An Article of Extreme Theistic Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 06:12 PM
An Article of Extreme Theistic Bias
Hello people. I haven't done much with religions lately, but I decided to google "atheists" and see what comes up. The first few were atheist organizations, and I came across one study from the Washington Post that addressed the topic of anti-atheism in America (not the article I'm talking about in the topic. This is it, by the way:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/w...story.html ). After going down the results, though, I came across this article:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism

Now although I'm not in politics, I know that conservatives are correlated with Christianity (and I Wikipedia'd it a while ago, apparently conservatism actually has Christianity as a fundamental part of it), although I can't really say much about that. Now when I saw an article from Conservapedia (once again, I don't know much about political philosophies, so I'm not trying to bash conservatives since I'm not very familiar with them) I expected it to be strongly against atheism, and I was indeed correct.

Reading through the article, I found that it was very heavily-oriented towards Christianity, creationism, etc. and very negative concerning atheism and evolution (evolution isn't even about religion... but creationism apparently always brings it into play). Now while I was reading this, I found many contrary assertions to what I had previously heard (the Washington Post reports a positive correlation with non-religiosity and intelligence, Conservapedia reports the opposite, for example. Or, that atheism has killed many more people than religions in general... first, atheist activity is a relatively new thing,I believe, so religions have had much more time to kill, and atheists represent a minority in the world. Combine this with the fact that religious wars have been fought for ages, and I highly doubt atheism has surpassed religion. Besides, religious killing are fought on religion, while atheist killings aren't usually about atheism, rather a nonreligious entity fights another entity.) If you would like to skim the article, or even read it somewhat thoroughly on some sections (it's quite long, I didn't really want to read all of it, although I read a good portion), then go ahead. I would guess that this kind of propaganda is one major reason why some parts of the world are so harsh towards atheists.

A couple things I took issue with: atheists have less morals (which I've seen refuted by credible sources such as WP), atheism is a religion, atheistic decline (seriously?), atheists are less charitable (this may have some backing, but I would guess that this counts all the money church rakes in... I think I've heard that independently, atheists donate more, but you can't really evaluate this towards atheists, since maybe churchgoers don't have the extra money to donate in general, don't think it necessary to donate outside of church, or other factors), and atheists are shown to be less intelligent (indirect, shown through other articles.)

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 06:55 PM
RE: An Article of Extreme Theistic Bias
Extreme theistic bias is pretty accurate. Conservapedia doesn't even make a token attempt to hide this bias, and you're right when you say that its fact-checking could use some work.

It's true that church-goers are typically more charitable, even if you don't count their Sunday offering as charity. There's a reason for this that has to do with cognitive bias -- if you do somebody a favor, it's hard to reconcile in your mind why you would both work towards selfish gains and simultaneously make sacrifices for someone else. This typically leads you to rationalize that the object of your charity is deserving, and leads to a cycle of benevolence as you'll want to keep giving in order to solidify this belief. It can also lead to other rationalizations such as "there must be a less-than-obvious benefit for my giving", which would make you more charitable in general. So even while churchgoers fill the offering plate, cognitive bias is driving them to give away more money in order to feel better about their loss.

SOURCE: Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me by Tavris and Aronson.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2012, 07:02 PM
So basically you found an article written by conservative christians that is riddled with lies and is a prime example of how these people prefer to be dishonest about reality.

Slow Clap..................Slow Clap...................Slow Clap

We already expect that from them, so this isn't anything new. Maybe one day scientists will discover the brain anomaly that causes this behavior and we can fix them before they are born. Until then, we just have to keep the facepalm on standby.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-06-2012, 07:04 PM
(29-06-2012 06:12 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  Hello people. I haven't done much with religions lately, but I decided to google "atheists" and see what comes up. The first few were atheist organizations, and I came across one study from the Washington Post that addressed the topic of anti-atheism in America (not the article I'm talking about in the topic. This is it, by the way:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/w...story.html ). After going down the results, though, I came across this article:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism

Now although I'm not in politics, I know that conservatives are correlated with Christianity (and I Wikipedia'd it a while ago, apparently conservatism actually has Christianity as a fundamental part of it), although I can't really say much about that. Now when I saw an article from Conservapedia (once again, I don't know much about political philosophies, so I'm not trying to bash conservatives since I'm not very familiar with them) I expected it to be strongly against atheism, and I was indeed correct.

Reading through the article, I found that it was very heavily-oriented towards Christianity, creationism, etc. and very negative concerning atheism and evolution (evolution isn't even about religion... but creationism apparently always brings it into play). Now while I was reading this, I found many contrary assertions to what I had previously heard (the Washington Post reports a positive correlation with non-religiosity and intelligence, Conservapedia reports the opposite, for example. Or, that atheism has killed many more people than religions in general... first, atheist activity is a relatively new thing,I believe, so religions have had much more time to kill, and atheists represent a minority in the world. Combine this with the fact that religious wars have been fought for ages, and I highly doubt atheism has surpassed religion. Besides, religious killing are fought on religion, while atheist killings aren't usually about atheism, rather a nonreligious entity fights another entity.) If you would like to skim the article, or even read it somewhat thoroughly on some sections (it's quite long, I didn't really want to read all of it, although I read a good portion), then go ahead. I would guess that this kind of propaganda is one major reason why some parts of the world are so harsh towards atheists.

A couple things I took issue with: atheists have less morals (which I've seen refuted by credible sources such as WP), atheism is a religion, atheistic decline (seriously?), atheists are less charitable (this may have some backing, but I would guess that this counts all the money church rakes in... I think I've heard that independently, atheists donate more, but you can't really evaluate this towards atheists, since maybe churchgoers don't have the extra money to donate in general, don't think it necessary to donate outside of church, or other factors), and atheists are shown to be less intelligent (indirect, shown through other articles.)
"Extreme theistic bias" is putting it mildly. It is full of lies and misrepresentations. Conservapedia is whacked-out bullshit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-06-2012, 07:28 PM
You've been reading Conservapedia... now... go... take a shower!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-06-2012, 07:38 PM
What happened to ReverendJeremiah? He used to post Conservapedia articles. For the longest time I thought it was a parody site like The Onion. Sadly it's all too real.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post