An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 07:34 AM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(03-01-2017 09:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  If you can't even master this "simple" truth about one individual then why would you expect the same from theists about a personal philosophy and theology that is complex and mature enough to earn the grudging respect of a forum full of atheists?
While I can only speak for myself, I think it's fair to say that I'm not the only atheist on here who strongly disagrees with the notion that we respect theists like KC because their personal philosophies and theologies are somehow "complex and mature."

How can you even say that with a straight face?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
04-01-2017, 07:39 AM
(04-01-2017 07:34 AM)Vosur Wrote:  While I can only speak for myself.

Mate, you're a smart cookie. For me, the above was enough. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-01-2017, 07:50 AM
I just thought they were well spoken, knowledgeable & eloquent nutjobs Smile

And the question isn't whether Carrie Fisher is beautiful or not. The question is do you see the orange unicorn in the picture behind her ?

Those who see the unicorn are theists and no matter their reasons or complexity of their belief, it's still not rational to believe the unicorn is in the picture.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Princess Leia was a unicorn???

My childhood now seems weird.... Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
04-01-2017, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2017 08:09 AM by Aliza.)
(04-01-2017 07:34 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 09:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  If you can't even master this "simple" truth about one individual then why would you expect the same from theists about a personal philosophy and theology that is complex and mature enough to earn the grudging respect of a forum full of atheists?
While I can only speak for myself, I think it's fair to say that I'm not the only atheist on here who strongly disagrees with the notion that we respect theists like KC because their personal philosophies and theologies are somehow "complex and mature."

How can you even say that with a straight face?

I took it to mean that KC has his views and he's comfortable and confident enough in his beliefs that he doesn't need to aggressively defend himself or belittle those who think differently.

From what I can tell, KC is a productive member of society, works to improve himself, takes care of his family, and just all around seems like a nice guy. That's certainly worthy of respect.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
04-01-2017, 08:07 AM
(04-01-2017 08:04 AM)Aliza Wrote:  .

From what I can tell, KC is a productive member of society, works to improve himself, takes care of his family, and just all around seems like a nice guy. That's certainly worthy of respect.

"Did you get the cheque?"

Banjo.
04-01-2017, 08:10 AM
(04-01-2017 08:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 08:04 AM)Aliza Wrote:  .

"Did you get the cheque?"

*snickers*
04-01-2017, 08:11 AM
How many bars???

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-01-2017, 08:27 AM
(03-01-2017 09:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Peter, you see to be having some difficulty with this whole faith/truth/reason/logic business.
I am having no difficulty with what does not exist. I believe in absolute truths. Now what difficulty in logic do you suppose?
Quote: A few thoughts:

(1) On this forum you will encounter a few theists. We like them because they are cool people with interesting minds who don't preach at us. We have our differences to be sure, but we have much more in common. It's strangely like real life that way.
I think that the beliefs of theists and atheists alike should be able to explain and defend them in a reasonable way.
Quote:(2) As I'm sure you know, nobody likes being preached at. That's sort of how you're coming across. That may be unintentional but you should try and check that at the door regardless.
Ok. Explain what you mean. [Without being preachy if you will. And thanks in advance.]
Quote:(3) The truth of anything as complex as a worldview is rarely as simple as a matter of reason and logic. At least if you have a worldview more elaborate than "Yay! Cookies!" Take this "simple" example:

Would you describe this person as "beautiful"?

[Image: BN-LN957_STARWA_12S_20151203125155.jpg]

Some would say yes. Others would say no. Some particularly foolish types might go with a 1-10 ranking scale, as if you could meaningfully render a person down to a single digit. We could conduct a thorough examination of her entire life, peeling away the Hollywood veneer from the actual person and digging into who and what she "really" was. At the end of the day it's all pointless though because the "truth" that you arrive at is going to be based on a whole host of your own personal predispositions, opinions and prejudices that have little or nothing to do with reason.

That doesn't make it any less true to you, it just means that your truth is personal and shouldn't be imposed on others. Can you provide an "absolute truth" for why this person is or is not beautiful that is clearly separated from your pubescent predelictions for bikini-clad slave girls? If you can't even master this "simple" truth about one individual then why would you expect the same from theists about a personal philosophy and theology that is complex and mature enough to earn the grudging respect of a forum full of atheists?
In nature beauty as we perceive it is governed by two things, as I understand it. Our own genetics and the natural number called the "golden ratio." So there are some absolutes involved.
04-01-2017, 08:34 AM
(03-01-2017 09:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Peter, you see to be having some difficulty with this whole faith/truth/reason/logic business. A few thoughts:

(1) On this forum you will encounter a few theists. We like them because they are cool people with interesting minds who don't preach at us. We have our differences to be sure, but we have much more in common. It's strangely like real life that way.

(2) As I'm sure you know, nobody likes being preached at. That's sort of how you're coming across. That may be unintentional but you should try and check that at the door regardless.

(3) The truth of anything as complex as a worldview is rarely as simple as a matter of reason and logic. At least if you have a worldview more elaborate than "Yay! Cookies!" Take this "simple" example:

Would you describe this person as "beautiful"?

[Image: BN-LN957_STARWA_12S_20151203125155.jpg]

Some would say yes. Others would say no. Some particularly foolish types might go with a 1-10 ranking scale, as if you could meaningfully render a person down to a single digit. We could conduct a thorough examination of her entire life, peeling away the Hollywood veneer from the actual person and digging into who and what she "really" was. At the end of the day it's all pointless though because the "truth" that you arrive at is going to be based on a whole host of your own personal predispositions, opinions and prejudices that have little or nothing to do with reason.

That doesn't make it any less true to you, it just means that your truth is personal and shouldn't be imposed on others. Can you provide an "absolute truth" for why this person is or is not beautiful that is clearly separated from your pubescent predelictions for bikini-clad slave girls? If you can't even master this "simple" truth about one individual then why would you expect the same from theists about a personal philosophy and theology that is complex and mature enough to earn the grudging respect of a forum full of atheists?

I need a clue... who is she?

Blush