Amy Poehler says "Divorce Really Sucks"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Amy Poehler says "Divorce Really Sucks"
http://www.etonline.com/news/152494_amy_...index.html

I say "No shit, Amy. Thanks for breaking your silence and sharing that little tidbit of wisdom." Dodgy

Actually, I don't have anything against Amy Poehler. I think what irritates me is ET making a big deal about it like it's news.

-Couple divorces
-Participants experience emotional distress
-Parents navigate the process of raising kids separately
-They move on and start dating again
-Just like millions of other normal people

Meanwhile someone at ET hears about it and shouts STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 03:48 AM
RE: Amy Poehler says "Divorce Really Sucks"
Eish Undecided Sorry man. There there... *pats head*...

IOW, why is this in PI&S??? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-10-2014, 03:53 AM
(15-10-2014 03:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  Eish Undecided Sorry man. There there... *pats head*...

I suspect I have some divorce related baggage of my own that I haven't unpacked yet that may have colored my interpretation of the story.

Anyway, it seemed like it might qualify for PI&S under "just want to vent and get something off your chest?" Blush

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
15-10-2014, 05:10 AM
(15-10-2014 03:53 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 03:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  Eish Undecided Sorry man. There there... *pats head*...

I suspect I have some divorce related baggage of my own that I haven't unpacked yet that may have colored my interpretation of the story.

Anyway, it seemed like it might qualify for PI&S under "just want to vent and get something off your chest?" Blush

That's the Ranting Corner.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 05:52 AM
I really hate all forms of utopia thinking. Marriage is sold as a social must when in reality we need to teach kids to know their own desires and limits. Our evolution pushes it as a must, but in reality as much as that drives us, it also causes problems.

I was married but I was lucky with my divorce, my x and I never went into it thinking it was an end all. I would not change a thing about it even though it ended. We still converse occasionally and I am very happy for her and what she has done since our divorce.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 06:00 AM
The effect of a divorce can vary wildly, from grieving to relief. It all depends on what the marriage provided/didn't provide for the individual.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Marriage in my observation, is an ineffective paradigm. If it were effective, the divorce rate wouldn't be so high. Over half of the people in the US who say "I do," get divorced. Did they all not know what marriage involved or is it just absurd to think that we are meant to be in a lifelong commitment? I renew my drivers license every few years, likewise a marriage should be "reviewed" every few years to see if it makes sense to continue. So many married people take their partners for granted. Knowing the person can "opt out" after "x" years without the penalty of divorce might change the landscape.

I know blissfully married people but they're rare. If it works for you great, but I just think it has created more problems for society than it's helped. But it has made attorneys quite rich.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
15-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Sorry you're hurting, Can of Beans. Hug Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
15-10-2014, 08:59 AM
(15-10-2014 06:14 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I know blissfully married people but they're rare. If it works for you great, but I just think it has created more problems for society than it's helped. But it has made attorneys quite rich.

I know lots of couples that have been happily married ( to the first spouse.) for a really long time.

yes, I know plenty of divorced ones too, but long time marriages arent rare in my circle. I even belong to a facebook group with most the members from high school, and a good majority are still married to the same people.

I think its just a matter of being honest about the partner you picked and whether or not you or that person are ready for it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-10-2014, 10:37 AM
So? Life is like that sometimes.