Amish report staggering growth in Midwest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Amish report staggering growth in Midwest
No, it's not the unemployed getting in on the Amish Fireplace market. It's the children.

http://www.religionnews.com/faith/clergy...in-midwest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2012, 06:48 AM
RE: Amish report staggering growth in Midwest
So, next war you guys are coming with torches and pitchforks?

I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to amish people but what's the deal? Why don't they want to use modern tools and equipment? Do they go to the hospital if something happens?
[+] 1 user Likes sillinde's post
07-08-2012, 07:37 AM
(07-08-2012 06:48 AM)sillinde Wrote:  I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to amish people but what's the deal? Why don't they want to use modern tools and equipment? Do they go to the hospital if something happens?

Just to get it out of the way, i have no relation with the amish, despite my name. Smile

As with many religions, their are different sects and faiths and the amish are no different. However the most pure (nice word for extreme) and traditional (nice word for close-minded) of the amish attempt to not be a part of the world. They live in God's eyes as God intends. They literally "shun the non-believer." (Anyone else just do a Charlie voice?)

I worked as a CNA at University of Wisconsin Hospital. One of the floors I worked on was Pediatrics. We had a few Amish families that were only there with the children because the state takes over temporary custody of the children if they become ill and need medical treatment. Everytime I went into the room, the parents would stop looking over the child, go to the corner and face the wall until I left. They did this for doctors, nurses, cnas, etc. They wouldn't even converse with the social worker. Once the child is healthy it is released back to the parents. That's really the only interaction that I have with the Amish. But they are the strictest sense of Bible literalists that you will find. If anything has potential to lead to temptation, they do not include it in their lives.

But of course that's not all Amish. Hope this helps.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 2 users Like AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 08:44 AM
(07-08-2012 07:37 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  Everytime I went into the room, the parents would go to the corner and face the wall until I left.

I wish all believers would do this.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
07-08-2012, 08:50 AM
AmishLatinJew: I'm not sure? More informed maybe but possibly even more puzzled.
07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
(07-08-2012 08:50 AM)sillinde Wrote:  AmishLatinJew: I'm not sure? More informed maybe but possibly even more puzzled.

No worries, I understand Thumbsup

It's all about the prevention of sin through the prevention of temptation. Look out, I am about to use Footloose as an example (the Kevin Bacon one). The pastor and his church in the movie did not allow dancing in their church, school, homes, etc. Kevin Bacon, who was dating the pastors daughter, argued against it. But let's focus on the Pastor as his stance on dancing was a very popular trend of thought just like those against rock n roll. And some today still hold to this thought process.

Keep in mind, I don't agree in any way with this, but this is purely informational.

To Christians, fornication is a sin. And you must strive to be without sin, because Jesus was without sin. So how do you prevent sin? Cut it off at the temptation. Matthew 26:41 and Ephesians 3:10-18 are very popular scriptures used to defend this. So using this logic... lets prevent fornication. Fornication is a sin, so therefore it has a temptation... lust and/or physical attraction! So lets stop those. Dancing can get pretty provocative and include a lot of touching. Could lead to temptation... so lets abolish it. BAM! Sex stopped! Mission accomplished. Congratulations, you are now one step closer to having your name written in the book of life.

This same thought process is why I as a child and even a teenager was not allowed to see rated R and most PG-13 movies, to go to school dances, to compete in certain sports, to watch certain sports, to say certain things, etc. etc. etc.

Now lets apply this to the Amish. They take this to a whole new level.
-Electricity: Well it's nice but not necessary. We don't want to become greedy or lazy. Let's stick with the natural necessary energy.
-Money: We don't need that. Don't want to become greedy or envious. Better stick with the barter system.
-Healthcare: We don't want to depend on man, lest we listen to man and not God. So we will stick with prayer and discipline.
-The rest of the world: The world is full of evil. They do not understand God as we do. Therefore to avoid evil companions corrupting good morals, we will set ourselves aside and form our own community.

The list can go on. Nearly every practice they have that would seem extreme even to other believers, is because they work to prevent 1st, forgive 2nd.

Now of course, there are different sects or faiths of the Amish just like any other religious category. Some there are liberal Amish that use electricity, cars, money, own property, etc. They hold acts as to what they are and the intent behind them, rather than stopping all possibility.

For what it's worth, the Amish are one of the rare extreme religous groups, that do not commit acts of violence or hate. Maybe something for the other religions to take note of.

Hope this was hopeful. Big Grin

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 2 users Like AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Okay, well I can respect that. I tolerate most religions but if they're a peaceful bunch who in no way negatively affect me or my life I can honestly respect that. I might get insulted if a person turned around and faced the corner when I entered the room, but having recently played a viking I could understand the reaction if I came in armed with a sword and looking like I did....
[+] 2 users Like sillinde's post
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
The Amish seem like peaceful folk. I admit I don't know very much about their culture, but I don't recall having heard anything particularly bad about how they conduct themselves. So, for them, I just live and let live.
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
08-08-2012, 06:36 AM
In my town the Amish go shopping dropping 500-1000 every few days--and I swear teenagers appear pregnant as they are either1-14 years old or knocked up looking. Although one I know lives next to them and said the children aren't that into it and they frequently use power (cc terminals, ax) but say its for "customers" even though it's used when they are alone. And some watch tv.

So it probably depends