An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2017, 04:46 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(01-01-2017 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 10:51 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Why are you a theist?

Because I have unrational faith in God.

This is why you have respect of many forum members here. Including my respect. You acknowledge this and I love that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Big Grin

"Thinking begins only when we have come to know that reason, glorified for centuries, is the stiff-necked adversary of thought." - Heidigagger

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-01-2017, 04:50 PM
(01-01-2017 04:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I have unrational faith in God.

This is why you have respect of many forum members here. Including my respect. You acknowledge this and I love that.

Amen to thatBig Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
02-01-2017, 10:50 AM

So are you saying you have no reason to believe in a god? Is that what you are saying?
02-01-2017, 11:54 AM
(02-01-2017 10:50 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I have unrational faith in God.
So are you saying you have no reason to believe in a god? Is that what you are saying?

You seem like a decent enough fellow, but sometimes your posts strike me as being very antagonistic. Confused
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
02-01-2017, 01:00 PM

I'm not really speaking for KC, but that's likely exactly what he means. There's nothing wrong with that.

There are many people who do just believe they've got no reason to believe, there's no excuse for their belief but they do just believe.

I respect that a lot more than the ones who come here with a long drawn out story about how they came to believe that the christian god (or whatever) is one true god™.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-01-2017, 05:51 PM

What Mom said.

I believe because of faith that was given to me by God (as it states in the Bible). If that wasn't given to be, I would not believe as faith is not logical or rational.

Also, what exactly are you trying to "pull" out of me?

That my belief has no basis in logic? Okay.
That I have no empirical proof of God? Okay.

These things are the basis of faith, and I've never denied this. Don't see what the big deal is.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
02-01-2017, 07:36 PM
(02-01-2017 05:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 10:50 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  So are you saying you have no reason to believe in a god? Is that what you are saying?

What Mom said.

I believe because of faith that was given to me by God (as it states in the Bible). If that wasn't given to be, I would not believe as faith is not logical or rational.

Also, what exactly are you trying to "pull" out of me?

That my belief has no basis in logic? Okay.
That I have no empirical proof of God? Okay.

These things are the basis of faith, and I've never denied this. Don't see what the big deal is.

He wants to make us feel stupid and small for failing to win his approval (as if we want his approval.)
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-01-2017, 01:16 AM
(02-01-2017 11:54 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 10:50 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  So are you saying you have no reason to believe in a god? Is that what you are saying?

You seem like a decent enough fellow, but sometimes your posts strike me as being very antagonistic. Confused

I think that is amazement not outright hostility. I too don't get* how people can believe in something called god but I don't really care as long as they don't bother me.

*Indoctrination is a thing, but still...

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-01-2017, 01:20 AM
Well, just as the theists too often do to us (present company excepted of course), there are quite a few atheists who prefer to think that the Lowest Common Denominator represents the intelligent members of the whole, or even the standard members of the disliked/opposing group.

I have yet to meet an intelligent theist who says anything other than that: "My faith is not rational. That's why it's called faith. If I had proof, I wouldn't need faith. That's the whole point of faith."

Even the Christian scriptures explicitly say so. That's what "Paul" (or whoever actually wrote it) is talking about when he describes what faith is, in Hebrews 11.

Where there is emperical evidence, we use logic and reason. For everything else, there's MasterFaith®. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post