Amusing acknowledgement to God in a student thesis I was reading

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 05:28 AM
RE: Amusing acknowledgement to God in a student thesis I was reading
(07-12-2013 02:53 PM)kim Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 03:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It is not appropriate for you to post this guy's acknowledgements for ridicule.

Why or, why not? Drinking Beverage

We got rid of dunce hats for a reason. Teachers shouldn't demean their students or set their students up to be ridiculed. There needs to be trust between a student and teacher. If this guy was teaching me, I wouldn't trust him to grade my academic work objectively. I'm a theist. He acts like an antitheists. Is he gonna treat me fair? Students should be concerned with learning the material being taught....not whether or not their teachers are gonna make fun of them or discriminate against them on religious grounds.

The OP should publically admit he made a mistake and ask that this thread be closed so it can descend into the depths of forum oblivion. If it can't be closed, then we should give the OP the courtesy of not resurrecting it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 06:15 AM by Free Thought.)
(08-12-2013 05:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 02:53 PM)kim Wrote:  Why or, why not? Drinking Beverage

We got rid of dunce hats for a reason. Teachers shouldn't demean their students or set their students up to be ridiculed. There needs to be trust between a student and teacher. If this guy was teaching me, I wouldn't trust him to grade my academic work objectively. I'm a theist. He acts like an antitheists. Is he gonna treat me fair? Students should be concerned with learning the material being taught....not whether or not their teachers are gonna make fun of them or discriminate against them on religious grounds.

The OP should publically admit he made a mistake and ask that this thread be closed so it can descend into the depths of forum oblivion. If it can't be closed, then we should give the OP the courtesy of not resurrecting it.

Just to point a few things out:

The student's identity has been protected; he/she has not been called out by name.
Outside a singular casual joke, the OP has not demeaned or even commented on the thesis or student in general.

Frankly, I don't understand why you are so uppity (about virtually everything) about this 'issue' when all it is is a post containing a snippet of a the acknowledgements from a completely anonymous thesis paper which included mention of a wife and acknowledgement toward a deity (which looking at the wording, is almost disturbing) along with Bibal quotes (I'd be asking for citations on them, BTI - who wrote those quotes and when they were published).

I don't see the problem; nobody dun got hurt (insofar as we know), no student's identities have been exposed in the making of this post, nor was any student publicly shamed in front of his/her peers. Anonymous forum members with "funny" names feelings however, may have been harmed.

As an afterthought: Your point about 'unfair treatment' 'cause the OP "acts like an antitheist" is kind of moot; if Student X, or you, refrain(ed) from putting deities in your academic papers, it wouldn't be a damn "problem".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
(07-12-2013 02:43 PM)natachan Wrote:  This is not a published article but a students paper submitted to a teacher and is therefore protected

This paper is available on the internet. I am a student, I was looking at the paper to help me with my essay. Big Grin

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
08-12-2013, 11:21 AM
(08-12-2013 05:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 02:53 PM)kim Wrote:  Why or, why not? Drinking Beverage

To clear this up, I am a student. I found this guys paper on the internet. I was using it to help support my essay. I haven't done anything wrong.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 3 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
08-12-2013, 11:24 AM
(08-12-2013 11:21 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 05:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  We got rid of dunce hats for a reason. Teachers shouldn't demean their students or set their students up to be ridiculed. There needs to be trust between a student and teacher. If this guy was teaching me, I wouldn't trust him to grade my academic work objectively. I'm a theist. He acts like an antitheists. Is he gonna treat me fair? Students should be concerned with learning the material being taught....not whether or not their teachers are gonna make fun of them or discriminate against them on religious grounds.

To clear this up, I am a student. I found this guys paper on the internet. I was using it to help support my essay. I haven't done anything wrong.

Touchdown! PAT is good!!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
(08-12-2013 05:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The OP should publically admit he made a mistake and ask that this thread be closed so it can descend into the depths of forum oblivion. If it can't be closed, then we should give the OP the courtesy of not resurrecting it.

Hail the new chief of TTA! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
(08-12-2013 11:19 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 02:43 PM)natachan Wrote:  This is not a published article but a students paper submitted to a teacher and is therefore protected

This paper is available on the internet. I am a student, I was looking at the paper to help me with my essay. Big Grin

Then, by all means, carry on. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't know if I had to have a certain number of words I would probably adds this too. Nothing better than filler.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
09-12-2013, 01:58 AM
(08-12-2013 11:21 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  To clear this up, I am a student. I found this guys paper on the internet. I was using it to help support my essay. I haven't done anything wrong.

I thought you were an educator. I apologize for saying your behavior was inappropriate.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post