An Atheist in Alabama

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 06:24 PM
RE: An Atheist in Alabama
Welcome! I feel for you, I can't imagine how hard it must be in the bible belt. Good for you for thinking your way out. I should read one of those books someday.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kitty Galore's post
31-03-2015, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2015 09:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
For all you who live in Huntsville, Huntsville is not Bama. One of the highest concentrations of geeks in the country. ... Except for that Huntsville cop who threw an old Indian man to the ground for walking while brown which partially paralyzed him and then charged him with resisting arrest. Now that's muthafuckin' Bama. Thumbsup

You guys need to section off the suburb of Madison quick. Fuckers employ racists to keep the peace.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Welcome! I couldn't imagine it being a closeted atheist with a marriage and family in the equation. All the best of luck to you!

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
01-04-2015, 09:37 AM
(31-03-2015 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For all you who live in Huntsville, Huntsville is not Bama. One of the highest concentrations of geeks in the country. ... Except for that Huntsville cop who threw an old Indian man to the ground for walking while brown which partially paralyzed him and then charged him with resisting arrest. Now that's muthafuckin' Bama. Thumbsup

You guys need to section off the suburb of Madison quick. Fuckers employ racists to keep the peace.

Yes Huntsville is one of the geekiest cities in the US. The Marshall Space Flight Center is here. The Missile Defense Agency and Army aviation are headquartered here. Cummings Research Park is the second largest research park in the US and the fourth largest in the world. 16.2% percent of our workforce are professional engineers or scientists, and we have the largest per capita concentration of rocket scientists on the planet.

But don't make the mistake of thinking Huntsville isn't Alabama. We are still heavily segregated. The Huntsville City school system (which has some of the best schools in the state) Has been in trouble with the Fed for decades over racial balance. Crime rates are high. Politics here are heavily conservative in the worst kind of way. Religion, the area is 90% plus Christian, permeates ever facet of everyday life for most people here. Huntsville is still very much Alabama.

FYI though the Madison cop in the video was fired within days of the encounter in the video. He was recently charged with felony assault.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Hiyas ... must be rough living like that. Hope you manage it well.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Re: An Atheist in Alabama
Hi there! Sorry to hear about your Alabama problem. Big Grin I'm about 15 minutes from the state line, so I feel your pain.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
01-04-2015, 01:03 PM
It's funny how my perspective of life in Alabama has changed since I finally quit trying to force myself to believe.

I was always amused by my older sister's drive to get far away from her "home". She moved out at age 17, moved to another city at 18, out of state by 21... then later to NY. She is in Florida now, but I keep waiting on her to call to tell me she is moving to Europe any day now.

She was a practicing Wiccan for a while, now I have no idea what she is into. I don't ask and she doesn't say. I suspect most of her Wiccan talk was more for shock value than real belief.

ANYWAY, the point of that is, I now truly understand why she felt compelled to evacuate. It's too bad that I held on so long that my roots are now much too deep to readily relocate to an area, if there is one, that is more hospitable to non-believers.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
07-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Tennessee is one crazy ass religious hell hole for an atheist to live as well.

Welcome to the forums. I have just recently found my way here. I just have too much pent up frustration so I started looking for a online atheist forum.

I'm closeted to my 'community', however I'm also a husband and father of 3 kids. My wife and kids are devout Christians still, and I'm not permitted to discuss religion or atheism around her or the kids anymore. (Unless I want a divorce) However, she is free to send the kids off to as many bible camps as she pleases. That's fair right? Uggghhhh. I know. I know. My situation is pretty unhealthy to say the least.

However, when we were both Christians we had a damn good marriage for 17 years. Until I could not tolerated the disharmony of cognitive dissonance resonating in my head for one more second. I felt inexorably compelled, I just had to tell my immediate family. I just could not go on existing like that any longer, no matter the cost, unless they knew what I truly thought about Christianity. So I came out to them, and have not been to Church since. That was over 2 years ago.

We've drawn somewhat of a truce with religion, however, the terms definitely are more favorable to the Christians in my house.

Anywho, I could type on for hours until I pass out in a cathartic coma, but I'll quit for now. Not trying to hijack this thread, only to say I wholeheartedly I do relate to the struggles of being an atheist in a highly religious southern town community. I'm still struggling to find my way, I hope your journey is going better than mine.
07-04-2015, 08:51 PM
(07-04-2015 07:15 PM)Biolizard Wrote:  Tennessee is one crazy ass religious hell hole for an atheist to live as well.

Welcome to the forums. I have just recently found my way here. I just have too much pent up frustration so I started looking for a online atheist forum.

I'm closeted to my 'community', however I'm also a husband and father of 3 kids. My wife and kids are devout Christians still, and I'm not permitted to discuss religion or atheism around her or the kids anymore. (Unless I want a divorce) However, she is free to send the kids off to as many bible camps as she pleases. That's fair right? Uggghhhh. I know. I know. My situation is pretty unhealthy to say the least.

However, when we were both Christians we had a damn good marriage for 17 years. Until I could not tolerated the disharmony of cognitive dissonance resonating in my head for one more second. I felt inexorably compelled, I just had to tell my immediate family. I just could not go on existing like that any longer, no matter the cost, unless they knew what I truly thought about Christianity. So I came out to them, and have not been to Church since. That was over 2 years ago.

We've drawn somewhat of a truce with religion, however, the terms definitely are more favorable to the Christians in my house.

Anywho, I could type on for hours until I pass out in a cathartic coma, but I'll quit for now. Not trying to hijack this thread, only to say I wholeheartedly I do relate to the struggles of being an atheist in a highly religious southern town community. I'm still struggling to find my way, I hope your journey is going better than mine.

I have just tossed the proverbial shit towards the fan... frankly, I am not sure if it has hit or if it is still in transit. Time will tell. Stay in touch.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart