An Atheist In A Christian High School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 10:23 PM by Hash Green.)
An Atheist In A Christian High School
Hello! I'm ironically a 17-year-old atheist high school student in a private christian school. We migrated in Canada last year, and my mother, having had an ingenious correlation between school shootings and public schools, enrolled me in a private christian school for the sake of my 'safety.' Now that I've walked out of religion, I feel forced when attending an hour-long school-mass that are held on every Christian holiday. I'm also suffering with my self-diagnosed social anxiety (yes, due to it, I'm socially anxious to approach anyone for help), so imagine having to sit trough a mass with no one to talk to or do for an hour. So with all this happening, I'm looking to transfer to a public school which ironically neighbors my current school (it calls to me everyday).
Here are my problems. (1) I really don't know the process of transferring schools works. In my research online, I read that you should have a good reason to transfer, and I don't know if changing religions is a good reason. (2) Many times I decided to just go for it, but I can't seem to convince myself on doing it. (3) I got a few years left of school, and I feel that I should just suck everything up and complete high school there.

This was surprisingly long than I've predicted it to be (sorry for that). Thanks for having the time to read it and helping me, though. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hash Green's post
24-08-2014, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2014 03:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: An Atheist In A Christian High School
Can't ya take a book to Mass, eh ? It is a Catholic place right ?
Have no answer for you, but welcome.
Do they really have a problem with school shootings in Canada ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi! Welcome!

I don't know the rules/regulations for changing schools in your area. You'd probably have to call the public school board for your district and ask. Are you "out" to your parent(s)? The reason I ask is because some teens are in more precarious situations than others - for example, my brother got kicked out of the house at 18 for sleeping in late and not getting up in time for church after working a late shift delivering pizzas. I'm a grown adult and still am not out to my parents. Others can come out to their parents with no problems. If you are worried about safety, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Which school provides the better education?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-08-2014, 06:09 AM
There are lots of non-Christians in religious schools. Often times they really are the best schools in the area. The catholic schools tend to be better than the local public schools. in most cases. Seeing you sad mass, I assume it is a catholic school you are attending. Use the hour of mass for self reflection.

I am an ex-catholic and ever once in a while I find myself in mass for whatever reason. I use the time for self reflection. Ever once in a while the priest homily is applicable across the board. Last week my son wanted to go and my wife (who is still very religious) was working so I took him. Great homily by the priest very worldly, even tho I bet he did not intend it to be that way.
25-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Well you could barbecue kittens. Or put posters of Hitler and Stalin in your dorm room.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
25-08-2014, 07:28 AM
1) I am posting a link for you to the student transfer center for Canada. It seems each region has its own specifics, and there are links to each region (not necessarily a single province). This is not much use to you in itself, but each link has contact information at the end, and I think this is the best place to direct your process related questions. Most seem to have emails, but some are phone only, so you are going to have to overcome your anxiety to call those. I know that is not easy, so rehearse what you are going to say, write out your specific questions in advance and take several slow deep breaths before making the call.

2) I can't convince you to do it. That has to be your decision alone. I would suggest staying for now. Take the education and leave the rest. Practice overcoming your social anxiety by asking difficult questions in Religious Education classes (if it is anything like my old Catholic school I am sure you have those). I don't mean rapid fire, every possible objection at one go, but maybe one or two questions in a class. See what responses you get and try and identify why they are invalid, assuming they are. If you get stuck, ask for help here or on other atheist forums. Try to avoid arguments that may trigger excessive anxiety though.

3) See above.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
[+] 2 users Like GodlessRN's post
25-08-2014, 09:07 AM
You say the two schools are next to each other.
You have to decide if you are going to keep the social anxiety and stay in the hole you are in or if you are going to figure out a way to beat it so you can get some happiness in life. Your choice.

Anxiety can be controlled.

Since the schools are next to each other, drop in the office at the public school one day. Explain that you attend to the school next door but would like to talk to a guidance counselor about transferring but you have some private questions you want to discuss.

It should not be a big deal. If nothing else leave with a phone number or email or leave your contact info there.

Once you get someone to discuss it with, just explain all of it. They will help you navigate thru the paperwork and discussing it with your Mom.

As for your Mom- would she kick you out for being atheist? If so, I would not reveal that info. There are ways to be true to yourself without putting yourself in a dangerous position.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-08-2014, 09:51 AM
(24-08-2014 10:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Hi! Welcome!

I don't know the rules/regulations for changing schools in your area. You'd probably have to call the public school board for your district and ask. Are you "out" to your parent(s)? The reason I ask is because some teens are in more precarious situations than others - for example, my brother got kicked out of the house at 18 for sleeping in late and not getting up in time for church after working a late shift delivering pizzas. I'm a grown adult and still am not out to my parents. Others can come out to their parents with no problems. If you are worried about safety, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Which school provides the better education?

For all I know, and also researching online, the public school is ranked higher (researching again, the public was ranked way higher). The average exam mark percentage is higher with public school, and of course the percentage of exam failed is lower. Also, I forgot to mention the most important thing. I am out to my mother, but I'm a little worried on the reaction I'll get from my father. I think that's the reason I'm careful in this situation, because maybe It'll 'force my out.'
25-08-2014, 09:56 AM
If you are planning to go to university and the public school has higher standardized test score, university entrance exam scores, etc you just found your angle. My kids are in catholic school because all of those are significantly higher than the public schools here.
25-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I would bring your parents the evidence.

Show them that you have been researching and the public school comes out ahead academically. Show them that the rate of violence is minimal, and shootings really are a rare thing.

And them remind them, that the whole purpose of attending is so that you can be successful and get the most out of the opportunities offered. That you want to be successful in the future and the best opportunity is at public.

Convince them that reasonable fears are ones with indisputable evidence, but irrational fear is no way to govern such important choices, such as schooling, in your life.

You have to do a sales pitch, make it good. Having the guidance counselor at the public school in the loop already will give you an ally. Edited to add: the guidance counselor will have all the info about problems to settle fears, and all the testing info, and all the college prep info.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller