An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2016, 01:36 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(30-12-2016 08:14 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 05:08 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

But, but.... I was nice....

Sadcryface

I was nice too Tongue

I was dismissive, which is pretty tame for me.

[Image: raw]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-12-2016, 02:02 PM
(30-12-2016 01:36 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I was dismissive, which is pretty tame for me.

I confess I was impressed by your degree of self-control, on this one! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Ok, so now that this has been moved out of the intro forum, I have a couple of questions.

How did you go from this:
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  So, as young as age 10, I remember really despising the teachings of the Bible. I was very rebellious and vocal in Sunday school, openly criticizing God and stories like Lot’s wife and Abraham’s son. I said numerous times that, if God were real, I would never worship Him. The stories just seemed so inhumane and backwards...

...to this:
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light. It was so pure, clean, and white. It was just glorious and I felt so much truth coming from the Light. Words fail to describe the beauty of what I saw and it was the most beautiful, profound experience of my life. I felt this amazing, amazing peace in my heart as well as forgiveness, love, purity, beauty, kindness. I knew God was this infinite Love and that He was the source of all love in ourselves and in the world.

I too recognize heinous actions of "God" in the bible and I can say quite certainly that, if I experienced such a light, there is no way I could believe it comes from the god of the bible. There is no way that god would bring me feelings of love, beauty, kindness, or peace. In fact, forget the light, God himself could stand before me and I would feel nothing but revulsion.

So how did you change your mind so easily? Consider

In your shoes, I would be asking myself where else those feelings could have come from because it certainly isn't that evil god from the bible.

My second question:
Why do you think it is that this god who could supposedly give you such a loving, glowing experience could also leave children suffering with cancer, muscular dystrophy, birth defects, starvation, and all kinds of other cruel afflictions? Children...! I don't know about you, but if I had it within my ability to cure all those things, they would already be gone from existence. And my love is supposedly so much less perfect than this god's.

Feelings can be very misleading.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 6 users Like Impulse's post
30-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Even if we assume that this testimony is not a Liar For Jesus™ trying to win atheist converts by lying to us...

I just love the degree of personal hubris it takes to think that the Creator of the Universe spent the time/effort to personally appear to them, rejecting the more obvious explanation of realistic-feeling hallucination (which happens to everyone, in some way) over the notion that God took time out of his busy schedule to come down and appear to you just to convince you in a particular way that almost nobody else gets to experience.

I'd be furious if God appeared to me like that.

"God, what are you doing appearing to me in my living room?!? Get the fuck out of here and go help all those starving children dying of totally-preventable diseases! For fuck's sake!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-12-2016, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 02:20 PM by Szuchow.)
(30-12-2016 02:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 01:36 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I was dismissive, which is pretty tame for me.

I confess I was impressed by your degree of self-control, on this one! Big Grin

It's (probably) just another theist who think that posing as atheist who has seen the light will make us (re)convert. So, nothing to be mad about. In fact despite the tone of my posts I feel only pity - pity cause person thinking that such shitty story could make someone believe god fairy is deeply deluded.

ETA: For me faith itself is built on arrogance - I talk to creator of universe and he grants (or not) my wishes, I'm so special that god himself watch what I'm doing, I'm so important that god shows to me in person, etc. I guess some people need ego boost and truth about unfeeling universe is too scary for them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
30-12-2016, 02:23 PM
You know, I keep thinking about this scenario, and it's honestly starting to make me angry. (LOOK OUT! ANGRY ATHEIST!!)

The notion that God wants to take the time to appear to one particular soul, that it might be saved from his wrath, so that one person can be especially empowered to witness for the religion...

It's the pinnacle of arrogance!

You're saying that your own soul (and empowerment to KNOW God is real during your lifetime) is worth God's time and effort more than tens of thousands of suffering and dying human beings, most of whom are little children.

Fuck you. Fuck your stupid, delusional arrogance that you would conceive of God in this way.

[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-12-2016, 02:32 PM
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You're saying that your own soul (and empowerment to KNOW God is real during your lifetime) is worth God's time and effort more than tens of thousands of suffering and dying human beings, most of whom are little children.

Fuck you. Fuck your stupid, delusional arrogance that you would conceive of God in this way.
Yeah, especially when curing all the suffering would be a far greater way to demonstrate love and it would be shown to the entire world, not just one person.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
30-12-2016, 02:33 PM
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You know, I keep thinking about this scenario, and it's honestly starting to make me angry. (LOOK OUT! ANGRY ATHEIST!!)

The notion that God wants to take the time to appear to one particular soul, that it might be saved from his wrath, so that one person can be especially empowered to witness for the religion...

You're saying that your own soul (and empowerment to KNOW God is real during your lifetime) is worth God's time and effort more than tens of thousands of suffering and dying human beings, most of whom are little children.

It's indeed pinnacle of arrogance but I would expect no less from believer. How person believing that god decided to kill himself (or his sock puppet) just so he could forgive that person couldn't be arrogant?

Christianity just ooze arrogance - god is listening to you prayers, you're most special animal, crown of creation endowed with soul and dominion over other animals and Earth. God Almighty is so interested in your affection and worship that he threatens you with torture if he wont receive it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
30-12-2016, 02:35 PM
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You know, I keep thinking about this scenario, and it's honestly starting to make me angry. (LOOK OUT! ANGRY ATHEIST!!)

She doesn't strike me as being deliberately arrogant Rocket, delusional yes arrogant no
If her scientific background is to be believed she must be horribly conflicted on some level and grasping at straws. I'm not sure how to take her testimony other than that its as you say a simple delusion or hallucination.
30-12-2016, 02:49 PM
(30-12-2016 02:35 PM)adey67 Wrote:  

She doesn't strike me as being deliberately arrogant Rocket, delusional yes arrogant no
If her scientific background is to be believed she must be horribly conflicted on some level and grasping at straws. I'm not sure how to take her testimony other than that its as you say a simple delusion or hallucination.

I would say that to even think that god talked or rather appeared somehow to you you must be pretty damn arrogant. If she is not simply trolling then I see no reason for which she couldn't be both deluded and arrogant.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post