Amway

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Amway
This is a corporation that many people are skeptical of (myself included).

Anybody willing to share some input? I have several friends trying to get rich off of it, and quite frankly the whole thing rubs me the wrong way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2012, 12:23 PM
RE: Amway
My sister got sucked into Amway years ago...her becoming rich plan ended up with her working two jobs and being in debt up to her eyeballs. She went to conventions and bought into the whole thing. She really drank the Kool Aid on that one.

Good leadership is so important. Dodgy
24-03-2012, 12:36 PM
My parents did Scamway back in the late 70s. I still remember the taste of brushing my teeth with "L.O.C." This was supposedly their wonder soap that did everything from dishes to laundry to shampoo to toothpaste. Well, it made a pretty lousy toothpaste and I assume it did everything else lousy as well!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Anybody have more recent experience? Every experience I hear of is from a time when the internet was used more by the military than anyone else or people currently in Amway.
24-03-2012, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2012 01:22 PM by Anjele.)
No, sorry...in fact, it's been so long since I even heard them mentioned that I had forgotten all about them.
They may have a different marketing approach now but if the products are the same, you can buy the an equivalent or better for less I would guess.

Added
Pulled up their site $10.50 for a toothbrush! Yikes, I was scared to look further.

Good leadership is so important. Dodgy
24-03-2012, 01:30 PM
They changed their name for a while. I'm too lazy to look it up. Too many people were calling it Scamway.
It's a total Ponzi scheme. Empty promises for the people at the bottom of the cash stream pumping dollars upline for the fat cats to collect and become richer.

I doubt they've changed this part of their Multi-Level Marketing, so I would have no other name for them than Lame Pyramid Scheme.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-03-2012, 08:56 PM
In the mid- to late- 1990's, my coworker was all glassy-eyed over it...I think they were uber "Christian" too, if I'm not mistaken?

PS-- hi Erx....kinda' miss ya' Blush

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 12:47 AM
(24-03-2012 01:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  They changed their name for a while.

I remember them calling themselves "Quixtar" but apparently the name changed to "Alticor" at some point too.

It's a scam akin to the chain-letter variety. You give money to someone and parts of it go up the line of people in your group. Basically, you allow yourself to be ripped off in the hopes that someday you'll be able to rip off some other shmuck below you in another group of suckers you have to pull in. It's a great program if you're good at ripping people off
Evil_monster
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 01:19 AM
With 3 million IBO who renewed in the last year, there is no doubt that Amway is a successful business. They are successful at selling the dreams back to the desperate. Unfortunately, they are false hopes and empty promises. One problem with most MLM businesses is that you need to be good at selling. There is a lot to learn about selling and there are very sophisticated concepts and practices that most people are unwilling to spend the time ands effort to learn. When most people sign on to a MLM they try to sell and enroll within their circle of influence ( friends and family, the people who already trust and like you) if they buy it is only because they like you. However this soon wears off and you alienate your friends and family because they feel awkward and sometimes ripped off. You have to be able to sell to complete strangers and unless you have the skills this is not very easy.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." - Abraham Lincoln
[+] 1 user Likes Misenhelter's post
26-03-2012, 01:38 PM
(24-03-2012 12:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  My parents did Scamway back in the late 70s. I still remember the taste of brushing my teeth with "L.O.C." This was supposedly their wonder soap that did everything from dishes to laundry to shampoo to toothpaste. Well, it made a pretty lousy toothpaste and I assume it did everything else lousy as well!
You did what? Brushed your teeth with that stuff? Daamn...
My parents were into Amway some time when I was a kid, once upon a time in the East. (central Europe) But mostly they bought the products for home use, that's why we still have roof overhead. The bottles and containers from the L.O.C and some washing liquid endured in our house for a decade or two of usage. Apparently, they were solidly made. I wouldn't be surprised to find their bottles today used as musical instruments and dried locust containers in many African villages. But to buy from Amway meant to buy into Amway.