An Atheist in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: An Atheist in Church
I grudgingly admit, the church did bring us some mighty fine music. Play on!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
26-05-2014, 11:55 AM
The church I attended had/has an amazing pipe organ, always had a wonderful choir, and therefore the music is still beautiful to me. In fact, I didn't really like it in the 70s when the church tried to be more hip and brought in guitars and stuff...just wasn't the same.

Another favorite has always been 'What Child is This?".

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2014, 12:04 PM
(26-05-2014 11:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The church I attended had/has an amazing pipe organ, always had a wonderful choir, and therefore the music is still beautiful to me.
I love pipe organs. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
26-05-2014, 12:07 PM
A pipe organ... a 30-piece choir... string section... musical perfection!

Too bad the choir has to dedicate their music to "God." I'd prefer to give glory to the brilliant composer, personally. And maybe have, y'know, clever poetry in the lyrics instead of a list of ways that God is great...

ATHEIST HYMNS! WE NEED ATHEIST HYMNS!!!
26-05-2014, 12:09 PM
You need to catch up on your Tim Minchin...though calling his stuff hymns may be a stretch...still worth a listen. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-05-2014, 12:11 PM
(26-05-2014 12:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You need to catch up on your Tim Minchin...though calling his stuff hymns may be a stretch...still worth a listen. Big Grin

I definitely will! Big Grin
26-05-2014, 12:26 PM
It seems that you play traditional church music, if so at least you dont have to play at a pop church with the sentimental "jesus is my girlfriend" songs while putting displays of emotional piety. Being an atheist while being in one of those churches would be that much harder.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
26-05-2014, 12:50 PM
(26-05-2014 12:26 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  It seems that you play traditional church music, if so at least you dont have to play at a pop church with the sentimental "jesus is my girlfriend" songs while putting displays of emotional piety. Being an atheist while being in one of those churches would be that much harder.

"Jesus is my girlfriend" XD I love it! That HAS to become a shirt!

Ugh, I had to spend eight months at a Mennonite university residence. All the Christian pop! I mean, I can see why people hate contemporary pop music, but Christian pop takes away everything that is catchy about pop and dumbs it down further! All the repetitions! All the same four chords! Agh!

Fortunately, they don't look at you too much when you're playing the piano, so I could pull off the occasional eye-roll directed at the lead singer doubled over in "praise" Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticPianist's post
26-05-2014, 12:52 PM
BTW, welcome...keep playing music and bringing home that check. You can come here to rant.

26-05-2014, 01:51 PM
(26-05-2014 11:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The church I attended had/has an amazing pipe organ, always had a wonderful choir, and therefore the music is still beautiful to me. In fact, I didn't really like it in the 70s when the church tried to be more hip and brought in guitars and stuff...just wasn't the same.

Another favorite has always been 'What Child is This?".

I prefer the original version. Same tune, better lyrics.

There is an entry in the Stationers' Register in 1580 licensing Richard Jones to print A new Northern Dittye of the Lady Green-Sleeves. The earliest lyrics that survive are in A Handful of Pleasant Delights (1584) (see link below to those lyrics). The tune first appears in 1652.
Legend has it that Henry VIII wrote it for Anne Boleyn during their courtship (circa 1530). This has never been substantiated and is probably not true due to the fact that the Italian style used in the tune did not arrive in England until after his death.

It has beens suggested that the "Greensleeves" refers to courtesans, or prostitutes. According to Wikipedia, "at the time, the word "green" had sexual connotations, most notably in the phrase "a green gown", a reference to the way that grass stains might be seen on a woman's dress if she had engaged in sexual intercourse out-of-doors."

Shortly after the Civil War William Chatterton Dix wrote the Christmas carol What Child is This to the tune.

A reading of the lyrics shows it is not a sweet, innocuous love song, but a plea from a 16th century gentleman to his bored mistress. There are countless versions of the lyrics, including fourteen Cavalier songs and John Gay wrote lyrics to the tune for The Beggar's Opera. And there are countless verses. This page leaves out several of them.

Alas, my love you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
And I have loved you so long
Delighting in your company

Chorus
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my Lady Greensleeves.

I have been ready at your hand
to grant whatever you would crave;
I have both wagered life and land
Your love and good will for to have

Chorus

I bought the kerchers to thy head
That were wrought fine and gallantly
I kept thee both at board and bed
Which cost my purse well favouredly.

Chorus

Greensleeves, now farewell! adieu!
God I pray to prosper thee;
For I am still thy lover true
Come once again and love me.

Chorus

http://www.contemplator.com/england/grenslevs.html

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post