An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(03-01-2017 11:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:27 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Please explain what you mean? Irrational is rational?

By rational I mean he has good reason. Isn't that what rational means?

Comes down to, define "good.."

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
(03-01-2017 01:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  By rational I mean he has good reason. Isn't that what rational means?

Comes down to, define "good.."

In his case, live or die.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-01-2017, 01:40 PM
(03-01-2017 01:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 01:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Comes down to, define "good.."

In his case, live or die.

[Image: 5fd95f2c65389f2a7ff1d7b9ad6007fa.jpg]

(That shit never gets old. Tongue )

[+] 10 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
(03-01-2017 11:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:20 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Please identify what you are calling pseudo-babble.

It is my view irrational faith is to believe what is not true.
It is my view all relative truth is contigent on there being absolute true. If what is called relative truth is in contradiction then something is not true.

KingsChosen has THE Biblical view of faith.
And this Biblical view of faith would be what?
Quote:Everyone thinks they believe what is "absolutely" true. There are billions of "absolute truths", (according to believers).
Two issues. Of course what is believed is held to be true. Merely citing the Bible as the source is too general. But billions? There are individual reasons.
Quote:Biblical faith is a gift of the Spirit, (see St. Paul).
Reference please?
Quote:It is not based on reason.
Oh, the Bible is not a reason.
Quote:Every human brain processes (by LEARNRD processes) what they "come to believe" to be as close to the truth as they can come.
Ok. But there are reasons. Some good and many bad ones. So I ask.
Quote:You have no (non-circular) way of defining "absolute truth".
So are you saying, to say "absolute truth" does not change, is circular? Truth claims need to be questioned, unless one already agrees with said claim.
03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
(03-01-2017 02:31 PM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  So are you saying, to say "absolute truth" does not change, is circular? Truth claims need to be questioned, unless one already agrees with said claim.

KC is an Elect, I am a prophet; we are birds of a feather; if I may, please allow me to jump in here:

No.

The Absolute is that which you evaluate all against. For me, it is my Gwynnies; for KC, god.

For us, it is not "to question god;" but rather to question ourselves. And, obviously, we still do. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-01-2017, 04:46 PM
(03-01-2017 08:14 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  To all here.
Everyone has some kind of reason for some kind of faith. For a modern example: Jupiter has 67 known moons. The evidence is not common knowlege. But for the majority of us it is a matter of faith in reporting sources.

Faith is not required - one can inspect the actual evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-01-2017, 04:47 PM
(03-01-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 10:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I find this attitude to be just obstinate. I more sympathetic to a creationist that doesn't realize he is irrational. But that's just me.
I consider it insightful if KC was obstinate he would deny his belief was irrational.

He obstinately clings to faith. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Peter, you see to be having some difficulty with this whole faith/truth/reason/logic business. A few thoughts:

(1) On this forum you will encounter a few theists. We like them because they are cool people with interesting minds who don't preach at us. We have our differences to be sure, but we have much more in common. It's strangely like real life that way.

(2) As I'm sure you know, nobody likes being preached at. That's sort of how you're coming across. That may be unintentional but you should try and check that at the door regardless.

(3) The truth of anything as complex as a worldview is rarely as simple as a matter of reason and logic. At least if you have a worldview more elaborate than "Yay! Cookies!" Take this "simple" example:

Would you describe this person as "beautiful"?

[Image: BN-LN957_STARWA_12S_20151203125155.jpg]

Some would say yes. Others would say no. Some particularly foolish types might go with a 1-10 ranking scale, as if you could meaningfully render a person down to a single digit. We could conduct a thorough examination of her entire life, peeling away the Hollywood veneer from the actual person and digging into who and what she "really" was. At the end of the day it's all pointless though because the "truth" that you arrive at is going to be based on a whole host of your own personal predispositions, opinions and prejudices that have little or nothing to do with reason.

That doesn't make it any less true to you, it just means that your truth is personal and shouldn't be imposed on others. Can you provide an "absolute truth" for why this person is or is not beautiful that is clearly separated from your pubescent predelictions for bikini-clad slave girls? If you can't even master this "simple" truth about one individual then why would you expect the same from theists about a personal philosophy and theology that is complex and mature enough to earn the grudging respect of a forum full of atheists?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-01-2017, 04:34 AM
Extremely well put Paleophyte.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
04-01-2017, 07:24 AM
(03-01-2017 02:31 PM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  But billions? There are individual reasons.

I read your post with slight interest. Then this struck me.

Individuals only have 1 thought?

I don't think so.

Bucky. 1.

Peter. 0.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.