Amplifiers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Amplifiers
For nearly 7 years I've used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, for everything from open air gigs to bedroom practices.

Back in June its original speaker blew out, and despite being replaced, its never quite been the same. Plus its too fucking loud.

I'm seriously tempted by a Blues Junior... Lighter, lower power, single channel.

Just wondered if anyone here uses one, and what they think of them?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 02:29 AM
RE: Amplifiers
I've never owned a Blues Jr, but I've played through them enough. I'm not a big fan of small speakers/small cabs, the midranges tend to get compressed and nasally, especially EL-84-based amps (though I've heard some that are great, open and balanced). And I've never cared for single-channel amps for gigging, myself. But if you like the BJ's sound, then yeah, they're good amps.

HRDs are bloody loud, but you can tamp that down by getting a lower-efficiency speaker, if you want to save some ducats.

I'm getting ready to buy an amp head -- haven't decided between an Egnater Tweaker 40 or a Peavey VKII MH20. I'll probably go with the Tweaker -- I likes me the sound of big glass, and I have a quartet of Ruby 6L6s laying around anyway.
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2016, 07:05 AM
(07-02-2016 02:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I've never owned a Blues Jr, but I've played through them enough. I'm not a big fan of small speakers/small cabs, the midranges tend to get compressed and nasally, especially EL-84-based amps (though I've heard some that are great, open and balanced). And I've never cared for single-channel amps for gigging, myself. But if you like the BJ's sound, then yeah, they're good amps.

HRDs are bloody loud, but you can tamp that down by getting a lower-efficiency speaker, if you want to save some ducats.

I'm getting ready to buy an amp head -- haven't decided between an Egnater Tweaker 40 or a Peavey VKII MH20. I'll probably go with the Tweaker -- I likes me the sound of big glass, and I have a quartet of Ruby 6L6s laying around anyway.

Yeah I love the 6L6 tone. The only amp I've used with EL84s was a Vox AC15 and I wasn't very impressed. Although I wouldn't say the Junior has a small speaker. It's the same 12 inch that comes with the Hot Rods.

I'm thinking maybe one of the Jensen equipped ones might be more up my street.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-02-2016, 01:55 AM
Then it's the 84s that give it the boxiness, perhaps.

You know, for a couple of hundred more than a new BJ, you could get an old Super Champ -- 18w 6V6 amp, great clean tones, great dirt channel, and will hold resale value.
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 01:39 PM
(08-02-2016 01:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Then it's the 84s that give it the boxiness, perhaps.

You know, for a couple of hundred more than a new BJ, you could get an old Super Champ -- 18w 6V6 amp, great clean tones, great dirt channel, and will hold resale value.

I bought a Super Champ back in September... I wasn't impressed really. The little 8 inch speaker sounded like it was going to burst, so I took it back within a week. Plus it used to hiss like you wouldn't believe.

I'm actually now looking at a speaker swap for the Hot Rod... The Eminence Swamp Thang looks like it might give some life to the bottom end. Something which is seriously lacking on the drive channel. Or perhaps a Cannabis Rex.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]