Amnesia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Amnesia
I find the study of amnesia very interesting. I've seen many shows and articles regarding the phenomena and some make me think, "REALLY??!" while others gave me goosebumps.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05...57948.html

The above article I originally saw on Investigation Discovery's "Disappeared." They had her picture on the screen-the one that the hospital took of an unknown woman who was in their care. Her eyes seemed dead to me. I thought they showed her picture for an obnoxiously long time and I had to look away.

Then I remembered an episode of Scrubs where one patient attempted suicide and then when he didn't succeed and woke up in the hospital, he had no idea as to HOW he ended up there. The doctors were grappling with themselves whether or not to tell the patient that he tried to kill himself.

The other day, I thought about something along the lines of "what if a devout religious person one day woke up and was amnesiac? What if an atheist one day woke up and had amnesia?" I still haven't been able to formulate that question.

*What would the family do with their respective amnesiac?
*Do they try and make them remember that they were atheist and/or religious?
*What if the amnesiac, after realizing he/she doesn't remember anything about how they used to behave or view the world, decided religion or atheism was for them NOW?

I'd really like to have a discussion about this. I would love to write about it. The human brain is a miraculous and powerful thing.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 05:41 AM
RE: Amnesia
I don't know who you are, but I think I like you... Consider

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Unsure

I don't know who I am either.

Sleepy

04-03-2013, 06:02 AM
(04-03-2013 06:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Unsure

I don't know who I am either.

Sleepy
Well that's easy; you're me.

....I think.

04-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Re: Amnesia
There r several types of amnesia , most of them are transient , lasting for few days ..
E.g : Post head trauma i.e PC : usually starts immediatelly after waking up , typically u wake up not knowing why u r here, not remembering the last few weeks before trauma .... but you remember quit well everything before including being religeous/atheist Smile

Then u regain gradually ur memory about the past few weeks pre-trauma( that is over days-weeks) but u might never remember the moment of trauma itself (according to severity)
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
If you are referring to permanent amnesia where the person literally has to relearn everything about their life because their old memories never come back (I am not sure if this ever actually happens without significant brain damage that would also impair future learning and identity anyway, so maybe it's only theoretical), then I would try to help that person recreate who they were, not who I want them to be.

My sister is very Baptist. Irritatingly so. But if she had amnesia like I just described, I would help her regain her former self, even including her Baptist faith.

For me, restoring a loved one's identity and sense of self is more important than remaking them into a person more suitable to my own likes and dislikes.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
A few years ago, my ex suffered a huge concussion about a week after we broke up. She called me asking for my help and had completely forgotten we had broken up but she knew my number and that I would help her. She didn't even remember her name until two days later. And then she remembered that we were broken up and it was so sad seeing that. I didn't tell her earlier because I figured she was hurting enough. That's the only time I've had any experience with amnesia . even when I drove her to the hospital she knew how to exit her house but didn't recognize it from the outside, though she had been living there for a few years.
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
(04-03-2013 01:31 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  A few years ago, my ex suffered a huge concussion about a week after we broke up.
Nah, that's not suspicious. Not at all. Laugh out load

(jk)

[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I grew up around professional skydivers.

I remember this one guy, I believe his name was mark. Getting in a horrible accident and had Amnesia. Its really sad to see people have to go through something like that.

The Out Crowd.
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
The story about the chick in the link I posted just freaked me out! Huh She was in a fugue state and when she was asked what she was doing the days she was missing, she said something like, "I don't even want to think about it. It scares me that I can't recall what I was doing that whole time."

Seriously?! How can someone NOT be terrified at that prospect? What was she eating? Who did she talk to? Did she even talk to anyone? Where did she sleep?! I am both bothered and fascinated in her story.

And I can't remember if she ever got her memory back. That's so SAD! Her kids are probably so confused.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King