An Atheist in Alabama

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2015, 08:54 PM
RE: An Atheist in Alabama
Hey Alabama!

I lived in Tuscaloosa for five years while at University. Let me tell you how happy I am to be out. THE MOST HAPPY. There were some good little heathens at UA though, so I wasn't alone. Tongue

And hey man, if you want to be a scientist or something, you just do it! None of this "I'm not smart enough" business! Work hard at it and make it happen! You know,if that's what you want.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
07-04-2015, 09:14 PM
RE: An Atheist in Alabama
(07-04-2015 08:51 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 07:15 PM)Biolizard Wrote:  Tennessee is one crazy ass religious hell hole for an atheist to live as well.

Welcome to the forums. I have just recently found my way here. I just have too much pent up frustration so I started looking for a online atheist forum.

I'm closeted to my 'community', however I'm also a husband and father of 3 kids. My wife and kids are devout Christians still, and I'm not permitted to discuss religion or atheism around her or the kids anymore. (Unless I want a divorce) However, she is free to send the kids off to as many bible camps as she pleases. That's fair right? Uggghhhh. I know. I know. My situation is pretty unhealthy to say the least.

However, when we were both Christians we had a damn good marriage for 17 years. Until I could not tolerated the disharmony of cognitive dissonance resonating in my head for one more second. I felt inexorably compelled, I just had to tell my immediate family. I just could not go on existing like that any longer, no matter the cost, unless they knew what I truly thought about Christianity. So I came out to them, and have not been to Church since. That was over 2 years ago.

We've drawn somewhat of a truce with religion, however, the terms definitely are more favorable to the Christians in my house.

Anywho, I could type on for hours until I pass out in a cathartic coma, but I'll quit for now. Not trying to hijack this thread, only to say I wholeheartedly I do relate to the struggles of being an atheist in a highly religious southern town community. I'm still struggling to find my way, I hope your journey is going better than mine.

I have just tossed the proverbial shit towards the fan... frankly, I am not sure if it has hit or if it is still in transit. Time will tell. Stay in touch.

Will do. Keep us updated as you see fit. And know that there are others living in these insular religious southern towns, such as myself, who are able to empathize intimately with your plight. Coming out to my immediate family was extremely liberating for me on an intellectual level and therapeutic for my sanity. However, the ramifications and repercussion that have transpired since coming out, have lead to insidious and very real marital problems. Each situation is unique. I wish you the best in coping with this sensitive and potentially volatile issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply