An Anhedonia Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2017, 08:33 AM
RE: An Anhedonia Thread
(12-07-2017 07:38 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  For the record today is day 6 of no alcohol. Feels great in ways. Not so much in others. I feel super vulnerable after my last post but I'm not gonna remove it. I probably needed to do it.

Great stuff mate! Thumbsup

I'm now alcohol free, after being a regular pisspot at the drop of a hat. After around 7 years now, I feel so much better physically—although I have to admit the booze decreased my anhedonia somewhat. Although that was probably only self-deception—dumb down the brain, and dumb down your feelings? Dunno.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
13-07-2017, 11:08 AM
(08-07-2017 05:16 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I think I might be. I don't want to cry or anything. I just don't want to do anything. It feels kinda like limbo. It's weird.

Get moving, then. Once you get into the groove of a project, it takes on a momentum of its own -- at least, that's how it worked for me early in my recovery. I started building stuff with wood -- a speaker cabinet, a tool cabinet for my porch, and suchlike. I also started playing my guitar again much more regularly, and writing songs again.

Congrats on six days, too -- keep on keepin' on, brotha.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-07-2017, 11:45 AM
(08-07-2017 05:16 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I think I might be. I don't want to cry or anything. I just don't want to do anything. It feels kinda like limbo. It's weird.

Yeah, that's it. Subjective experience of time passage gets all fucked up too. Like it doesn't pass at all. Like limbo. Only way I broke out of it was dicking with my neurotransmitters. Figured that's all every other suggestion was doing indirectly anyway so I might as well bypass the middleman and manipulate them as directly as possible.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-07-2017, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 10:57 AM by GirlyMan.)
This looks like it might be worth a shot - Selank. Looks like it's a poor man's speedball, like a valium and a ritalin anxiolytic and psychostimulant only weaker. Another related one is Semax. Like most cognitive assistants, the Russians came up with them. Russkies are years ahead of the US when it comes to R&D for nootropics, anti-aging, and life extension.

This guy has COA lab test results for all of his products. What the hell, I'm game. Grab me some oxytocin spray while I'm at it, if that don't do nothing for anhedonia, nothing will.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-07-2017, 12:42 PM
(13-07-2017 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yeah, that's it. Subjective experience of time passage gets all fucked up too. Like it doesn't pass at all. Like limbo. Only way I broke out of it was dicking with my neurotransmitters. Figured that's all every other suggestion was doing indirectly anyway so I might as well bypass the middleman and manipulate them as directly as possible.

It does seem like a really weird kind of dualism, where "I" have to do things in order to make "my brain" happier. Obviously these are really one and the same, but it feels like I'm putting on a show for a panel of judges, and then how I feel depends on their scores. And I'm fucked if I know how they're going to respond sometimes.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-07-2017, 09:42 PM
(15-07-2017 10:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This looks like it might be worth a shot - Selank. Looks like it's a poor man's speedball, like a valium and a ritalin anxiolytic and psychostimulant only weaker. Another related one is Semax. Like most cognitive assistants, the Russians came up with them. Russkies are years ahead of the US when it comes to R&D for nootropics, anti-aging, and life extension.

This guy has COA lab test results for all of his products. What the hell, I'm game. Grab me some oxytocin spray while I'm at it, if that don't do nothing for anhedonia, nothing will.

Reading material for the evening. Thanks bud. Smile

' Wrote:It does seem like a really weird kind of dualism, where "I" have to do things in order to make "my brain" happier. Obviously these are really one and the same, but it feels like I'm putting on a show for a panel of judges, and then how I feel depends on their scores. And I'm fucked if I know how they're going to respond sometimes.

The mind body problem is still one of the strangest to me, unquestionably. I find the existence of the unconscious mind fascinating. I notice this dualism you describe much moreso when I attempt to meditate.

Not entirely related but there was a fascinating book I had read called Mapping the Mind - I believe it's laying around somewhere - and in it there was a chapter about how the left brain and the right brain actually do house separate personalities inside of you. The two sides do seem to want separate things when thoughts and responses are isolated from only one of the hemispheres by neuroscientists. I remember they were able to isolate thoughts from only one side at a time in patients that had serious damage to their Corpus Callosum, and the results were actually incredible.

The example I remember is of a man who was sure that he wanted a career as a dentist with the left side of his brain, who found out that he also wanted to be a Formula One driver with the right side of his brain. The latter thought had been entirely unknown to him.

I need to go find the page and the example now.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
19-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Hi Cosmo, I feel pretty much the same way lately.
Passive, listless, unmotivated and uninspired. I am one that suffers from spring depression and that usually ends by the time the season is well under way. Not so this year. For some reason I got hung up in it. Financial difficulties, social issues (loneliness), resulting in marital difficulties... etc. You get the picture....
This coincides with a relapse in feeding habits; the sugars came back in, the carbs and the alcohol, none of which helps getting on top again, except for a short kick.
So now I am once again watching my diet. Carbs do make you an addict and you will go thru withdrawal. And I am out a lot; walking the dogs, preparing winter's supply of firewood the old fashioned way, gardening.... It really helps.
Looking for something physical to do with a purpose and a result to feel good about is a lifesaver!

Hope you're doing ok!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Ron NL-S's post
20-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Hope you're doing okay too!

I've been wondering lately if Anhedonia isn't related to an overstimulation of your reward pathways. I've been having a lot of the same problems, and definitely used alcohol and tasty food to cope.

Yeah eh? So true. Something about doing something physical that has purpose seems incredibly powerful for your mental health.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~