An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Also, OP, have you had a chance to get your vision (as in eyes) checked? Seeing white flashes of light can be a symptom of retinal detachment (which can lead to blindness if left untreated).

They say acid flashbacks can do the same thing......

I did a lot of acid back in the day - and I've never had a flashback.....

I feel cheated.....

Weeping

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-12-2016, 02:28 PM
(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Looking forward to hearing how you were able to differentiate between contact from a god and a hallucination, how you determined which god it was, and, most importantly, why anybody else should believe it.

Everyone has a smartphone these days. I'm sure she pressed record.
29-12-2016, 02:28 PM
(29-12-2016 02:25 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Are you here to spread the gospel and win souls for jesus?

I'm a little leery of people who claim to be former atheists and then make a statement about atheists/atheism that is diametrically opposed to every experience I've ever had with atheists throughout my adult life.

It's just been done so many times before.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
29-12-2016, 02:29 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light.

That's interesting. A "Christian" who doesn't believe the Bible.
John 1:18 "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

You had an experience, and you named it "god".
Humans have all sorts of strange experiences, and then interpret them in all sorts of ways. I wonder if rats who have NDE's are seeing rat-Jebus ?
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots...xperiences

So you actually think that on the basis of one anecdotal story, anyone is going to think about the subject of atheism or Christianity any differently ? I seriously doubt it. Good luck with that.

The problems with Christianity are FAR more profound than any one "extatic" experience could possible undo. But stick around. We know more about Christianity than most Christians, (and what's ALL wrong with it).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-12-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm no doctor but it sounds like you had an episode of some sort. Possibly related to your disorder.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
29-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Hi. Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I wouldn't interpret the experience you had in the same way as you do. I've had peak experiences myself (so have many people); they were transcendent and wonderful, but I didn't interpret them as divine. I think your circumstances--having to give up long-held dreams, coming to terms with your ASD diagnosis, looking for a new direction and support and hope--may have influenced your interpretation. I'm glad you're feeling happy and settled now. My college-age son has ASD also (I'm probably Aspie), and I know that it's a huge challenge.

You haven't referenced anything that indicates that philosophical and moral objections you had to the god of your childhood don't still apply--if I read you rightly, the god who ordered Abraham to prepare to murder his son, who ordered the Israelites to slaughter the wives and children of their enemies, it's this god that love-bombed you. The ethical stuff may not bother you now, but it still bothers me, so I'm not interested in coming to your god. If he's a worthy god, he won't punish me for not seeing things his way, and if he's a shitty god, ah, well, whatever.

I hope you're not here to proselytize. If you can refrain from doing so, you'll find an interesting group of people and probably make some new friends.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
29-12-2016, 02:32 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Hello, everyone. My name is Kathryn and I was an atheist for, at least, 15 years.

Hello Kathryn.

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I felt like I was just mentally breaking down every semester and becoming increasingly unhealthy. I discovered I had Asperger’s Syndrome, now Autism Spectrum Disorder, and, even with accommodations, I was forced to drop out.

This was, to me, the worst thing that could’ve happened. It was my lifelong dream to get a PhD, and, for a while, it was like my world had shattered. I’d never gotten to the point where I just didn’t want to read another scientific article or pick up another chemistry textbook. It was like all of my passion got beaten out of me. ...

It really seemed like we had everything. But after two years, it began to feel like it was just empty. I wasn’t depressed or anything.

Nope, definitely didn't lose it at all and were suffering no symptoms of depression.

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. ... I knew God was this infinite Love and that He was the source of all love in ourselves and in the world. I could see how He stretched on for all eternity and was so much greater than the universe and that He created the universe.

.. I knew how wrong I had been about the God of the Bible. I knew there is nothing bad about God and that He is pure and does everything for an ultimate good.

Well what could be more obvious, especially if preceded by a sufficiently altered state?

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I think we could have some interesting debates together. Of course, I’m open to any questions you have. If you’ve managed to make it this far, thanks for reading!

You're quite welcome. If you're happy with God, I'm happy for you. Best of luck.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
29-12-2016, 02:34 PM
(29-12-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Also, OP, have you had a chance to get your vision (as in eyes) checked? Seeing white flashes of light can be a symptom of retinal detachment (which can lead to blindness if left untreated).

They say acid flashbacks can do the same thing......

I did a lot of acid back in the day - and I've never had a flashback.....

I feel cheated.....

Weeping

Yabut, have you ever really tried?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-12-2016, 02:35 PM
(29-12-2016 02:31 PM)julep Wrote:  Hi. Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I wouldn't interpret the experience you had in the same way as you do. I've had peak experiences myself (so have many people); they were transcendent and wonderful, but I didn't interpret them as divine. I think your circumstances--having to give up long-held dreams, coming to terms with your ASD diagnosis, looking for a new direction and support and hope--may have influenced your interpretation. I'm glad you're feeling happy and settled now. My college-age son has ASD also (I'm probably Aspie), and I know that it's a huge challenge.

You haven't referenced anything that indicates that philosophical and moral objections you had to the god of your childhood don't still apply--if I read you rightly, the god who ordered Abraham to prepare to murder his son, who ordered the Israelites to slaughter the wives and children of their enemies, it's this god that love-bombed you. The ethical stuff may not bother you now, but it still bothers me, so I'm not interested in coming to your god. If he's a worthy god, he won't punish me for not seeing things his way, and if he's a shitty god, ah, well, whatever.

I hope you're not here to proselytize. If you can refrain from doing so, you'll find an interesting group of people and probably make some new friends.

Actually, people with ASD do VERY VERY well in many of the science and math related sub-specialties. They may even do better than most "normal" people, as they are willing to commit to the long hours of study and concentration. The idea that it is the cause of not doing well, is WAY off base. Myself and to a much greater extent my little brother are on the ASD continuum. We consider it an asset.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-12-2016, 02:53 PM
(29-12-2016 02:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:31 PM)julep Wrote:  Hi. Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Actually, people with ASD do VERY VERY well in many of the science and math related sub-specialties. They may even do better than most "normal" people, as they are willing to commit to the long hours of study and concentration. The idea that it is the cause of not doing well, is WAY off base. Myself and to a much greater extent my little brother are on the ASD continuum. We consider it an asset.

Of course many people with ASD excel in science and math. (And some don't--my son, autistic and an excellent musician and artist and writer, is much less strong in math and science, but his ASD-related concentration abilities and the way he hears things are helping him thrive.)

However, the OP feels that her difficulties at the college level had something to do with her ASD, and I'm going to take her word for it that that was true in her case. Maybe she didn't get the kinds of accommodations or assistance that she needed; maybe the psychological effects of getting the dx hit her hard and made things more difficult for her. Maybe another consequence of the late dx is that she hasn't figured out/been coached in how to leverage the advantages ASD gives her.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post