An Atheist in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 07:26 AM
An Atheist in Church
I feel like a hypocrite.

My name is Greg. I am a pianist. I have been a music lover for my whole life, and a piano player for twelve years. I want nothing more than to make music my future career path.

I am also an atheist. And this presents a bit of a problem...

Anyone who enters the music world will notice that the best musical employers are the church. It's not even comparable. Easily 80% of my work is given by churches. I play Sunday services. I write hymns. I play Christian weddings.

And it makes me feel terrible.

I am an atheist, and yet I am supporting this institution that I vehemently believe should not exist any more. And yet, I don't know what to do. The church is currently the best source of income I can find! Agh!

So here is my question: Is what I am doing wrong? And if the church discovers I am an atheist and rejects me, what then? I honestly need help with this, because I feel my self-respect and career are on the line. I need any advice you can give.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SkepticPianist's post
26-05-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 07:38 AM by DLJ.)
RE: An Atheist in Church
My friend, you're not the first and you won't be the last.

In a few decades time, you'll be on one of those YouTube (or the future equivalent of) montages titled something like "I betcha didn't know..."

Thumbsup

Rumour has it... Verdi, Berlioz and Brahms.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2014, 07:33 AM
My sister is also a musician and a singer. She is also an atheist.

Music isn't her profession but is her passion. To be able to participate, she sings with a church chorale in the Chicago area.

I wouldn't stress it too much.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2014, 07:42 AM
(26-05-2014 07:26 AM)SkepticPianist Wrote:  And if the church discovers I am an atheist and rejects me, what then? I honestly need help with this, because I feel my self-respect and career are on the line. I need any advice you can give.

Do you think they'll care? Look, it's like writing advertising jingles. It puts the bread on the table. Might not be the most glorious employment but at least it's paid. Don't sweat it, IMO.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-05-2014, 07:50 AM
As an afterthought...

Y'know how sometimes parody is indistinguishable from the real thing?

Go for increasingly outrageous pro-god/jesus stuff.

Adopt a pen-name of Peter Oliver Edwards (or similar)... and sign everything: POE.

Big Grin

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2014, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 10:20 AM by Vosur.)
At the risk of sounding insensitive and needing to be kicked in the ass by a fellow staff member, I don't see why this is a problem. You're no more supporting the church than the people who provide it with food, electricity and water.

If you were an atheistic preacher, I could see why you would consider it an issue, but the profession of a musician isn't inherently religious.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
26-05-2014, 08:54 AM
(26-05-2014 07:26 AM)SkepticPianist Wrote:  I feel like a hypocrite.

My name is Greg. I am a pianist. I have been a music lover for my whole life, and a piano player for twelve years. I want nothing more than to make music my future career path.

Anyone who enters the music world will notice that the best musical employers are the church. It's not even comparable. Easily 80% of my work is given by churches. I play Sunday services. I write hymns. I play Christian weddings.

I am an atheist, and yet I am supporting this institution that I vehemently believe should not exist any more. And yet, I don't know what to do. The church is currently the best source of income I can find! Agh!

So here is my question: Is what I am doing wrong? And if the church discovers I am an atheist and rejects me, what then? I honestly need help with this, because I feel my self-respect and career are on the line. I need any advice you can give.

Not a issue problem unless you just can't stomach it, but if you can then you're a better person than I. I doubt I could do something like this.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
26-05-2014, 09:48 AM
(26-05-2014 08:54 AM)Elskidor Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 07:26 AM)SkepticPianist Wrote:  I feel like a hypocrite.

Not a issue problem unless you just can't stomach it, but if you can then you're a better person than I. I doubt I could do something like this.

I agree with the others, you are only providing a service to a client--just like the caterer provides food, the florist flowers, etc. I couldn't do it because I would face palm myself to death having to listen to the sermons, and hearing the 'preachy' stuff all the time---that would drive me bonkers. But it you can handle that-- I say charge them more Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
26-05-2014, 09:53 AM
If you don't take the job, they will only give it to somebody else. It's not as though they're going to quit just because you won't play for them. I have written stuff that makes me gag, but it gets me the money I need. Take their money, FPS, and don't worry about it. Remember they are supporting an atheist and giggle to yourself. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
26-05-2014, 09:57 AM
I kinda like that the church is supporting an atheist...even if they don't realize it.

That works for me somehow. Girl_nails

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post