An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 04:04 AM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(02-01-2017 07:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 05:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What Mom said.

I believe because of faith that was given to me by God (as it states in the Bible). If that wasn't given to be, I would not believe as faith is not logical or rational.

Also, what exactly are you trying to "pull" out of me?

That my belief has no basis in logic? Okay.
That I have no empirical proof of God? Okay.

These things are the basis of faith, and I've never denied this. Don't see what the big deal is.

He wants to make us feel stupid and small for failing to win his approval (as if we want his approval.)

Peter strikes me as probably an ok person but he does Imo need to work on the tone of his posting if he's going to get the most out of being here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 08:27 AM by Peter Slevon.)
To all here.
Everyone has some kind of reason for some kind of faith. For a modern example: Jupiter has 67 known moons. The evidence is not common knowlege. But for the majority of us it is a matter of faith in reporting sources.
Often our well intended faith is based on popular myth. That does not mean one is stupid.

I believe in the uncaused existence which has no God. I also believe in absolute truths. I believe in reason. In those beliefs, I believe how we know anything comes before what we know.

So my my questions and challenges which they might pose are not intended to belittle anyone. But to cause one to think. I for one do not know all the answers.
03-01-2017, 08:35 AM
(02-01-2017 05:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 10:50 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  So are you saying you have no reason to believe in a god? Is that what you are saying?

What Mom said.

I believe because of faith that was given to me by God (as it states in the Bible). If that wasn't given to be, I would not believe as faith is not logical or rational.

These things are the basis of faith, and I've never denied this. Don't see what the big deal is.
Faith is a matter of beleived truths. If one believes in anything which is not true, that cannot make what is not true to be true.
Otherwise faith is a fallacy.
03-01-2017, 08:42 AM
If there is God. I dare say God is a matter of an identity. No valid identity for God then no God can be known.
03-01-2017, 10:08 AM
(03-01-2017 08:35 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 05:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What Mom said.

Faith is a matter of beleived truths. If one believes in anything which is not true, that cannot make what is not true to be true.

No. It's called relative truth. It's true to that person because of ________. Plus, what I said about faith being irrational.

PS - stop speaking in pseudo-babble. We understand you, but it makes you sound like a pretentious twat.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
03-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-01-2017, 10:24 AM
(01-01-2017 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 10:51 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Why are you a theist?

Because I have unrational faith in God.

I find this attitude to be just obstinate. I more sympathetic to a creationist that doesn't realize he is irrational. But that's just me.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
03-01-2017, 10:41 AM
(03-01-2017 10:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 08:35 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Faith is a matter of beleived truths. If one believes in anything which is not true, that cannot make what is not true to be true.

No. It's called relative truth. It's true to that person because of ________. Plus, what I said about faith being irrational.

PS - stop speaking in pseudo-babble. We understand you, but it makes you sound like a pretentious twat.

I think that's just his posting style, kind of what I meant by tone of posting, mind you I think it went completely over his head, he's kinda preaching to the converted anyway, that's what I don't get. Big Grin
03-01-2017, 10:44 AM
(03-01-2017 10:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I have unrational faith in God.

I find this attitude to be just obstinate. I more sympathetic to a creationist that doesn't realize he is irrational. But that's just me.
I consider it insightful if KC was obstinate he would deny his belief was irrational.
03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
(03-01-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 10:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I find this attitude to be just obstinate. I more sympathetic to a creationist that doesn't realize he is irrational. But that's just me.
I consider it insightful if KC was obstinate he would deny his believe was irrational.

I understand your perspective. But there is also a perspective in which knowing you are irrational and you persist is almost arrogant.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post