Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)
http://youtu.be/pvOz4V699gk

Let me just start by saying that even though my rational mind is fully aware that these paramecia are not experiencing fear or "freaking out" (or any other conscious emotion that us humans and other higher life forms with conscious thoughts deal with) it still makes me a little sad to watch this.

But more importantly, it betrays one of the most powerful psychological phenomena that quite often lead to belief in god concepts like Yahweh, Allah, etc.

We humans are amazingly skilled at attaching human characteristics and patterns where none actually exist.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)
That was amazing to watch. It also shows that even single celled organisms have the capability to detect a predator,(far to late) and attempt to flee. This one shows a Neutrophil following the chemical trail left by a bacterium, engulfing it and destroying it. Natures awesome.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
14-05-2012, 03:14 PM
RE: Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)
The real question is, "is it having a lucid dream " ? Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Now now, BB. Everybody knows lucid dreams come from eating pizza before bed, not paramecia. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-05-2012, 03:45 PM
(14-05-2012 03:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Now now, BB. Everybody knows lucid dreams come from eating pizza before bed, not paramecia. Tongue

Dang. I thought it was onions. Too many carbs in pizza.

(I actually have a friend who somehow learned to manipulate his dreams. He can go ... hmmm ... tonight I will dream about ... (insert yer fav subject) .. and sure enough, somehow, it happens. A skill I need to develop !)

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't need that skill. There will be you-know-who, and the sleeper will never waken. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-05-2012, 04:32 PM
(14-05-2012 03:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't need that skill. There will be you-know-who, and the sleeper will never waken. Big Grin

Then just play yerself a little Jack Bach.

15-05-2012, 08:05 AM
(14-05-2012 01:07 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  That was amazing to watch. It also shows that even single celled organisms have the capability to detect a predator,(far to late) and attempt to flee. This one shows a Neutrophil following the chemical trail left by a bacterium, engulfing it and destroying it. Natures awesome.

I love this stuff both for the educational aspects and because I love the meta cognition aspect of it (e.g. watching myself think and react to the events unfold as if these animals had any real intellect or emotion).

Of course, they don't, but it's fascinating to use videos like these to reflect on the tricks the mind can and often does play on itself.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
15-05-2012, 08:34 AM
it's hard to rationalize they don't feel something, I wonder if they do feel some kind of primitive thing similar to fear or pain Consider

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-05-2012, 09:25 AM
(14-05-2012 12:57 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  We humans are amazingly skilled at attaching human characteristics and patterns where none actually exist.

Yah, we humans are good at it, anthropomorphize stuff…. Aesop… and aaahhhh…..Darwin? : )