An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2016, 02:54 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
Assuming it's not a BS-story...

I wouldn't say "deliberately arrogant", no.

But arrogant, nevertheless.

The entire idea is based on a premise that is by its nature arrogance at its pinnacle.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-12-2016, 02:57 PM
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Fuck you. Fuck your stupid, delusional arrogance that you would conceive of God in this way.

[Image: 15108135.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
30-12-2016, 03:14 PM
(30-12-2016 02:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Assuming it's not a BS-story...

I wouldn't say "deliberately arrogant", no.

But arrogant, nevertheless.

The entire idea is based on a premise that is by its nature arrogance at its pinnacle.

I find the username sanctimonious in the extreme.

This is a theist drive by.

I also think that other newbie, Charlie, is a theist in disguise. Wouldn't trust that poster for a second.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-12-2016, 03:22 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Hello, everyone. My name is Kathryn and I was an atheist for, at least, 15 years. Very recently, I became a Christian.

With that statement right there, I put you in the "proselytizing liar for Jesus" basket.

Then you give a personal anecdote. Facepalm

Weaksauce, one of the most unimpressive things a believer can present.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-12-2016, 03:32 PM
(30-12-2016 02:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Even if we assume that this testimony is not a Liar For Jesus™ trying to win atheist converts by lying to us...

I just love the degree of personal hubris it takes to think that the Creator of the Universe spent the time/effort to personally appear to them, rejecting the more obvious explanation of realistic-feeling hallucination (which happens to everyone, in some way) over the notion that God took time out of his busy schedule to come down and appear to you just to convince you in a particular way that almost nobody else gets to experience.

I'd be furious if God appeared to me like that.

"God, what are you doing appearing to me in my living room?!? Get the fuck out of here and go help all those starving children dying of totally-preventable diseases! For fuck's sake!"

Absol-fucking-lutely!

Who is this pretentious deity doing private parlor tricks while so much suffering is going on in the world?

An alleged quote from a prisoner written on the wall from the Mauthausen concentration camp:

"If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness."

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-12-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 03:37 PM by SitaSky.)
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You know, I keep thinking about this scenario, and it's honestly starting to make me angry. (LOOK OUT! ANGRY ATHEIST!!)

The notion that God wants to take the time to appear to one particular soul, that it might be saved from his wrath, so that one person can be especially empowered to witness for the religion...

It's the pinnacle of arrogance!

You're saying that your own soul (and empowerment to KNOW God is real during your lifetime) is worth God's time and effort more than tens of thousands of suffering and dying human beings, most of whom are little children.

Fuck you. Fuck your stupid, delusional arrogance that you would conceive of God in this way.

Exactly! What ever happened to faith being rewarded? Don't you have to accept God first just blindly without any evidence and then he shows himself but in little ways here and there? I mean it's rare when it's a full blown vision experience. Also they were such an angry hateful atheist before, now they know the true love of God and it's so great you guys!

If God couldn't find a good way to convince you he was real before by studying the Bible and investigating the religion, why did he resort to a vision experience? He knows you were a very logical and analytical person who loved to study so why not get to your heart that way? Can't be done, because it's just not logical so why not go the old divine vision route!

Would you be ok with someone you have good reasons to hate tricking your mind and "heart" to love them by influencing your senses to such a degree that it destroys your logic and reasoning? Giving you no choice? Overwhelming your senses with pure love light. Now your brain says this person is perfect, so good, so amazing, is that your own thoughts saying that or your new altered brain saying that?

It would be one thing to truly "find" God and to have come to that conclusion over years of study and witnessing many miracles and supernatural events but no, all it took was one profound vision, that God just granted for no real reason, out of nowhere...uhhh yeah pretty sure he just mind jacked you to appease his ego and you didn't find him, he just showed up uninvited, how rude.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
30-12-2016, 04:23 PM
(30-12-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 02:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Fuck you. Fuck your stupid, delusional arrogance that you would conceive of God in this way.

[Image: 15108135.jpg]

I don't hate them. But they do make me angry.

Thinking it's okay to lie to atheists. Thinking that Pious Fraud serves gods or mankind.

All these ridiculous lengths to which they go to promote their religion... I pity them.

But I also fear for a world that is full of them, and the things such delusional people can do to the rest of us, when they gain enough converts by their dishonest mean to act en masse.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
30-12-2016, 04:33 PM
(30-12-2016 02:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Even if we assume that this testimony is not a Liar For Jesus™ trying to win atheist converts by lying to us...

I just love the degree of personal hubris it takes to think that the Creator of the Universe spent the time/effort to personally appear to them, rejecting the more obvious explanation of realistic-feeling hallucination (which happens to everyone, in some way) over the notion that God took time out of his busy schedule to come down and appear to you just to convince you in a particular way that almost nobody else gets to experience.

I'd be furious if God appeared to me like that.

"God, what are you doing appearing to me in my living room?!? Get the fuck out of here and go help all those starving children dying of totally-preventable diseases! For fuck's sake!"

It's pretty strange the signature say to "pray and He will let us into the secret club". REALLY, (?) that's not how it works for her. She had to have her vision to get in, not just pray. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-12-2016, 04:56 PM
(30-12-2016 10:09 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Wow. Personal experience is our first level of knowing anything. The common witness of others is the conformation that personal experience is real.

No one can confirm an entirely internal experience. The only reality is that a person had an internal experience, nothing more.

Quote:The expert witness of others is our next level of knowing - trusting the experts. Then there is our own ability to be rational - use reason - logical deduction.

You missed actual investigation and confirmation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I've noticed that lately we've had slightly more theists stumbling in to preach at us. I've suspected for a while that someone is putting them up to it, perhaps challenging them to come here to witness to us.

O Universe, if I have even the teeniest, tiniest bit of Mad Goddess Skillz to call upon, I would be pleased indeed if reality gave the whole sorry lot of 'em a right thumping and knocked the John 3:16 right out of 'em.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post