Amy Poehler says "Divorce Really Sucks"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 01:32 PM
RE: Amy Poehler says "Divorce Really Sucks"
(15-10-2014 06:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  The effect of a divorce can vary wildly, from grieving to relief. It all depends on what the marriage provided/didn't provide for the individual.

Mine was a relief. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2014, 12:14 PM
No divorce baggage for me, just marriage baggage until I ditched it. The proceedings leading up to the divorce were uplifting as I knew I'd gain my freedom. We're lucky in Canada, no mud slinging allowed. All the paperwork is done before entering the court, judge looks it over, may ask a few questions of each, done. No more than 20 min. It's not the final decree but it carries a lot of protection. Divorce is finalized at 3 months.
19-10-2014, 06:06 PM
One my biggest problems with the divorce process is simply how much it prolongs the ending of the relationship.

If a girlfriend dumps me it hurts for a little while, but the healing starts right away. If a wife dumps me months of legal formalities keeps the pain fresh. In my case it was 1.5 years from when my ex decided the marriage was over and the judge stamped off on it and nothing about the previous years being married made that year and half worthwhile.

I'm not saying the relationship wasn't good, I'm just saying that "being married" didn't make it any better than it would have been otherwise and made it a whole lot worse on the back end. We could have enjoyed all of the best parts of the relationship without the contract.

In my view, unless marriage really is a lifetime commitment, it's just a very emotionally and monetarily expensive way to practice serial monogamy.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson