Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2012, 12:39 PM
RE: Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)
(15-05-2012 08:34 AM)nach_in Wrote:  it's hard to rationalize they don't feel something, I wonder if they do feel some kind of primitive thing similar to fear or pain Consider
It is hard, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

They have impulses to be sure, but they are most definitely not the "fear" and "pain" that you and I feel. Those are emergent properties of an advanced nervous system, which paramecia do not possess.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2012, 04:40 PM
RE: Amoeba eats two paramecia (or why it's so easy for humans to anthropomorphize stuff)
(15-05-2012 12:39 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(15-05-2012 08:34 AM)nach_in Wrote:  it's hard to rationalize they don't feel something, I wonder if they do feel some kind of primitive thing similar to fear or pain Consider
It is hard, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

They have impulses to be sure, but they are most definitely not the "fear" and "pain" that you and I feel. Those are emergent properties of an advanced nervous system, which paramecia do not possess.
but, where's the line? we now know some apes are self concious, or something like that. Just to speculate, could be possible that we find out that this traits we always thought were only human can appear in "less evolved" animals (I mean, with less complex nervous systems) and to take it to the extremes, is it possible that a nervous system is not necessary? where's the line? food for our minds Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-05-2012, 08:50 PM
(15-05-2012 04:40 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(15-05-2012 12:39 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  It is hard, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

but, where's the line? we now know some apes are self concious, or something like that. Just to speculate, could be possible that we find out that this traits we always thought were only human can appear in "less evolved" animals (I mean, with less complex nervous systems) and to take it to the extremes, is it possible that a nervous system is not necessary? where's the line? food for our minds Big Grin
It's possible, but based on the evidence we have from various branches of science, it's highly improbable.

This, as far as I'm concerned, is like a vestal appendage of the god concept. It seems like "food for thought" but the reality is that there's a giant mountain of evidence that refutes the hypothesis.

Anything is possible and we can never be 100% certain of anything (the scientific method demands it) but if you take the time to read through the mountains of peer-reviewed evidence available to us, it's quite clear that consciousness is an emergent property of neural networks in the "new" brain. There are all sorts of fascinating examples that help illustrate this.

One of my favorites is when someone suffers a brain injury that damages the portion of the brain that responsible for conscious "seeing", leaving said person consciously "blind" and yet his/her "old" brain (the part that's not capable of conscious thought) is still able to see.

It's referred to as "blindsight":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight

Here's a fun video of blindsight in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGmWqX0MnM

Strange but true.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted