Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-12-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Of course, I’m open to any questions you have.

OK.

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I believe there is an afterlife.

Why in God's name would you believe that? Because you had some sorta OBE? We call that Tuesday night in my neck of the woods. Brain dicking with you is certainly no reason to believe it can continue to do so lacking oxygen.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-12-2016, 02:14 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light. It was so pure, clean, and white. It was just glorious and I felt so much truth coming from the Light.

I don't mean to be rude, friend, but I'd be willing to bet that many of your fellow theists, who worship the exact same deity that happened to be the one to shine it's light on you, fall prey to eye-roll-syndrome when they hear claims like that. Undecided
Just a heads up.

Welcome, tho. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
29-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you were able to differentiate between contact from a god and a hallucination, how you determined which god it was, and, most importantly, why anybody else should believe it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
Also, OP, have you had a chance to get your vision (as in eyes) checked? Seeing white flashes of light can be a symptom of retinal detachment (which can lead to blindness if left untreated).
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
Welcome to TTA. I won't argue with you here since this is the introductions forum. But I just wanted to say that your experience is not uncommon (in fact, another poster came here with a very similar story not very long ago) and there are explanations having nothing to do with any god.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-12-2016, 02:22 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light. It was so pure, clean, and white. It was just glorious and I felt so much truth coming from the Light. Words fail to describe the beauty of what I saw and it was the most beautiful, profound experience of my life. I felt this amazing, amazing peace in my heart as well as forgiveness, love, purity, beauty, kindness. I knew God was this infinite Love and that He was the source of all love in ourselves and in the world. I could see how He stretched on for all eternity and was so much greater than the universe and that He created the universe. Immediately, part of the Bible verse Revelation 1:8 came to mind: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I still think I’m a critical thinker.
How have you applied critical thinking to your first quote above?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
29-12-2016, 02:24 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Of course, I’m open to any questions you have.

Are you here to spread the gospel and win souls for jesus?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
29-12-2016, 02:25 PM
(29-12-2016 02:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Indeed. I'm hoping she's here to clear up some of her obvious misconceptions about atheists.

I'm a little leery of people who claim to be former atheists and then make a statement about atheists/atheism that is diametrically opposed to every experience I've ever had with atheists throughout my adult life.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-12-2016, 02:27 PM
(29-12-2016 02:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

#sigh