An Anhedonia Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2017, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 05:10 PM by Cosmo.)
An Anhedonia Thread
For those who don't know what Anhedonia is, it's an inability to feel pleasure from activities that you used to or generally would find enjoyable. I've been feeling this more and more lately. I dont want to do anything, but I also don't want to do nothing. I feel this terrible sense of the clock ticking down on me as I waste time trying to figure out what I could do that would make me happy. It's a beautiful day. I feel like I should be out doing something, and I'm not, because another part of me doesn't even know where to start.

Has anybody else ever felt like this before? How did you get out of it? If you're there right now maybe just talking with each other honestly about it when we're feeling that way will help. That's my theory. Talking is doing something at least.

But geez, let me tell you I want to do something, but also so much nothing. Have felt like this for like a few weeks now. Kinda sucks. All the stuff I used to do for fun feels dull and grey.

Got me asking myself...

[Image: IMG_1453.jpg]

Anyways... thanks for listening. I actually do feel a little bit better.

~ 5 ~
~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
08-07-2017, 05:12 PM
RE: An Anhedonia Thread
Are you dealing with depression or have you in the past?

It may be worth looking into. You might have a mild depression that is making you sort of immobile.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Just step away from the computer and step outside. Change your reality when you feel like that. Let me know if it helps, it helped me to just do that. The hardest part is getting out the door. Once you are moving, keep moving.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
08-07-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: The Anhedonia Thread
Sounds like a fancy word for depression. I have suffered from it off and on for many years. If it goes on much longer, would you please consider seeking medical advice to rule out anything physical? It is scary how much something as treatable as a vitamin deficiency or thyroid out of whack can affect depression. I don't mean to throw that out there to minimize what you're feeling, just to say, wouldn't it be something if a vial of blood test followed by super dose of vitamin prescription would help lift the haze? Chemical imbalance doesn't have to be something huge and psychiatric. It really can be something as simple as that.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
08-07-2017, 05:16 PM
I think I might be. I don't want to cry or anything. I just don't want to do anything. It feels kinda like limbo. It's weird.

~ 5 ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-07-2017, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 05:23 PM by Cosmo.)
(08-07-2017 05:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just step away from the computer and step outside. Change your reality when you feel like that. Let me know if it helps, it helped me to just do that. The hardest part is getting out the door. Once you are moving, keep moving.

That sounds like a plan. I'll do that right now. It'll give me time to think about why I'm feeling this way. I know there must be some deep-seated reasons.

OTRC if that's two people saying depression then it likely is. If it doesn't clear up I'll see the doctor for sure. Your brain is an organ just like the rest of them.

Thanks for the advice guys. Smile

~ 5 ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
08-07-2017, 05:25 PM
(08-07-2017 05:16 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I think I might be. I don't want to cry or anything. I just don't want to do anything. It feels kinda like limbo. It's weird.

Depression isn't just wanting to curl up in the fetal position and cry. One aspect of depression is just not being able to do anything and not feeling any joy or enjoyment in things that used to bring you pleasure.

Depression is different for different people and even different at different times in the same person. If you find that the way you feel has gone on for a couple weeks, or more, it is something you should talk to your doctor about.

Of course, it can also be a sign of health issues (other than mental health).

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-07-2017, 05:27 PM
(08-07-2017 05:07 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  For those who don't know what Anhedonia is, it's an inability to feel pleasure from activities that you used to or generally would find enjoyable. I've been feeling this more and more lately. I dont want to do anything, but I also don't want to do nothing. I feel this terrible sense of the clock ticking down on me as I waste time trying to figure out what I could do that would make me happy. It's a beautiful day. I feel like I should be out doing something, and I'm not, because another part of me doesn't even know where to start.

Has anybody else ever felt like this before? How did you get out of it? If you're there right now maybe just talking with each other honestly about it when we're feeling that way will help. That's my theory. Talking is doing something at least.

But geez, let me tell you I want to do something, but also so much nothing. Have felt like this for like a few weeks now. Kinda sucks. All the stuff I used to do for fun feels dull and grey.

Got me asking myself...

[Image: IMG_1453.jpg]

Anyways... thanks for listening. I actually do feel a little bit better.

Yup, pretty much every day. I call this depression.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
08-07-2017, 05:28 PM
I find moving (even if I don't want to) helps when I feel like this. I also think planning on doing something you used to enjoy doing just for 5 or 10 minutes can sometimes help you get re-engaged. Is there something in particular going on in your life that is making you feel this way?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Yes, I've felt like that before. A couple of times in my life when I was very stressed out by family issues, a combination of situational depression and anxiety. Anhedonia is often one of the symptoms of depression.

Talking to your doctor or a counseling professional's a great idea. I worked my way through by forcing myself to go out and do things I'd once enjoyed, with other people. It wasn't fun or satisfying at first, but that changed over time.

Getting out of the house is helpful, even if it's just to take a walk. Maybe try setting a timer on your phone for an hour, walking out the door, and resolving not to go back inside or look at the phone until the timer goes off?
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post