An Atheist in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: An Atheist in Church
(28-05-2014 02:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Sure. But if he takes money from them, then he can give it to the needy if he feels the needs to balance the ethical ledger.

Anyway, it's upto him. I'm not judging whether he, as an athiest provides a service for the Christians.

On the other hand, I don't give churches my money. I don't want to fund them. But I am very happy to take their money.Tongue

I'm not getting what you're saying? I thought you were saying that by not wanting to work for the church he is effectively doing the same as those businesses that refuse service to gay people? I don't think it's the same thing at all, which was the intended thrust of my post... maybe I should thrust harder Consider

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-05-2014, 05:24 PM
An Atheist in Church
Churches are full of atheists! It's networking at its finest.
Don't sweat it, it's not like you're gonna burn in hell or anythingWink
[+] 1 user Likes hotnostril's post
29-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Greg, I too am an atheist that goes to church. Well I don't go of my own accord, but rather to keep the peace at home. I sit right at the back where I just surf the net on my phone and briefly pay enough attention to have a little conversation about what was spoken about. I can imagine what you must be going through. I vote giving it some time. Time to learn how to switch off the inner atheist that wants to face palm the silly things that get said in service.

I'm slowly learning that it's wiser to pick my fights carefully. So that's what I'd say to you. You don't have to play the atheist in church. You don't wanna shit where you eat.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
My parents drag me to church every sunday/wednesday, and I hate it too. I usually just host an inner commentary on what I would say if the preacher and I were in a debate. It is nice to hear some of the arguments they'll be using there beforehand, so you have time to evaluate and form an appropriate response, no?

What the heck is a signature? -RecursiveRecursion
[+] 2 users Like RecursiveRecursion's post
03-06-2014, 12:56 AM
(28-05-2014 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  .... which was the intended thrust of my post... maybe I should thrust harder Consider

REALLY? You really had to do this to my mind right now? WeepingLaugh out load

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
03-06-2014, 03:38 AM
(26-05-2014 07:26 AM)SkepticPianist Wrote:  I feel like a hypocrite.

My name is Greg. I am a pianist. I have been a music lover for my whole life, and a piano player for twelve years. I want nothing more than to make music my future career path.

I am also an atheist. And this presents a bit of a problem...

Anyone who enters the music world will notice that the best musical employers are the church. It's not even comparable. Easily 80% of my work is given by churches. I play Sunday services. I write hymns. I play Christian weddings.

And it makes me feel terrible.

I am an atheist, and yet I am supporting this institution that I vehemently believe should not exist any more. And yet, I don't know what to do. The church is currently the best source of income I can find! Agh!

So here is my question: Is what I am doing wrong? And if the church discovers I am an atheist and rejects me, what then? I honestly need help with this, because I feel my self-respect and career are on the line. I need any advice you can give.

Shocking

Yeah, you are a charlatan! All those poor people believing you are anointed of God, feeling the holy spirit moving in you.

Na, there are many who went up the entertainment ladder via church music first.

Hmm, and then again it's really kind of horrible when I think of all the stink we emit on this forum about believers being delusional. What does the mean to you?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
03-06-2014, 03:53 AM
(28-05-2014 02:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's one's personal choice who one works for and what one does. With the music, one might be concerned that by working for the church (an organization, not a person) one is advancing their cause (promoting woo) and therefore not feel comfortable doing it. It's not discrimination to not want to work for an organization because of ethical concerns. The fact of the matter is they might kick him out if they knew he was an atheist, so I think it's entirely natural to have reservations about working for them.

And carrying on with this line of thinking, as a software engineer you have to make the ethical choice about whether to work for a company in the defence industry, and if you do, consider the kind of products that they make. It's one thing developing a system that could have civilian applications and another developing a drone strike system.

You could be faced with the same ethical decisions with a church. The church needs music in order to function so they can manipulate the emotional state of the congregation and harvest them for money. If it's a small rural church just providing a service for the needs of the locals then there's probably no problem with it. If it's a large church peddling hate and prejudice with the financial means to influence politics then there can be real ethical concerns about helping them.
08-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I really like this in a "sticking it to the man" kinda way. What you're doing isnt wrong at all though. Do what you love and try not to think that your employers are misguided to the point of irrationality Smile

I delivered flowers to churches for weddings and funerals and other events (actually owned a key to a back door of my hometowns church lol) and
although different , I never felt any guilt whatsoever.
08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
I bet the members of those churches you play at would be surprised to hear an atheist pondering a moral/ethical dilemma with good intentions. Thumbsup
I don't see any reason you shouldn't keep it up. They want you to do it, they like your talent. No reason to change that.
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM

praise the lawd, get down mr piano man!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)