An Atheist Sunday Sermon by Jerry DeWitt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
RE: An Atheist Sunday Sermon by Jerry DeWitt
(04-11-2013 07:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone else who enjoyed this, but I had to turn it off after it passed 14 minutes. The tone of the speech is a cross between an evangelist preacher and an overzealous politician, both of which I find completely annoying. I just wanted to grab the guy the whole time and say "calm down, you're message isn't that exciting". I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly care for having opinions shouted at me and I think this tone is inappropriate for atheist messages. When there is truly a very deep message combined with a charismatic speaker, then it can work - for example, MLK's I Have a Dream speech. But otherwise, it strikes me like the speaker is just trying to sell me nonsense.

Were you exposed to preaching as a child, positively or negatively?

I have a theory that early exposure to preaching, lubricates our brains for possible abuse. .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
(04-11-2013 07:28 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 07:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone else who enjoyed this, but I had to turn it off after it passed 14 minutes. The tone of the speech is a cross between an evangelist preacher and an overzealous politician, both of which I find completely annoying. I just wanted to grab the guy the whole time and say "calm down, you're message isn't that exciting". I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly care for having opinions shouted at me and I think this tone is inappropriate for atheist messages. When there is truly a very deep message combined with a charismatic speaker, then it can work - for example, MLK's I Have a Dream speech. But otherwise, it strikes me like the speaker is just trying to sell me nonsense.

Were you exposed to preaching as a child, positively or negatively?

I have a theory that early exposure to preaching, lubricates our brains for possible abuse. .
I was exposed to Catholic preaching. It wasn't particularly positive or negative. Just boring. Nothing like evangelistic preaching.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
05-11-2013, 08:53 AM

No offense taken. To be fair to Jerry though, they did ask him to give a sermon. He doesn't talk that way all every time he's in front of a crowd, although I do catch hints of it every now and then. After 25 years as a pentecostal preacher it's probably a hard habit for him to break. Smile

Thanks for the feedback. It's interesting learn how this type of message is received by someone who hasn't been conditioned to receive it.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I had never heard of Jerry DeWitt until Seth's recent podcast so I know next to nothing about him. That video you posted was the first of his that I had ever heard. He's probably a nice guy and probably has a lot to offer in the atheist sphere. I just find it hard to listen to messages in that tone.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair