An Atheist in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: An Atheist in Church
(28-05-2014 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not getting what you're saying? I thought you were saying that by not wanting to work for the church he is effectively doing the same as those businesses that refuse service to gay people? I don't think it's the same thing at all, which was the intended thrust of my post... maybe I should thrust harder Consider
I am attempting to reason that we all exist within a society containing diverse groups of people. Our interactions with these people are for friendship, money, services, love, sex, etc.
But just because we provide a service to people it does not mean that we support their ideologies.
Does a baker care if their customer is a flat earther, or a rap lover, or anti-gay?
The baker wants to support themselves and/or their family, they make a living off selling baked goods. It seems to me to be going too far if the baker worries about whether they are selling bread to Christian whom hates gay people.

What if the baker makes Jesus crackers for the church service?
Seems it may be lucrative business. Morally they may disagree with the Catholics teachings of hate and control, but what does that have to do with provision of bread? If they don't provide then the Church will give the business to some other bread maker.

Is playing a piano, promoting the hate taught by religious organisation?
Are there songs of hate in the hymns?
Did the piano player write the hate words?
When signing up to be the piano player, did the church put a clause in there that the piano player must be a Christian and promote Christian teachings?

What if teachers took this moral high ground?
First schools were public domain. Lots of teaching jobs for anyone qualified appropriately. Then the Catholics started up private Catholic schools. They only hire non gay teachers. Now there are less jobs available for gay teachers. Are the non gay teachers to take up a moral high ground and refuse teaching at those schools, thus limiting the amount of jobs available for themselves? What if jobs are scarce and they have bills to pay?

There are Christians whom believe that gay sex is immoral and they thus don't want to rent out bed space in a Bed and Breakfast service to gay people because they feel that would be them supporting immoral behaviour.
How is this any different to you not wanting to play music for Christian service because you think Christian organisations promote "immoral" behaviour?

Really, I think moral issues are just make believe constraints a person places on themselves. It's up to you personally to decide how you want to address the concerns you see within society and whether you feel some moral obligation on yourself with regards to how you respond.
I think it makes a difference to put your services into context. Are you making bread for a living, making music for a living etc or are you promoting behaviours that are harmful to society?

It's up to you to decide. I am not your judge.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
09-06-2014, 04:50 AM
RE: An Atheist in Church
Do NOT do it.

Otherwise I will believe all those rumours I have heard about pianists. Wink

I am a pro musician in the 4th decade of my career. I have NEVER played in a church.

There are many gigs for keyboard players. Provided you are good enough.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply