An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 10:02 AM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
Peaceful Heart,

If you are still reading, you probably figured out long ago that this was not the site for sharing your conversion experience. Now, the opposite conversion experience would have been applauded.

You should have shared this at a Christian site instead, where you would have found many others who had similar stories.

My wife, who is a practicing Catholic, is the most generous, kind and giving person I know. And I would not have been making casseroles for the poor for the last 12 years if I had not been married to her. We make no attempt to convert the other, and that might be the key. It was the same with my Precambrian grandfather and Christian grandmother.

I might be the only person at this site who is married to a wonderful person who practices a religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2016, 10:11 AM
(31-12-2016 10:02 AM)Walter Wrote:  Peaceful Heart,

I might be the only person at this site who is married to a wonderful person who practices a religion.

You're not.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-12-2016, 10:23 AM
(31-12-2016 07:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 07:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That's it right there julep, I doubt peaceful heart will be back a bit cowardly Imo, if you shit on the carpet you should at least have the decency to face up to the consequences.

It may be cowardly but it is also sensible - she saw that no one really bought her silly story so she won't bother with further preaching. Also it's not like we lost something of value - either she was naive, foolish and arrogant former atheist or (more likely I think) just another theist with "brilliant" idea of naming herself as heathen who saw god.
The lying is par for the course, a reasonable assumption. I f I cared , which I don't, a brief search would yield the same story verbatim, with a different author.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
31-12-2016, 10:32 AM
. Now, the opposite conversion experience would have been applauded.

The clues in the title thinking atheist, while we do have a number of theist members the site is predominantly atheist and so it stands to reason that's going to happen. Rolleyes
31-12-2016, 10:54 AM
I’m not saying that this is the case with Peaceful Heart, and I kind of hope that it isn’t because I was looking forward to discussing a few biblical topics with her, but I can’t help but notice that her story follows a reliable template that the Christians use so often to curry favor and pander to a particular community. It starts with an appeal to your sensitivities; “I identify with you in every way because I am one of you. But I’m so much better than you now!” Then it goes on, “You should look to me as a leader because I have new information that you’ve never considered.” Finally the solution, “look at all the love and happiness that I now have as a Christian. You want this love and happiness too, and you can have it if you just let go of everything you love and cherish and drink this nice glass of delicious Kool-Aid.”

It’s insidious because I believe that the proselytizer has only retroactively classified themselves as a member of your group. Identifying themselves as an elite member is critical to establishing credibility. In my community’s case, we’re highly organized so I can ask the person some basic questions about the Orthodox Judaism they’re claiming to be from. In every case across the board, they fail my simple litmus test by being unable to answer very basic questions about orthodoxy. Maybe they have some loose connections to Judaism like they had a grandmother who kept kosher on Passover or something like that, but they themselves were never a part of the orthodox community and their fabricated affiliation comes down like a house of cards with a little prodding. So many of these proselytizers are nothing but shysters and when they’re called on it, they run away. (From another thread, this guy Isaac0517 had no connection to the Hebrew community at all.)

When you boil it down, the proselytizers out there selling us a product and if successful, they will collect special achievement badges from Jesus. The rules of engagement dictate that they must make the sale at all cost, and lying or misrepresenting themselves is a perfectly legal move because the ends justify the means.
[+] 18 users Like Aliza's post
31-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Great post Aliza, happy new year to you x
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
31-12-2016, 11:03 AM
(30-12-2016 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 10:09 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Wow. Personal experience is our first level of knowing anything. The common witness of others is the conformation that personal experience is real.

No one can confirm an entirely internal experience. The only reality is that a person had an internal experience, nothing more.
And so what if we could? How would we know that said entity was the God?
Quote:
Quote:The expert witness of others is our next level of knowing - trusting the experts. Then there is our own ability to be rational - use reason - logical deduction.

You missed actual investigation and confirmation.
Where?
31-12-2016, 11:18 AM
(31-12-2016 10:54 AM)Aliza Wrote:  When you boil it down, the proselytizers out there selling us a product and if successful, they will collect special achievement badges from Jesus.

I think that's true of the drive-by shitters but not all of the ones who stay. I think the PoopyHeadedBoulder and the Burgermeister are genuinely struggling with their faith and came here hoping to reinforce their bizarre beliefs by confronting a bunch of atheists on the matter. In hindsight, it may not have been the best of plans.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2016, 11:50 AM
(29-12-2016 07:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As a Christian, . . .
<snip>
. . .
Try to approach your experience as a skeptic... it's only then that you have truthful discernment.

You are a professed theist, are you not? Why? [I am coming from the premise there is no God. Only the uncaused existence, which needs no God.]
31-12-2016, 11:58 AM
(31-12-2016 11:50 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 07:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As a Christian, . . .
<snip>
. . .
Try to approach your experience as a skeptic... it's only then that you have truthful discernment.

You are a professed theist, are you not? Why? [I am coming from the premise there is no God. Only the uncaused existence, which needs no God.]

He's a Calvinist. Not his fault what with predestination and all.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post