An Atheist In A Christian High School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: An Atheist In A Christian High School
(24-08-2014 10:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Can't ya take a book to Mass, eh ? It is a Catholic place right ?
Have no answer for you, but welcome.
Do they really have a problem with school shootings in Canada ?

Oh, no. We don't have any problems with school shootings in Canada. I was sarcastic about the school shootings. My mother thinks that a shooting is likely to happen in public school based solely on the shootings she knows (e.g. Columbine).

But thanks. I'm glad to join.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 10:16 AM
(25-08-2014 07:28 AM)GodlessRN Wrote:  1) I am posting a link for you to the student transfer center for Canada. It seems each region has its own specifics, and there are links to each region (not necessarily a single province). This is not much use to you in itself, but each link has contact information at the end, and I think this is the best place to direct your process related questions. Most seem to have emails, but some are phone only, so you are going to have to overcome your anxiety to call those. I know that is not easy, so rehearse what you are going to say, write out your specific questions in advance and take several slow deep breaths before making the call.

I would love those links. I observed that I seem to be more confident after rehearsing things that I would say, and also when I know what I'm doing. If not, I'll stutter and my mind would just shut down. Those links would be really helpful. Thank you.
25-08-2014, 10:20 AM
http://www.cmec.ca/282/Programs-and-Init...index.html

I am an idiot- I forgot to include the link. Sorry. Here you go. The links to each of the local resources is at the bottom of this page. Then go to the bottom of the page it takes you to and the contact information is usually there. Several do have the opportunity for email contact, so that should make it easier.
26-08-2014, 10:04 AM
(24-08-2014 10:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Do they really have a problem with school shootings in Canada ?

Of course not! Who wouldn't? School shootings are awesome. Tongue

(25-08-2014 09:07 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You have to decide if you are going to keep the social anxiety and stay in the hole you are in or if you are going to figure out a way to beat it so you can get some happiness in life. Your choice.

Exactly this. Instead of just toughing it out for the rest of high school, try to find a way to actually enjoy your high school experience.

(25-08-2014 09:56 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If you are planning to go to university and the public school has higher standardized test score, university entrance exam scores, etc you just found your angle. My kids are in catholic school because all of those are significantly higher than the public schools here.

Use this as your loop hole to happiness. Big Grin
26-08-2014, 10:44 AM
(24-08-2014 10:19 PM)Hash Green Wrote:  ... so imagine having to sit trough a mass with no one to talk to or do for an hour.

I hate not having anyone to do for an hour!

And ironically, you may be using "ironically" wrong.

But seriously, if you're in Canada, I would bet that a significant chunk of your fellow students think Christianity is bullshit. If you're considering switching schools, maybe you could first find out if you have any other skeptics around ya. If not; worst case scenario, you've just created a valid reason to transfer.

I went to a public school in Brampton Ontario. Brampton is about 60% south Asian, so there was no shortage of religions to ridicule. And because there were so many different ones, more students realized that the whole thing was laughable.
26-08-2014, 04:46 PM
(26-08-2014 10:44 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 10:19 PM)Hash Green Wrote:  ... so imagine having to sit trough a mass with no one to talk to or do for an hour.

I hate not having anyone to do for an hour!

Oh, damn! I really didn't see that error.

(26-08-2014 10:44 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  And ironically, you may be using "ironically" wrong.

I think an atheist student studying in a christian school is an ironic situation. I'm not sure about my second usage, though. Hmm. Yup, 'coincidentally' might be appropriate... Wait, I'm not sure!

(26-08-2014 10:44 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  But seriously, if you're in Canada, I would bet that a significant chunk of your fellow students think Christianity is bullshit. If you're considering switching schools, maybe you could first find out if you have any other skeptics around ya. If not; worst case scenario, you've just created a valid reason to transfer.

Yeah, I think I'm just too scared to risk getting a violent reaction. I'm like a stick; I break easily. But, I guess that would be a very reasonable reason to transfer
27-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Well you really should try and bring up the issue with your mom. If she is unwilling to change her mind, just suck it up until your done and she can never send you to a school you do not want to go to again.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I think I'd go with Bucky's idea and sneak a book in...

Just something educational... If you're caught reading a science or maths book I doubt you'd get a bollocking.

They might even allow you to use the time for extra study...

Besides, if the mass is only during holidays then it's not so bad... If it was every week or every day I'd want out.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
29-08-2014, 01:30 PM
EDIT: I would like to thank everyone for the encouragement. One day, I felt brave enough and just went for it--well, after several hesitations. I found some reasons to transfer schools other than walking-out of faith, and told them to my parents. They thought my reasons were fair, so they gave their approval. I also started practicing socializing with actual people, trying to overcome this 'social anxiety.' (an awkwardness-inducing thing to do). But, I think I would've stayed in this hole if I had not posted a thread here, so, to everyone who've replied, thank you. I wish I could give you all something, but here, take this internet chocolate-chip cookie, or bottle of beer, wine(?), whatever you're in to. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Hash Green's post
29-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Thumbsup

Thanks for the beer, since you are still underage I will take those off your hands. Angel

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller