An Asexual Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
24-03-2012, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2012 03:46 PM by craniumonempty.)
RE: The Asexual Atheist
(24-03-2012 11:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW smart people, how come I keep getting a "stack overflow at line 1822" message popping up here, starting yesterday ?

What version of IE do you have? If it's 7 or 8, upgrade. Otherwise you may need to use another browser...

That or we need to change back from the wysiwyg editor, because that is the problem. I can try to track it down later, but I don't have the right tools for IE bugs currently. I'll see what I can do to track it later though.

OK, I didn't have to track it down I found it here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/84866...-max-width

It's a max-width issue from what I can tell. I'll see if deepthought can fix the width for those browsers.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2012 07:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Asexual Atheist
(24-03-2012 03:39 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(24-03-2012 11:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW smart people, how come I keep getting a "stack overflow at line 1822" message popping up here, starting yesterday ?

What version of IE do you have? If it's 7 or 8, upgrade. Otherwise you may need to use another browser...

That or we need to change back from the wysiwyg editor, because that is the problem. I can try to track it down later, but I don't have the right tools for IE bugs currently. I'll see what I can do to track it later though.

OK, I didn't have to track it down I found it here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/84866...-max-width

It's a max-width issue from what I can tell. I'll see if deepthought can fix the width for those browsers.

Ok, but don't waste much time on this. My real lap top is being repaired, and I have a really old piece of junk for a bit. Thanks.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-03-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2012 03:23 AM by Logica Humano.)
RE: An Asexual Atheist
(24-03-2012 11:23 AM)Stardust Wrote:  I am not sure where to post this, so mods, move this thread if need be.

I am asexual, which means that I do not experience sexual attraction. For those who have not heard of this term before, you can do research if the orientation intrigues you, or if you simply want more information.

For quite some time, I was uncomfortable with atheism, not because of its definition, but because of its seeming implications. You know how religious people often portray atheists: "They reject God because they want to have all the sex they want!". I perused a different forum where members supported their deconversions from Christianity, and I found that some of them had been sexually repressed by the religion. They reacted to the repression by moving in the opposite direction, developing a sexual myopia of sorts. I do believe that religion, when embraced to an extreme, can cause one to be sexually repressed. However, after my deconversion, I had absolutely no interest in sex, or romance, for that matter.

I am not here to defend my orientation. I am making an observation about what atheism can appear to imply--that an atheist is a sexually active individual.

Thoughts?
You won't mind if I just go ahead if I... Question the validity of "asexuality", in that I find it very unlikely that you feel absolutely no sexual attraction, but maybe, you do not act upon it. The urge is always there, whether or not you acknowledge it or not is a different matter.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I've known plenty of people in this postion, and yeah it's not a perfect description as often they have the occasional attraction which they tend to ignore. I've actually dated a few asexuals who were into romance. An interesting mix but t can get really confusing.

Atheism has nothing to do with sexuality. That's a silly idea =p Just understand that there is no one who can truthfully tell you what makes an atheist. Like any other label it' something many people group themselves under, but each reason can be vastly different. No one here can tell you the exact way to be atheist and you can't do it incorrectly (unless you are a theistic atheist =p)

I hope you have friends though and get some contact. A hug from time to time can really make a big difference in life.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-03-2012, 07:13 PM
(24-03-2012 12:39 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I was under the impression that asexual mean that something can reproduce by itself.........are you human?

No I'm not. Big Grin

I'm asexual; there's pix, wanna see? Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2012, 07:37 PM
you might not really be asexual. you just might not like sex enough anymore to put up with all the work and emotional baggage that goes into getting sex.To pursue a girl, or guy for that matter, much work is needed. it really is a pursuit like a cop chasing a criminal. there are alot of stops and turns. sex is very overrated as you get older. the endorphines that are released during sex are no longer powerful enough. its like a drug. you need more and more meth,cocaine,oxycotin or whatever your using to get the same high you had the first time. I 100% believe this. its the reason why guys cheat. its the reason why the divorce rate is 50% and eventually going to 70% as society becomes more advanced.
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post
24-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey, Dom.

I think that the link between sex and religion is pretty clear as day. Does that mean I have to eat some rockolate mousse?

Religion is a part of many cultural structures. It informs/codifies normative sexual behaviour for that group; norms being an absolute essential for any culture. There is an obvious discrepancy in most cultures between sexual desire/activity and normative sexual behaviour. The needs of society and the needs of the gonads are often at odds. That's where the norms come in. If you're a religious person and you feel that normative sexual behaviour is dictated by God and disseminated to you through your religion, if someone abandons/rejects your religion, then they necessarily abandon/reject those norms (the same reason some think Atheists are amoral). So it makes perfect sense to me that some religious people would jump to the conclusion that Atheism must be some giant fuck fest. But that's not true. Unless they're talking about the Raelians Cool

Hey, Stardust.

Thanks for sharing. I find asexualism fascinating. Not like I'm some Don Juan, but I can't imagine not having a sex drive. And I had no idea, as Lucradis pointed out, that it's widespread. Consider me edjumacated.

Hey, Hamata.

I'm gonna swallow the shiny hook and assume you are actually asking the question. Asexual reproduction occurs in species with no sexual dimorphism; ie, the offspring come from only one parent. It's different than asexual behaviour/tendencies in a sexual species like humans. Feel free to make the "loser" sign on your forehead and some sort of inarticulate "duhhhhh" sound if I just stated the obvious lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
25-03-2012, 07:59 AM
hamata k
what you mean is a hermaphrodite I think... but they don't reproduce alone either, they just have both sexual organs

and about asexual. I know a few years ago I heard about that term for the first time and I was stunned that there are indeed people who do not feel sexual attraction or the need or urge to be sexual active. There was a man in a documentary who actually said that he even feels bothered if a girl wants to have sex with him.
By now I understand what it is although I still don't know how especially asexual men deal... talking about blue balls...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 09:46 AM
(25-03-2012 07:59 AM)Leela Wrote:  hamata k
what you mean is a hermaphrodite I think...

Speaking of hermaphrodites .. (and ALL the millions of other genetic anomalies) .. how's THAT for "intelligent" design ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
25-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Hermaphrodites can reproduce asexually just not the human variety, That was how I treated a counselor as a kid though. He asked me if I felt asexual and I gave him a strange look and said I can't make my own babies =p

Like most thing english just rehashes the wrong terms. Let' take theory as an example =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.