An Atheist offers proof for the existence of God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM
RE: An Atheist offers proof for the existence of God!
A perfect god is one which does not exist.

1. It cannot be destroyed
2. It cannot be affected by anything
3. It cannot have lowly human desires, wants, needs
4. It cannot have human weaknesses
5. When we die, we all become this

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 08:53 AM
^
So then, since he said "most perfect", he must mean most able to die. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-03-2015, 09:16 AM
This idea is inaccurate there will not for sure always be a time with a being of this manner. The current seemingly true way of our universe is over time the stars and their heat will all die out and fizzle away any areas for life to grow. There will be no beings able to sustain themselves and therefore no more perfect being.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-03-2015, 09:18 AM
(10-03-2015 08:53 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ^
So then, since he said "most perfect", he must mean most able to die. Tongue

That would mean Jesus perhaps, but I'm afraid he'll come in second to this guy:

Darwin Awards -Macho man

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
10-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Smile RE: An Atheist offers proof for the existence of God!
Only imperfect things exist including you, me and believers in a perfect God. After reading the responses to my thread, I wonder if there is a high percentage of dyslexia among members of this forum or maybe English is their second language? No
A perfect God is a fiction and a potentially harmful one at that. Atheist arguments against an imaginary God are as unnecessary as anti-Easter Bunny argument against a rabbit who delivers colored eggs on the first Sunday after the full moon after the vernal equinox!
10-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Perhaps it was your abuse of language. The adjective "perfect" is an absolute and does not associate with superlatives, hence the term "most perfect" is as meaningless as "slightly dead" or "nearly unique".

Insults were hardly constructive but perhaps you aren't fluent in basic courtesy.

Arguments against an imaginary god are necessary in a world where people believe and act upon that fiction. This should be obvious from the previous sentence where you yourself describe it as "potentially harmful".

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
10-03-2015, 04:07 PM
(10-03-2015 11:47 AM)Transfinite Wrote:  Only imperfect things exist including you, me and believers in a perfect God. After reading the responses to my thread, I wonder if there is a high percentage of dyslexia among members of this forum or maybe English is their second language? No
A perfect God is a fiction and a potentially harmful one at that. Atheist arguments against an imaginary God are as unnecessary as anti-Easter Bunny argument against a rabbit who delivers colored eggs on the first Sunday after the full moon after the vernal equinox!

Perhaps so or perhaps not. It may also help if we look back and see if some of our claims are functionally true or not.

Your idea relies on there always being a being... And you're making some distinction as if this imperfect being that could be labeled god has any relevance to what the ideas of deities actually are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-03-2015, 04:54 PM
(10-03-2015 08:45 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  A perfect god is one which does not exist.

1. It cannot be destroyed
2. It cannot be affected by anything
3. It cannot have lowly human desires, wants, needs
4. It cannot have human weaknesses
5. When we die, we all become this

These little fuckers.

[Image: Waterbear_1.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
ALL HAIL WATERBEAR!!!!!!!! Although I would love to get some worship time in with Paltrow but the waterbear is probably FAR more likable albeit FAR less hot.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-03-2015, 04:32 AM
(10-03-2015 01:10 AM)Transfinite Wrote:  This proof is not referring to a perfect being but rather to the most perfect, i.e., least imperfect being available. Regardless of our definition of God, e.g., powerful, knowledgeable, benevolent, etc., there will always be at least one existing being who exceeds all of the available beings possessing these qualities. The winner of such a God contest might be a human, an alien or some kind of artificial device. The God winner might be a disappointment, but he/she/it is still entitled to the to the honor if he is number one by our criteria.

It is me, but I don't like to brag.

Yep, this is the key point when considering the ontological argument. The argument calls out the set of maximally great necessary beings and baselessly assumes that the set is nonempty. Are there any necessary beings at all? Is the maximally great being a blue whale? The argument is deeply fallacious.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post