Amonkhet or how the board stalls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2017 11:10 PM by Revenant77x.)
Amonkhet or how the board stalls
So went to the prerelease of the latest Magic: The Gathering set Amonkhet (strong Egyptian theme). Man this is a grindy limited format but the standard could be quite interesting. Pulled a Liliana, Death's Majesty and tried to build around it but it just does not have the gas to get there on it's own. Could be a fun build around card for an Orzhov Zombie/Embalm deck. Did anyone else attend a prerelease?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2017, 09:58 PM
RE: Amonkhet or how the board stalls
I really wanted to go but I've gotta work tonight, might do a few drafts though. Set looks kinda weak but I think the limited environment might be fun. Combat seems interesting with all the -1/-1 counters and that mechanic where the creature gets a bonus but doesn't untap next turn.
22-04-2017, 10:30 PM
(22-04-2017 09:58 PM)Walluin Wrote:  I really wanted to go but I've gotta work tonight, might do a few drafts though. Set looks kinda weak but I think the limited environment might be fun. Combat seems interesting with all the -1/-1 counters and that mechanic where the creature gets a bonus but doesn't untap next turn.
[Image: Image.ashx?multiverseid=426906&type=card]

I dunno about weak, the new Semic Nissa is insane and there is enough artifact hate to shut down Mardu Vehicles. Given how dominate that deck has been over the last 6 months this could really open up the format.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-04-2017, 10:35 PM

22-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Yeah I haven't played standard since Zendikar block, it's all about vechiles these days isn't it, the smugglers copter thing. I looked at the list online the set looks pretty cool with the Egypt theme I'll def. do some drafts at my local comic shop.
22-04-2017, 10:54 PM
(22-04-2017 10:40 PM)Walluin Wrote:  Yeah I haven't played standard since Zendikar block, it's all about vechiles these days isn't it, the smugglers copter thing. I looked at the list online the set looks pretty cool with the Egypt theme I'll def. do some drafts at my local comic shop.

Looter scooter (Smuggler's copter) was the first Standard card banned since Jace, along with Emrakul and Reflector mage.. opps made it nearly 6 years without emergency bans and then had to do 3 at once. But Heart of Kirin is a killer.

[Image: 125847_200w.jpg]

22-04-2017, 10:57 PM
I do not understand what the fuck was just said.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-04-2017, 11:47 PM
I've read some discourse on the set on Mtg.Salvation and it seems to be getting a hot/cold reception, a lot of mediocre creatures and then the overpowered gods. Also they might have missed a few theme opportunities that could have been nice, like mummies, lichs, pharaohs, but we'll have to wait for the companion to see how it pans out. Apparently Amonkhet is the realm of Nicol Bolas so he should be making an appearance in the sequel. I think the draft format looks interesting, if you can get an early (red enchantment that deals 3 damage) then draft around those aura that keep bouncing it, (I think they are all uncommon). Or if you can get an early card that manipulates the creature counters and draft around that. Anyway I'll keep you posted on how I go over the next few weeks Rev.

Don't Believe the Hype
23-04-2017, 05:07 AM
[Image: wtBJluJ.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-04-2017, 08:31 AM
(23-04-2017 05:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: wtBJluJ.jpg]

The children play Pokemon now.