Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2011, 05:15 AM
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
I started playing this yesterday. I'm used to playing non-action psychological horror games (Independently made, like Yume Nikki and .flow) and while I've gotten a bit creeped out at times (and outright scared from a few portions of .flow, which was the first game to ever actually make me shout in fear), I've never experienced anything quite like this game. Tongue I love the "Nothing is Scarier" mood of the game, which I've loved in the others, but this one takes it to the extreme, and I've hid in the darkness forever, depleting my sanity meter like crazy (pun intended Tongue) out of sheer paranoia, having only seen the silhouette of a monster once so far. xD

Even so, last night was the first night in a long time I actually had a lot of trouble sleeping. I'm scared to continue on, especially after seeing a portion of a Let's Play where a player was literally screaming for his life out of fear while playing. It was hilarious, and even his friends with him, watching his play were laughing, but I know it's not going to be as fun if it happens to me. Tongue

Anyone else played it? Are there any here that are just "meh" about its scare factor? Gods of courage? xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 12:53 PM
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
I started playing a little bit(and posting my commentary on Youtube, my first real activity there). It is the nail in my coffin, the undeniable proof of something I've known for quite some time: I'm a masochist. I'm the kind of person who is always paranoid about something. There's an evil clown waiting to stab me when I open the shower curtain, the demon from Paranormal Activity will eat my toes if I don't have my blanket cover them at night, and every time I'm outside at night, there are zombies sprinting towards me. So, naturally, I decide to play Amnesia alone, at night, with a good pair of headphones, lights off. I'm not going to lie, I cried within the first ten minutes.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2011, 06:42 PM
@ebilekittae
Have you tried the previous games by the developers ? The Penumbra series ? It's in the same style if you like this sort of game Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
25-04-2011, 06:17 PM
You were scared by flOw?

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
25-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I was scared by the doors. They open by themselves, but before I realized this, I was convinced it was a monster. I feel a little bit silly running away from a door that needs it's hinges checked, but.... Hey, last time I played I got to run away from a real monster. The sweet taste of victory(I didn't even die too)...

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
25-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Sword arm startled me a couple times... ran past him, he barrels through the door, I slam a couple doors in his face and run for the ladder. Turn around as I'm climbing the ladder and hes right behind me cleaving my ass open.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
25-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I tried to sneak past a monster, but he saw me. I tried to run, but apparently you can't run will crouching, so I just hit my keybored making Chewbacca sounds instead.