheels on your buggy. They give a smoother ride, and are much more quiet on gravel and pavement. But in other communities, such as the one nearest where I live, rubber covered wheels are considered a sin. "If God had wanted man to have rubber tires, he'd have....well....I don't know what he'd have done...but he'd have done somethin' different!"

Ironically, in this SAME community where rubber-covered wheels are looked down on...battery powered LED flashlights are just fine!

I asked a Amish friend of mine to explain the logic in this. He told me that the official reason was that it allowed people to work after dark and hard work was considered, "pleasing to the Lord", whereas rubber tires were just quieter and more comfortable, and that was just vanity. That's the OFFICIAL reason.

The REAL reason, he told me, was that since the LED flashlights that you clip to the front of your hat, or strap to your forehead are SO practical, and so much SAFER than lanterns in a barn full of hay, that when they showed up in the local Wal-Mart everyone in the community bought one before the elders had a chance to vote on whether they were OK or not. Rather than buck the system, they simply decreed that strap-on LED headlights were Ok! Regular flashlights are still taboo.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like imlemuel's post
22-04-2012, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 04:22 PM by Thomas.)
God hates women's hair. That's some sexists stuff for sure.
I knew he had hang-ups like homophobia and racism.
I bet there was the hot Farrah Fawcett blond in High school that turned him down for prom.
Now every woman has to suffer his small penis rejection hang up.
That's the root cause of all the world's problems. God has a small penis.
This explains everything. All the natural disasters, cancer, wars, etc.
The world makes sense now.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
22-04-2012, 04:04 PM
George Carlin explains Hats perfectly.

[+] 1 user Likes Antirepublican's post